98 4runner front spring recomendations

I recently bought a '98 4runner SR5 and I am looking for recommendations for new front springs. I've searched a bit but have not found the info I'm looking for.
The previous owner put a 1.25" Daystar strut spacer lift with Bilstein 4600 shocks in the front and 1.5" Daystar spacer lift with Bilstein 4600 shocks on the rear. The front spacers seem to allow the CV joints to droop just a little too far. I'm running new LT265/75R16 BFG KO2 tires on stock aluminum wheels, and I have put on an ARB Bullbar front bumper which caused the front springs to sag a bit. The front sway bar has been removed. Intended use is southern Utah desert trails (San Rafael Swell, Moab, Capitol Reef, etc) with typical off road recovery gear, camping gear, and cooler for a weekend trip (moderate weight).
I'm wanting to remove the front Daystar spacers and replace them with 2" to 3" front lift springs.
What are your experiences with the OME 2881, 2882, or 2883 springs on the 3rd gen 4runner, or any other spring recommendations? Thanks for your help!

volkinator

I did the Tundra 5100 adjustable shocks with the Tundra TRD coils, but have also heard good things of the Eibach coils too for the front. Have no complains. I'm at 2.5" or so in the front on the lowest perch of the 5100's, but the second perch should support the added weight well. They're a progressive coil, and I think they ride really well.

This is my favorite review of the difference really. OME vs. TRD Suspension Review

tip

Adventurer
I did the front Eibach/Toytec springs with Bilstein 5100 struts. They were a great upgrade, especially for the $$$. Would definitely recommend them.

I did the front Eibach/Toytec springs with Bilstein 5100 struts. They were a great upgrade, especially for the $$$. Would definitely recommend them.
Thanks!
How much lift did the Eibach springs provide? Do you have a bumper and / or winch in front?

tip

Adventurer
They gave me a solid 3", probably closer to 3.5" but I never measured. I don't have a winch and bumper yet, but plan on adding in the future. The 5100's are nice since they have an adjustable spring perch, mine are on the lowest setting right now.

I bought my ARB bumper from Kurt back in December! Great folks and if I go OME on the springs, I will definitely get them from Cruiser Outfitters. Thanks!

Thanks Kurt,
I'll get with you next month on this. Is there any reason that the OME springs wouldn't work with my Bilstein 4600 (BE5-2450) front struts?

2scars

Adventurer
There may be issue with whether the shock can control the spring, and also whether it is long enough to accommodate the spring and the travel that is intended. I had 881s with Bilstein adjustable on my previous Tacoma (03 Ext cab 4 cyl) and 882s with OME nitros on my current Tacoma (03 D-cab 6 cyl) which is similar in weight to your 'runner. I have a tube bumper, winch, and heavy skid underneath and it rides about 2.5 over stock. I drive it 500 miles a week and have baby toting duty, and neither of us complain.

Brandon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles