9800 Mile!!! 2006 Rubicon Unlimited LJ

Coarsegold1

I've got it on eBay. Thought it may interest one in the EP crowd: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292906581055

01.jpg

Clovis, CA
$32,500

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Nice rig. Do you have it on any of the Jeep forums?

That's the Holy grail in the TJ world

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Coarsegold1

Nice rig. Do you have it on any of the Jeep forums?

That's the Holy grail in the TJ world

That's why I'm struggling with stripping it. If it doesn't sell by late spring/early summer though, under the knife it will go! The only Jeep forum I listed it on is "JeepForum" so far.

Coarsegold1

Thanks for your opinion @sourdoughben. As someone who has built and wheeled Jeeps for 30 years, I wouldn't be able to share in most of your conclusions. A closer read of the parts list may have been helpful prior to casting your doubts.

A few thoughts:

1. A chief concern you noted related to angles and poorly designed kits. This doesn't have "kit," parts were all spec'd, and I would call specific attention both F/R track bar correction components, the adjustable JKS lower control arms, as well as the rear Nth Stinger; all mitigating factors to your noted angular concerns. There is a compromise to be paid any time you deviate from stock design; the question is whether your intended use justifies the cost. For most of us who wheel, the answer is yes (please see post #3 above).
  2. Another concern you noted related to tire size. While you are correct that the JL 44's appear to be of improved strength, if you are "regularly" snapping D44's with 35's, I would strongly argue that points much more to the driver than it does the axle.
  3. Although the auto JL is nice, that is typically a different buyer than those of us who seek manual LJ's. The value of this unit, and most other Rubi LJ's, has little relation to the latest Jeep offering. The value of LJ's is simply tied to limited supply and strong demand. Your argument would be akin to saying an original 427 Shelby Cobra should be worth less than the new GT500; as objectively the new GT500 is a better car in almost every measure; yet the Cobra will bring in 10x its value.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
You have the last of the great jeeps. I miss my 06 LJ every single day. Good luck with sell....wish I could justify that as a 3rd vehicle. I'd buy it and drop it down to a 33" tire and milder bumpers and drive it for the rest of my life.

Coarsegold1

You have the last of the great jeeps. I miss my 06 LJ every single day. Good luck with sell....wish I could justify that as a 3rd vehicle. I'd buy it and drop it down to a 33" tire and milder bumpers and drive it for the rest of my life.

I couldn't agree more the last great Jeep comment. The TJ/LJ series feel much more connected to the CJ lineage and what made Jeep what it is. Regarding 33's/milder bumpers, that is more in line with the last TJ I did:
Picture Set # 1 1283.jpg
Picture Set # 1 1566.jpg

Hoghead

Observer
My comments about TJ's can easily be found substantiated here.....https://wranglertjforum.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rzC_tHh3wIVBESGCh0P3w5EEAAYASAAEgKntPD_BwE
My opinions about a TJ at this price and a new JL is my own and comes from 45+ years as a mechanic and avid 4 wheeler. To each his own and I understand where you are coming from, a seller who wants the largest profit possible. Good luck with your sale.

If you want to bad mouth TJ’s/LJ’s, do it in your own thread in the Jeep section. It does not belong in this members for sale thread, nor does your opinion of the price.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I agree on the post above. I have a built 2004 LG with a Rubicon Express 4.5” lift. I replaced the stock transfer case with an Atlas II case, and replaced the front axle with a Currie HP Dana 44. ARB lockers front and rear. It’s an Arizona Jeep and rust free. I value it at a similar price point. The TJ is narrower and is much simpler than a new JL. Plus it’s an extended Jeep, better on the trails.

Vegastoy

Observer
I wheeled an 05 LJ Rubicon 6 speed with a 4" short arm lift and 35" tires for a couple years and never broke anything. I also thought the 35's were about perfect with the 6 speed manual and the stock 4.10's.

Will you be able to beat the crap out of it and expect no breakage? Probably not, but you can't do that with a JK or JL either... At least if your in an LJ you won't look like every other soccer mom at the stop light.

Put this thing on bring a trailer!

Coarsegold1

I wheeled an 05 LJ Rubicon 6 speed with a 4" short arm lift and 35" tires for a couple years and never broke anything. I also thought the 35's were about perfect with the 6 speed manual and the stock 4.10's.

Will you be able to beat the crap out of it and expect no breakage? Probably not, but you can't do that with a JK or JL either... At least if your in an LJ you won't look like every other soccer mom at the stop light.

Put this thing on bring a trailer!

We are definitely of like mind. On the Rubi, with the 4.46 first gear on the manual, you have ~ 73.1 crawl ratio. Plenty low to let the vehicle do the work and find its grove without hammering on it. I thought about BAT, and may still consider it in spring. I'm leaning pretty strongly against cutting this one up, so I'll likely simply wait for the right buyer and enjoy it a bit in the meantime as I search for the right LJ tub to start with.

Speaking of enjoying it, before I did the Jeep's photos for the listing, we took it up to the snow for a play day. So much fun!!!
DSC04536.jpg
DSC04550.jpg
DSC04565.jpg
DSC04576.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles