98 E-350 Type II McCoy Miller Ambulance Conversion

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d question if your glow plugs are working properly. That said diesels like to be driven so time may also help

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Good call, I'll check there first.
In my case the Glow plug relay GPR was cracked down the side and the copper disc was burnt and charred. None of the arc marks looked fresh... it appeared it hadn’t functioned in a long time.
I bought new glow plugs and a GPR. After changing the GPR, it became apparent that my plugs are working fine. On a cold day it’ll have a small puff of white and be a bit sluggish for the first block with 30 seconds warmup.

Well below freezing it starts no problem and is drivable Within minutes,

In my case the Glow plug relay GPR was cracked down the side and the copper disc was burnt and charred. None of the arc marks looked fresh... it appeared it hadn’t functioned in a long time.
I bought new glow plugs and a GPR. After changing the GPR, it became apparent that my plugs are working fine. On a cold day it’ll have a small puff of white and be a bit sluggish for the first block with 30 seconds warmup.

Well below freezing it starts no problem and is drivable Within minutes,
Nice. The GPR was replaced after I purchased, so that should be good. I'll move to the plugs themselves.

Deshet

Adventurer
30-60 minutes? Tell me you are joking.

If it’s below freezing I’ll idle for 30-60 seconds before moving. I then take it easy for 5-10 minutes... it’ll be a bit sluggish for a few minutes till the combustion chamber warms up.

Start running synthetic oil, this really helps with cold starts.
It should not get cold enough in NC to really have to wait on glow plugs
A Bad glow solenoid won't give a code, testing it isn't hard (google test procedures)
Try plugging in for an hour to see if that changes things
Make sure both of your batteries are good.
Change your transmission fluid and filter
Change your fuel filter

Get the torque pro app and Bluetooth obdii reader and do a buzz test. It is common for the injector harness to fail. Parts are cheap but they are a pain to replace.

If you have extremely high engine hours 12,000+ your injectors may need a rebuild.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles