97 F350 ZF-5 Swap info quest

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hi guys. I got a call from Santiago Chile this morning and my friend who bought my old F350 is looking to do a ZF swap. It is a 97 7.3 PSD F350 with E4OD. He has a tranny spotted and wants to confirm that it will work, and what if any other parts (aside from the obvious pedal and clutch etc) that he may not think of. Thanks guys!

Pics... When I owned it, followed by current state, and then the id plate from the ZF he has.
7AC2C71E-2431-42EE-A269-7F0057B5ACC4.jpeg599E95DB-89F6-47D6-96E5-67C45508475E.png41271D29-3EC7-4E0D-820A-5DB92ED5ECD9.png

Last edited:
According to my data direct from ZF that transmission will not work. It is/was from 4.9/5.8 Gas engine which has a completely different bellhousing pattern. He needs to be looking for one that came off a Diesel engine. Either S5-42 or S5-47 Diesel will work, but the S5-47 is the stronger of the two. It must be from a Diesel.
Here is a link to my Google Drive folder of the all the ZF data and info I have collected over the years. Make sure to read the Part Number Progression file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_vub54z-YcMODBmNkN4czEyVXc

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That’s perfect. I just enlarged another picture of the ID plate and it is an S5-47. Awesome.FDDE2237-7446-42AE-8F00-927C3EBACD46.png

Last edited:
Go with LUK for the flywheel and clutch combination plus their master and slave cylinder. If he manages to find a pedal assembly he will need to make a firewall brace from the clutch master cylinder to pedal hanger. Ford found out the hydraulic clutch was causing firewall flexing leading to cracks. Recall issued to reinforce the firewall

Chorky

Observer
Have you considered a 6 rather than the 5? A little more work. But I think well worth it.

Ari3sgr3gg0

I second going to the ZF6, you're already doing the work to swap a manual. May as well get an extra useable gear, and with a manual having a granny gear while off roading becomes invaluable

Chorky

Observer
I second going to the ZF6, you're already doing the work to swap a manual. May as well get an extra useable gear, and with a manual having a granny gear while off roading becomes invaluable
Especially with what looks to be an over-weight truck with a frame extension.

It looks super sweet though!!! Any more info on the camper?????????????? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94