98 XJ 5.3 Swap and Other Stuff

stomperxj

Explorer
Great work Stomper!
I completed a 5.3 swap into my CJ 7 a couple of years ago. What a difference. Best mod I've done. It would have been much easier if I wasn't in California. I had to keep mine smog legal. I always thought a 5.3 in a Cherokee would be the perfect solution. Subscribed!

Thanks John. I'm looking forward to the power and the mileage increase for sure :)

I made some progress yesterday and today on some smaller stuff. Got the air box mounts done and the 4" outlet welded on. Chopped up the factory GM plastic computer holder and made some mounts for it. Got the gas pedal modified too. Just have to drill an upper hole for the top bolt and that should be mounted and done. Disregard the booger welds. Not my prettiest work but they are plenty strong.

sm112_zps3giqny86.jpg

sm113_zps33zg3l7s.jpg

sm115_zps5b48kmrf.jpg

sm121_zpsn6vopnxh.jpg

sm122_zpsol0u69bu.jpg

sm123_zps7izjxsos.jpg

sm124_zpsh1hydand.jpg

sm128_zpsqpjrby9v.jpg

sm129_zpsiec36wgj.jpg

And I threw everything in the engine bay to check fitment and to get an overall shot of how everything fits
sm127_zps1mgds0fx.jpg

Thanks for looking-

Jess

stomperxj

Explorer
************. Is the airbox from the yukon?

Thanks Herc - The airbox is from an early 90's Mitsubishi Mirage. Looking around at the local u-pull yard there are a handful of 90's Mitsubishi cars that have nice steel airboxes in them. There are a couple mid 90's GM round filter boxes too like off of an Olds Cutlass cruiser but I thought the filters were too small. This one was a good find for sure :)

Edit-
Here is a pic of the filter. Decently sized and super cheap. Like $5 ea on rockauto cheap.
91 Mirage Air Filter_zpsolko7b5i.jpg

Last edited:

HercDriver

Adventurer
That filter and the placement of it would allow for a perfectly placed pipe for a snorkel. Just sayin' ! :beer:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Thanks Herc - The airbox is from an early 90's Mitsubishi Mirage. Looking around at the local u-pull yard there are a handful of 90's Mitsubishi cars that have nice steel airboxes in them. There are a couple mid 90's GM round filter boxes too like off of an Olds Cutlass cruiser but I thought the filters were too small. This one was a good find for sure :)

Edit-
Here is a pic of the filter. Decently sized and super cheap. Like $5 ea on rockauto cheap.
91 Mirage Air Filter_zpsolko7b5i.jpg
Does it flow from firewall side towards the radiator? Interested in seeing your workAround for the brake MC.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stomperxj

Explorer
That filter and the placement of it would allow for a perfectly placed pipe for a snorkel. Just sayin' ! :beer:
I'm still brainstorming about this :)

Does it flow from firewall side towards the radiator? Interested in seeing your workAround for the brake MC.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes firewall side towards the radiator. The inlet to the airbox is on the back outboard side so there is enough room to run an intake tube up to the cowl at the very least. I'll snap a pic of that area and post it later

stomperxj

Explorer
Great work! Did you consider adding OBA or dual batteries?

Thanks K2 - I have an MV50 air compressor mounted in the passenger rear quarter panel behind the trim panel. I did that when I installed my front ARB locker. Haven't had a need for dual batts yet. I may throw in an Optima at some point though.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I know it is more work, but since everything is new doing it now while it is pulled apart would be easier. Using a stock a/c for 5.3 for OBA would be sweet, but you seem to far for that.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Could you rotate the filter 90* clockwise? That could make the inlet meet a snorkel and the outlet aim at the motot. A square or rectangular plenum could be made to reach the intake...especially with your skills. My snorkel tubing is round and was a pita.
a66b560178add787358fc40d723f7bfc.jpg
fc39cbe90f0c9de99c8977097013c8d8.jpg

And a second battery fits the rear without a lot of work.
394b3cfe895f6eefa0a315c34915432b.jpg
fcd1b8b6bb7888f9b42251964a64d3ca.jpg

stomperxj

Explorer
I know it is more work, but since everything is new doing it now while it is pulled apart would be easier. Using a stock a/c for 5.3 for OBA would be sweet, but you seem to far for that.

I'm actually using the GM a/c compressor for a/c :)

Could you rotate the filter 90* clockwise? That could make the inlet meet a snorkel and the outlet aim at the motot. A square or rectangular plenum could be made to reach the intake...especially with your skills. My snorkel tubing is round and was a pita.
And a second battery fits the rear without a lot of work.

Yeah I tried that airbox a bunch of different ways and that was the best fit for this setup. Your battery is right where my MV50 is mounted... in the rear pass quarter panel.

sm005_zpsmzrkgz0c.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I'm actually using the GM a/c compressor for a/c :)

Yeah I tried that airbox a bunch of different ways and that was the best fit for this setup. Your battery is right where my MV50 is mounted... in the rear pass quarter panel.

sm005_zpsmzrkgz0c.jpg
I hear ya.... Jeeps are always trial and error. I'm sure you'll nail it.
How do you like the MV50? I'm gonna mount something on the drivers side and can't afford the ARB big boy

stomperxj

Explorer
I hear ya.... Jeeps are always trial and error. I'm sure you'll nail it.
How do you like the MV50? I'm gonna mount something on the drivers side and can't afford the ARB big boy

I'd say its adequate for running an ARB locker and filling up an occasional tire. Airing up all 4 would take longer than a higher quality unit but I haven't had any trouble with it.

stomperxj

Explorer
Sorry, I assumed with the compressor mia and a belt on your were not running one.

I just have to do some slight trimming on the flange on the frame rail for the compressor. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm pulling the motor/trans back out one more time. It will go on after the motor goes back in permanently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles