'99 Land Cruiser 90 Series diesel (Canada - JDM import)

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Mounted this aux fuse panel behind the rear seats, to the back of my drawers. Its a little hard to get to, so I mounted a magnet to the back of it, allowing me to take it off for closer examination if needed.
IMG_20200626_173010.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
One more update for now: right after I put my RTT on, NE Calgary had a nasty storm, complete with hail large enough to shred siding, and puncture windshields. Sheet metal made golf balls look smooth by comparison.

Thankfully Airdrie and other areas west were spared this time around, but it reminded me that with a rooftop tent on top, I'm not parking in the safety of my garage. Even with assistance from my roof winch and slider system, I'm 20 minutes away from having the tent dismounted.
IMG_20200616_185804.jpg

Where's this all leading? Well, I've been wanting an adventure trailer to mount an RTT on for a long time. It's high time to get busy and find one! (or maybe I've ALREADY found one?)

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
So im all packed up and heading out in the AM on a cross Canada adventure to get my M101CDN2 trailer. That will probably get it's own thread, but for now the tent is is sitting on top. Of course we've had two thunderstorms since then, with hail yesterday. Minor thankfully, and the Prado was unscathed. But it makes me happy to be going to get a trailer to put the RTT on.

No new mods... Simply putting my plans into action finally, for a big trip. My Sherpa camp organizer is sitting on my drawers in the back, and my little Dometic is sitting at 4°C.
IMG_20200708_165651.jpg

IMG_20200708_171640.jpg

If you look closely at the bottom right corner of the first pic, I managed to get my compressor in there, and the airline port for the airbags is mounted there as well.

Finally, I added a cheap LED aiming straight down from the roof rack since this truck has no rear interior lighting whatsoever.IMG_20200708_165716.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Did an oil change, and then left for Ontario to go get a Canadian Military trailer.

Just now back from the trip: approximately 3400kms or so. This little 90 had absolutely zero hiccups. The airbags kept things level at about 25 psi.

Fuel economy suffered a little with the RTT smacking so much wind. Went up to about 11.5L/100kms on the way East. Still not bad for full-time 4wd with a load.

IMG_20200710_215730.jpg

Once I threw the M101CDN2 trailer on the back, and turned back west, consumption took another small hit, reaching about 12.3 or so L/100 kms.

In terms of towing, the little diesel didn't really notice the trailer back there and I tended to forget until I'd catch a glimpse of it tailgating me into a corner. ?

The plan going forward is to move the tent onto the trailer, but leave the trailer
bed open for bikes and kayaks, while keeping the sensitive stuff like fridge and clothes inside the truck.

Meanwhile, I was happy with my drawer setup, and the other details i added prior to the trip.

IMG_20200712_202428.jpg

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Man I love following your build. Such a cool rig with tasteful additions! You have me wanting to look into those Camp Chef storage systems.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
The tent is now off the roof of the Prado and sitting atop its permanent new home on the M101CDN2
IMG_20200721_182137.jpg

IMG_20200716_180506.jpg
This means my 95 inch wheelbase is no longer a cargo handicap.

Next up? Getting psyched up to cut some gaping holes in the fender! :eek:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Man I love following your build. Such a cool rig with tasteful additions! You have me wanting to look into those Camp Chef storage systems.

Thanks Aggie! The camp chef is nice when you have limited space, for sure. The fact that the legs extend, allowing it to come out of the rig and turn into a table, is a bonus!

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
The day had arrived. My 83mm hole saw was hungry for some sheet metal to sink its teeth into.
Screenshot_20200729_101046.jpg
We decided to do two snorkels at the same time: mine, and my buddy's Pajero third gen with 4m41 diesel. Cigars and beers were ready, because having a snorkel-fest without cigars would break a tradition going back to 2008! :giggle:

Taped the template on.
IMG_20200726_103149.jpg

We are really doing this, aren't we. Oh boy... Okay here we go... Don't squeeze your eyes shut. Just... Drill!
IMG_20200726_125139.jpg

Despite the goofy safety glasses, I did manage to get the holes right, but it was not an easy task. This snorkel called for an oblong hole, owing to the snorkel's 90° elbow. I had to cut two holes with the hole saw, then cut the perimeter, along with the mounting holes, never mind even more holes in the A-pillar. Using a step drill helped. When all was said and done, I was left with several large metal discs.
IMG_20200726_134818.jpg

Meanwhile, my little gal stayed well out of the way of all the mayhem, knowing that this truck would NEVER receive the same harsh treatment.
IMG_20200726_192544.jpg

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
When the dust and cigar smoke cleared, and the paint dried, I was left with this:
IMG_20200726_193110.jpg
In case you're wondering, yes, I had to also cut a quasi-rectangular hole to relocate the indicator, and no it was not a walk in the park. Also, the stud hole in the top right corner would prove to be a "challenge" (more on that in a bit).

After having it mocked in place on and off about 17 times, adjusting the holes, positioning, and cutting about three inches off the neck of the snorkel (it looked a giraffe at first)… it was time to bolt it on. I had already put some of the studs in place, so the last one had to be screwed in in situ. Not a great time. But things were about to get worse. Remember that hole I warned you about? Yeah. I could see the stud with a flashlight, and I could hear it calling for a fender washer, but how in the heck was I going to make that happen? It was a good 12" up and over, from where I could reach, under the fender lip.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I tried all manner of magnets, extensions, etc, but I couldn't even get the nut started, let alone turning. It didn't help that it was a nylon lock nut. I switched to a serrated flange nut, and came at it from a different angle. By standing in front of the snorkel, and reaching back and down with my right hand (I'm a lefty so this wasn't fun either, plus our elbows only bend one way LOL), and going above the snorkel elbow instead of below, I was just able to reach the stud with my finger tips. After numerous attempts, I got the damned thing started.

Now I needed to get it tightened. I tried a 1/4" socket taped to a 24" bar, but there just wasn't room to turn it. Sometimes I'd get one click, but usually nothing. After some more frustration, I somehow manhandled a ratcheting 12mm wrench into the space, and was able to tighten it down properly, using my fingertips. Whew.

Okay, now I needed to fit the airbox connection. I began by completely removing the "boomtube" (because nobody likes an intake noise diffuser).
IMG_20200727_123344.jpg
Then I put the new connection hose in place with silicone under the rubber seals under the clamps on either end, just in case. The a-pillar mount came with rivets, which I substituted for nut-serts, drilled two more holes, and tightened the last two bolts.

Finally, I hooked up and snapped the fender indicator into its new home, and stood back to survey the damage... err... I mean... Finished product.

IMG_20200728_181606.jpg

IMG_20200728_181613.jpg

Its so low profile that I can't actually see it from the (RHS) driver's seat unless I lean forward. And any new intake noise is nullified by the compression ignition engine. ?

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
No real updates on this one, beyond getting it out and using it. I've hauled my new overland trailer a few times now, and it really does disappear behind the little diesel.

IMG_20200809_145927.jpg

Here's a story I wrote (part 3) about driving the Prado across the country in July, to get the trailer:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I thought it might be fun to share the video taken of my truck in Japan before it was exported to Canada last year. The original export company was Pacific Coast Auto. I had seen this on youtube a few months before the original Canadian importer decided to sell it... once I realized that the one in the video, and the one up for sale were the same truck.... I JUMPED on it. Not very often you get this much detail about a rig, pre-purchase.

Thanks to Derek from PCA. Although he didn't import it for me, I'm thankful he found it and did the work for the PO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles