97 LX gets a v8 and more!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So a buddy of mine in Colorado has been on the hunt for an 80 series with a bad motor or with high mileage. He wants an 80 with a v8 which is why he has been seeking the truck with a bad motor. He has been looking for like 3-4 months at least but I think we just found the right truck 100 miles from me.

It is a 97 LX, California truck with a bad engine. Really clean truck besides the bad motor. Body and chassis look stellar, seats have the typical 20yrs of use look to them. He has already got a locked 95 Cruiser.

So here is our plan;
-6L with 6L80e. We have a specific budget so if we can get this within that budget that is what we are after, if not a 6L with the 4L80e. A 5.3L or a 6.2L are also on the cards but due to budget I think we will end up with the 6L, hopefully with the 6L80e.
-We will use either the 60 series split case or the 80 t-case. I am pushing for the 60 split case.
-Locked axles from the 95 going in. We will just swap them out with the LX axles.
-2.5" lift, 33-35" rubber. I am pushing him to go 35s.

Right now this is it, we are not doing bumpers or other mods, he will do up the seats/interior but not until later. Once he has the truck on the road I am sure he will do more to it but for now keeping it basic and simple and within budget on the build. I should be getting the truck over here to my shop next week, weather depending, right now we are getting lots of snow and I want clear roads to tow it back here. During January we will source the engine, trans, adapter, lift, tires and other items we will need. He is putting that ball in my court for the most part, I will source the engine & trans and get the best I can with what he has to spend. I am probably going to KoH so right after that my buddy will come up here to my shop for a week and we will bang out as much of this as we can. We are just going to mount up the drivetrain, I will then take the truck to Boise, Idaho to a few guys I know over there. One being 208 Motorsports who will do all our wiring and tune. Another in Boise being exhaust shop/work.

I will document this build as it happens. Obviously it won't be until February until we get the truck in the shop and start yanking and cutting. In the meantime, get the LX here to my shop and acquire all the gear we need. Here is a few pics of the LX for now.....

97-lx-1-jpg.1179961

97-lx-jpg.1179962

97-lx-2-jpg.1179965

Cheers

zimm

Expedition Leader
you going for the 3:1 tcase? did gm sell anything with a 5.3 and the 3:1 case?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier