98 XJ 5.3 Swap and Other Stuff

stomperxj

Explorer
The motor swap is looking good. Were you able to clock your transfer case up any using that adapter plate? I have a plate for my FSB, but have not yet installed it. I would have to second the recommendation for using an explorer 8.8. It is a solid axle, and the c-clips wouldn't make any difference with a torsen diff. It has no clutches to wear and create clearance for the clips to fall out.

Thanks cajunrebel... I put the transfer case in the stock location. The cross member is lower than the case even in stock configuration. Plenty of room on my adapter plate design to clock it up if I chose to make another one later if it becomes an issue. I agree the 8.8 is a good axle but the 8.8 axles will fall out if you break an axle at the inner spline even with a Torsen diff. Like I stated earlier its too narrow and I already have (2) Dana 44s that came out of late 80's XJs so I'll stick with that. Doing an Explorer disc swap on it too...

stomperxj

Explorer
Made some progress on my fuel tank and got some wiring cleaned up. I'm using a classic industries fuel sender. I posted a video on my channel showing my bending process for the steel sheet too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwp9_iK_oyg

sm166_zpsc2x6hqij.jpg

sm167_zpsyjo8rdkc.jpg

sm168_zpsunfcvlzq.jpg

sm173_zps2g7covi0.jpg

sm169_zps7ylbkgnd.jpg

sm170_zpslsgkiddt.jpg

sm172_zps9xtvqpdj.jpg

And my interior is finally looking like an interior again.
sm174_zpszk1zsglf.jpg

Here's my power steering/tesioner bracket. I'm not going to show my god awful welds. First time using an aluminum spool gun. Hopefully the powder coat covers some of them up :)
sm175_zpsdd8civad.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Bullseye240

Adventurer
You mentioned using RTV on the fuel pump reminded me of the time my brother and his best friend built a 65 Mustang. His friends dad built a new aluminum tank for it. When they installed it they used silicone to seal up the sending unit. They found out the hard way that a bronze fuel filter won't even slow down the fine sand that silicone was made of. Plugged every port on the Holley four barrel and they had to blow the entire fuel system apart to flush it and all the contaminated gas to fix it.

stomperxj

Explorer
You mentioned using RTV on the fuel pump reminded me of the time my brother and his best friend built a 65 Mustang. His friends dad built a new aluminum tank for it. When they installed it they used silicone to seal up the sending unit. They found out the hard way that a bronze fuel filter won't even slow down the fine sand that silicone was made of. Plugged every port on the Holley four barrel and they had to blow the entire fuel system apart to flush it and all the contaminated gas to fix it.

Thanks for that.... I have since built a new piece for the fuel sender and pump with welded nuts on the inside instead of the rivnuts, just no pics yet. I figured it was going to be pretty hard to get anything to seal around those rivnuts even with RTV. So I pitched that one a built a new one. I wished I had placed the sender further away anyway so there were a couple reasons to do so.

stomperxj

Explorer
I've been working on my fuel tank and I took some parts to powder coat last week. Also made a cool air intake into the cowl. Ended up buying another set of tank straps as I cut mine when I took them out. Had to extend them to fit under the new tank.

sm176_zpsyzqm7u1w.jpg

sm177_zpsolhjdvnz.jpg

sm178_zps5t1plzis.jpg

sm179_zpsbechlpmt.jpg

sm180_zpsxrbu7uwd.jpg

sm181_zpstqauiulg.jpg

sm182_zpsljvkxr2j.jpg

sm185_zpsy3zwcwrs.jpg

sm186_zpsztirzfxu.jpg

I also need a new camera lens for my phone. These pics are getting super cloudy and look like ****... :)

stomperxj

Explorer
I threw my back out when I was putting the motor back in a couple weeks ago. My back is finally feeling better so I got some things done this past weekend. Made an adapter for my intake tube, got my fuel tank sealed on the inside and I have done more on the harness. Its really close to being done. Essentially just battery cables and a few small connections left to button up. Also you can see some of the pics are not blurry as ****. I finally ordered a new lens cover for my phone. Sorry for all the ****ty pics up to this point

sm187_zps9pkmf2jb.jpg

sm188_zpses8ovbhk.jpg

sm191_zpsb48sie6o.jpg

sm193_zpstvzjpdeb.jpg

sm192_zpsjzwj9sbs.jpg

sm195_zpscrvbhv5h.jpg

Also my neighbor is selling his XJ so he traded me his Ravines and General Grabber red letters for my black Soft 8's and BFG ATs. I plan on powder coating one of the sets of Ravines I have in the near future. Gotta have black wheels.
sm190_zps4bbyif0s.jpg

sm189_zpsonwtwd2x.jpg

Hopefully posting another video soon too.

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
nice work on that tank! How many gallons you figure?

31.6 total volume so I'm hoping to get a usable 29-30 out of it due to the shape of the top and the vent location. I could have made it bigger but that starts adding a lot of weight in the back when full. Its about 200lbs of fuel as it sits so I don't think it would be wise to go for more really.

unkamonkey

Explorer
That's a pretty good mod.
I can carry about 31 gallons on my 3B. More if I store some of the extra GI cans in the back, another 25 gallons? Fuel is good to have.

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
I'm exhausted.......... Exhausted........ is this thing on? :)

I made a pretzel out of tube. Disregard the booger welds:
sm196_zpso8rot2bk.jpg

sm197_zpstwajq42f.jpg

sm198_zpskeq6haqr.jpg

Part numbers:
Magnaflow 11219 Satin Stainless Steel 3" Oval Muffler
Magnaflow 94109 Universal 3" Catalytic Converter

2.5" mid pipes into 3" cat/muff all the way out the back.

indiedog

Adventurer
Geez mate, you got that thing together quickly! No restrictions in that that I can see. No drama getting it in and out once all together? Should sound pretty awesome too. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles