97 Suburban 2500 454, bad torque converter?

borison

Adventurer
Different generation, different transmission, but just as a point of reference a local transmission shop rebuilt the 4L60E in my 1500 Suburban for exactly $2k. If I was in your position I'd just figure ~$2500 for a new transmission and base your offer on that assumption. If the truck is in good shape otherwise (body especially) and you can get it for $500 that's $3k for a running 2500 with a 454. I'd call that a decent price.
That’s almost exactly what I was thinking. Haven’t seen the inside yet or up close on the outside, but I feel if they are good, it might be worth it.

lilkia

Different generation, different transmission, .

No. It has nothing to do with the generation. All 7.4 gmt400 2500s and 6.0/8.1 gmt 800 2500s have the 4l80e, 4l85e or Allison (P/U). Some of the 5.7 gmt400 2500s (P/Us) based on the 1500 <7600lb gvw truck frame may have a 4l60e but as far as I know they also had the 4l80e.

lilkia

Borison make sure you do a compression test on the motor. If the compression is bad youre looking at a rebuild, crate or JY engine.
If you have an obd2 tool check the distributor to make sure its zeroed out. The timing on those isnt set by turning the distributor its done by the computer. The torque app and bluetooth plugin should work although you may need the paid version.
Another thing to check is the distributor gear itself. On my old truck it had worn so the teeth were like knife edges instead of being squared off. Any of the above issues will make it feel like it has no power.
If the body and interior are solid and clean it may be worth doing the above for the right price. I saw a lot of decent gmt400 2500 454s for under $5k with less than 150kmiles when I was looking. If they would have had barn doors I would have bought one. There were several available in AZ, or NV if your close to there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94