'97 Suburban: The Big Burgundy Burb

SouthEastSamuel

Weekend Adventurer
Back in 1996, my father decided it was time to buy a full-size and safe vehicle to haul his firstborn (me) around and have very little chance of getting hurt in any accident. That vehicle happened to be a burgundy all-around K1500 Chevrolet Suburban. Now, 20 years later, that same Suburban is my daily driver and a vehicle I never see myself parting willingly from. IMG_0668.jpg

It has around 193K miles (55K on the new motor), stock trans, stock rear 10 bolt axle, 265/75r16 Michelin M/S2's, tinted driver and front passenger windows, tip-top push button 4X4, and a soul for many adventures to come. At the moment, the Suburban's mission is to just get me from point A to point B on road, no off road excursions (just yet!). With a vehicle this big, I would love to make it semi-capable of mild off-the-beaten-path adventuring but at the same time being able to carry gear, friends, and whatever we may need for a new endeavor into the backwoods of the southeast.

This will be a very slow thread, but I would love if y'all had recommendations for where to go/what to do as a very inexperienced overland enthusiast with respect to vehicle modifications.

So far, my next "big" modifications to cross off the list are:
-Good communications radio
-Roof carrier for mountain bikes, kayaks, etc.
-Winch mounting system for when the 5,000lb Burb is bogged down

Nothing extravagant, but I see this actually going somewhere, other than just the garage!

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 29

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Just pick a destination and go! Spend your money on maintenance and fuel. Keep a running log of what worked and what did not. Prioritize your activities and add things that make doing what you like easier or more enjoyable. Whatever you do, try to avoid the mistake that many of us do (including me), which is the tendency to add all kinds of mods and equipment at the front end, delaying adventure, and wasting hard earned money.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Always nice to see another 'burb! Yours looks good. I'm assuming it's the 5.7?
Hey tell me about that sweet looking GMT-800 'Burb that's in the picture next to yours. Looks like a 2500 (I think I can see 8 lugs?)

SouthEastSamuel

Weekend Adventurer
bknudtsen, I saw an incredibly nice ARB front bumper for the 88-98 K1500 trucks, but, like you said, it would be too heavy and unneeded as the stock bumper is pretty solid already with good clearance (minus the plastic air dam). When the time comes, I'll most likely go with a Warn Trans4mer winch mounting system. Not a full front end replacement, while getting the job done of mounting a winch, lights, and some added front end protection.

Martinjmpr, it is the 5.7, and I am very fortunate that it isn't the larger of the gas engines offered that model year, the other being a 7.4L. You have a good eye, it is the 8-lug! It has the 8.1L monster gas engine, and my uncle purchased it to haul the family's camper to camp in the mountains in North Carolina. Now that the camper is gone, my cousin has it and has done all the modifications to it (35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers, H2 8-lug wheels, front end lift, light bar, etc.). It came with the limited slip rear differential, which hasn't had to be put to too much use. This was either the second or third Suburban that my uncle owned (Chevy does run deep!).

ExplorerTom, we still are not entirely sure of the story behind the twin engine; my dad, a family friend and I were flying doing IFR approaches when the incident happened. It looked like the fuel cap was not fully on when the plane departed, and after seeing that, the pilot came back to the airport and either forgot to put the landing gear down or they would not deploy. Either way, no injuries were reported and the twin had to be carted off, very sad to see.

Texans Outdoors

TexansOutdoors.com
FullSizeRender.jpg
I've got a 99 just like her. I just dropped in a new crate 5.7, new A/C system, new front end. Now I'm saving up for a 2" lift and tires.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I love the look of that `Burb´! It looks just like the one in the series the Sopranos....:drool:

SouthEastSamuel

Weekend Adventurer
I definitely do want to keep going with the thread for a good while, despite my lack for additions for the 'Burb.

IMG_0982[1].jpg

Decided today to go out and try the truck on a local trail. 4Lo still works great, and it just crawled up and down hills properly. Seems good to go for more minor exploring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles