98 XJ 5.3 Swap and Other Stuff

HercDriver

Adventurer
So you picked up an S10 27 spline input shaft with 6 planetary gear...is the 460LE or whatever it is 27 spline too?

stomperxj

Explorer
So you picked up an S10 27 spline input shaft with 6 planetary gear...is the 460LE or whatever it is 27 spline too?

Yes and yes the 4L60E is a 27 spline. Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly certain the 4L60E/700R4 are all 27 spline. The major differences are the 4L60E went to a 2 piece case (removable bellhousing) in the mid/late 90's sometime and the rear bolt pattern changed to a 6 hole pattern at some point as well. After posting this on another forum a member there said not all the early S10 cases had 6 pinion planetaries. I guess I lucked out. They all did have wide chains in them though.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Thanks for the clarification. I actually had a 6 planetary gear set from a random case but disposed of it because I had the wider teeth version and my case in my 99 has the sharper teeth. If that makes sense lol. Guess I should have kept it.

Yes and yes the 4L60E is a 27 spline. Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly certain the 4L60E/700R4 are all 27 spline. The major differences are the 4L60E went to a 2 piece case (removable bellhousing) in the mid/late 90's sometime and the rear bolt pattern changed to a 6 hole pattern at some point as well. After posting this on another forum a member there said not all the early S10 cases had 6 pinion planetaries. I guess I lucked out. They all did have wide chains in them though.

stomperxj

Explorer
Got my transfer case all buttoned up. Gave it a coat of paint too. You can see in one pic below I had to bore out and tap the VSS hole to M22x1.5 for the 05 VSS. Had to make a little spacer to go below it too. Also got my adapter plate drilled and tapped. Just waiting on a new countersink from McMaster so I can finish the other 6 holes. Should be able to bolt it up this week sometime-

sm156_zpsthfzzeoo.jpg

sm160_zpsd1owxjwf.jpg

sm158_zps2skcc1va.jpg

sm159_zpsatqzct57.jpg

I ordered a bunch of exhaust tubing too so I can get that finished. Hopefully I can hear this thing run in the next week or two.

stomperxj

Explorer
Anticipation must be killing you, I can't wait to hear it run!

Yeah I'm getting pretty anxious to hear it run. I'm close though. Once I know it runs then I can pull the motor/trans back out, finish cleaning underneath and in the engine compartment and start cleaning up and looming the rest of the harness, run some fuel line, build a fuel tank, finish the exhaust.... lots more to do still :) Then after that, this thing is getting a freshly rebuild set of axles under it too. D44 rear with limited slip, D30 front with selectable locker, 4.10 gears, big brake kit on the front and a rear disc swap too. After I'm done this will have nearly a 100% new drivetrain in it. I need to get this sucker done so I can start on the new trailer :)

Mitch502

Explorer
Have you considered a 8.8 for the rear? You can get them already geared 4.10 nad the aftermarket support is pretty big! The brakes even work as-is, and after like 97 pretty much all were disc.

stomperxj

Explorer
Have you considered a 8.8 for the rear? You can get them already geared 4.10 nad the aftermarket support is pretty big! The brakes even work as-is, and after like 97 pretty much all were disc.

All true statements and they are a strong axle for sure but they are 1.5" narrower than the stock XJ axle and are also a c-clip axle. I already have 2 XJ D44s on hand so I'm going to stick with that. I am using 8.8 discs for my conversion though :)

dsm02c

Adventurer
This XJ build along with your previous trailer are truly awesome. I'm always impressed by your work. I would love to build an XJ with a healthy V8!

Serious question though, regarding the rear axle, why an LSD over some type of selectable locker? Is there a benefit to using an LSD? I'm assuming you can set it up to slip as little or as much as you want before it fully engages. Reason I'm asking is I have seen a few built XJ's in my area using an LSD in the rear but a selectable locker up front... I get the selectable locker on the steer axle...

stomperxj

Explorer
This XJ build along with your previous trailer are truly awesome. I'm always impressed by your work. I would love to build an XJ with a healthy V8!

Serious question though, regarding the rear axle, why an LSD over some type of selectable locker? Is there a benefit to using an LSD? I'm assuming you can set it up to slip as little or as much as you want before it fully engages. Reason I'm asking is I have seen a few built XJ's in my area using an LSD in the rear but a selectable locker up front... I get the selectable locker on the steer axle...

Thanks for the nice comments dms02c. I'm a believer in having a front locker in off road vehicles over the rear. Typically selectable lockers are not a limited slip when not engaged and I want to have better traction on the street when in 2wd. Torsen LSD diffs seem to be pretty good at distributing power equally so I decided to go with one of those. I don't think they are adjustable though. I haven't ordered any parts for the axles yet.

I got my countersink and studs in so I finished up the adapter plate this weekend and got the tcase installed.

sm161_zpsdemezfte.jpg

sm162_zpseiqzz5cw.jpg

sm163_zpswcklog8r.jpg

I also ordered an exhaust system. Some assembly required :)

sm164_zpsq2xojnpm.jpg

cajunrebel

The motor swap is looking good. Were you able to clock your transfer case up any using that adapter plate? I have a plate for my FSB, but have not yet installed it. I would have to second the recommendation for using an explorer 8.8. It is a solid axle, and the c-clips wouldn't make any difference with a torsen diff. It has no clutches to wear and create clearance for the clips to fall out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke