97 F-350 CCLB build:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Dont worry about mileage too much. 150k is nothing for these new trucks, so long as it hasnt been beat to death and serviced regularly.

Just make sure to go thru the front end and steering components well if going to big rubber.
Death wobble isnt unheard of, and all it takes is a bit of slop to create a nightmare.

The 4:30s should be nice. Ive got the taller 3:73s and do think it would be served a bit better with lower.
Though they do just fine, but with the 35's I'm running, I just wont use the 5th/6th as often as I could.
But really no worries.... as they are both overdrives afterall.

gtbensley

Explorer
Idasho- I hope I’ve made a good decision. I think I have. Currently I’m looking at 2012-2015 trucks. All are 120-150k. One truck in particular is a 12 model. It has 150k on it....which is the most I’d want. But- it has aftermarket bumpers front and rear. It has 4.30 gears and factory locker in the rear. It has no gooseneck ball or fifth wheel, so it likely hasn’t been used to haul hard. It’s a long bed extended cab. It’s even a base model (rubber floor!!!) with power windows. I’m thinking I’m going to overlook the higher mileage it’s got and try to buy it if it seems sound. Otherwise there’s SEVERAL like yours. I’ll come home with one fairly quick. But the one I mentioned is the only 4.30 and locked truck. ALL the others are 3.73. I can live with 3.73....but I’m planning on 35-37” tires and prefer the lower gear set.

Go with the lower gears....I doubt you would be very happy with 3.73. The 6.2 sucks gas anyways, might as well have the power while doing it!
I am sad to see the 7.3 go, its been one of my favorite trucks to read about on this forum but I think you are making the right choice and I look forward to reading about your new purchase!

Seabass

Idiot
Go with the lower gears....I doubt you would be very happy with 3.73. The 6.2 sucks gas anyways, might as well have the power while doing it!
I am sad to see the 7.3 go, its been one of my favorite trucks to read about on this forum but I think you are making the right choice and I look forward to reading about your new purchase!

Thanks for the input. I won’t lie. There’s a big part of me that’s sad to see the obs go as well. But it just good economics. I love the truck, but I’ve drove it several years and it’s worth more than I paid for it. .......and I have two of them. So I still get to play. Thank you for the compliments on the old truck as well. I’ve greatly enjoyed building it and it has served me very well. You can expect to see some posts of the other truck soon as I’ll begin doing a few things to it now. The 6.2 truck (be it the one I’m looking at or a different one) will absolutely be messed with and modified I’m sure. I’m already picking out parts and considering possible modifications. I don’t know if I’ll just do it in this thread or start a new thread.

Seabass

Idiot
Well.....it’s gone. I sold it today. I got what I was wanting for it. But it’s weird to me that it’s not mine. I was very proud to have owned it, and it served me well. I’m sure the new owner will like it. He seemed like a fine young fella. I’m lined up to look at a Super Duty first thing in the morning several hours away. I’m hoping it’s what the current owner says it is...because I’ll be coming home with it! So here’s to the end of one adventure- and to the beginning of another!!!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Dont get too excited about hot-rodding the 6.2

Very little improvements to be made over stock.

Biggest (and only mod Id consider) is a tune via 5-star tuning.
Seems these motors are torque limited at low RPMs, and hands down the biggest seat of the pants change is to remove that limiter.

Ive considered it, but I want to get some serious seat time in our truck 100% stock before committing to a change.

I did lop off the second, larger muffler due to necessity. That certainly made it sound better ?
These new trucks are real quiet stock. Two cats, two mufflers, and a resonator.

gtbensley

Explorer
Well.....it’s gone. I sold it today. I got what I was wanting for it. But it’s weird to me that it’s not mine. I was very proud to have owned it, and it served me well. I’m sure the new owner will like it. He seemed like a fine young fella. I’m lined up to look at a Super Duty first thing in the morning several hours away. I’m hoping it’s what the current owner says it is...because I’ll be coming home with it! So here’s to the end of one adventure- and to the beginning of another!!!

Congrats! Lets see that new truck

Seabass

Idiot
I bought it! 2012 F-350. Drove from Nashville to central KY running 80 mph. Computer says 13 mpg. I’ll hand calculate soon. For now....lots of power. Huge usable rpm range! Locker works and the 4.30 gears are just fine. It’s night and day different than the obs I came out of.
7f29b74f7d727964e39887e914373b70.jpg
6e79149943316ade13efd2e198ed8ad7.jpg

eblau

Adventurer
What did you list your crew cab for? You don't have to tell me what you sold it for but I'm curious what your asking price was as we are sitting on two of them while watching the prices go into the stratosphere and it has me thinking!

Seabass

Idiot
What did you list your crew cab for? You don't have to tell me what you sold it for but I'm curious what your asking price was as we are sitting on two of them while watching the prices go into the stratosphere and it has me thinking!

$17,250. Had 160,000 miles. 5 speed. Original paint. Very good condition. Did have a couple very small rust spots. I’ll say this.....I had people lined up to look at it. First guy that saw it-bought it. I came down very little on my price. I’ve seen them listed higher. I might have gotten more- but that’s WAY more than I paid for it 6 years ago. So I’m happy. And it only took a few days of being listed. It’s over. I’ve already bought and moved on. I’ve no regrets. And the 6.2 that replaced the 7.3....WAY more power!

UHAULER

Explorer
It's crazy what those old trucks are selling for. I had an 02 f350 7.3 that I bought in 2010 for 17,500 and sold it 2 years ago for 16,500. Not as sweet deal as you got but it was time to off it when it was still nice and worth good money. My next truck will probably be an 05-10 f250/350 gasser.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I bought this 1995 OBS F350 Powerstroke new in September 1994 and stretched it. I still have it today as it's the only vehicle I have ever purchased new and now has a little over 200K miles. I have a complete service record that includes every gallon of diesel ever put in the truck. With all the other vehicles we have I have only driven this truck less than 3K miles in the last 2 years.

It's never been for sale however a guy offered me $20K for it last week and I said PAY ME!!!

Have not seen him since.

Oh well!!!

My 2 Centurions Feb 2014 2.jpgMy 2 Centurions Feb 2014 5.jpgSome guy

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Seabass I have read this thread over the past few days. I 100% get your decision to sell it and think you were wise to do so. Some times prices are just too good to pass up and when you see that, take advantage of it. Well done and I look forward to seeing what you do to/with the new rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles