99 Jeep XJ Intro and expedition "build" attempt! Plus some restoration.

HercDriver

Adventurer
I forgot to add I put in a DirtBound Offroad battery tray. It fit...with some slight modification. I had to take a monkey wrench and bend the seam down so the battery tray bottom would sit flat where the old one was. Not too much of an ordeal. Now the battery sits snug and doesn't move!

onemanarmy

Explorer
aww man...you replaced the best looking/rarest of the Jeep 16in wheels (with more appropriate backspacing) and replaced them with black wheels?

HercDriver

Adventurer
No real updates to post any worthy pictures.

The jeep is having a bad humming sound coming from the rear end. I dropped it off at the shop to have it looked at while Im over here playing in the sand. I also replaced a few parts inside the transfer case thinking the vibrations were coming from that. Well upon opening it up, the shift fork bushings were toasted. I put everything back together and it wont come out of 4wd. I was short on time so I dropped it off at the shop to have that and the humming in the back looked at. Its always something!

HercDriver

Adventurer
Snagged a 6 planetary gear set out of a '95 241C. Replacing the oil pump in the trans case and figured if throw it in there while it was open. Keep in mind the picture below it still has the 241c input shaft. You'll want to swap your original 231 into the planetary gear.
80-img_20171113_130728303_28e314668857f2c650f090d4d4a545031da402fd.jpg

HercDriver

Adventurer
Btw the hummin sound was coming from the play in the spider gears. So I ended up having put a whole new differential in the rear.

It appears all of the pictures from PB are all toast as well. I'll figure out a way to reload them.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Update!

So I sold the blue jeep back in Feb of 18 while starting a new job. I got away from Jeeps in general for the past year. One day last week the wife said "I miss the old Jeep, we should get another one...".

So without letting her changer her mind we picked up another XJ. 1997 Country w/ 155K on her. Drives well for an older jeep. Even has cruise and A/C.

IMG-0937small.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles