97 F-350 CCLB build:

Seabass

Idiot
@Seabass any idea what type of mud flaps/ fender flare you have?

I am looking to slow down the gravel spray that is beating up my paint.

The flares are bushwacker street flares. They are ok. The extenda-flares on my other truck cover more and look better IMO. The mud flaps are home made. They were for a semi and I cut them down and used sheet metal screws to attach them to the inner fender wells.

Seabass

Idiot

Green and tan go together nicely. Put a green pinstripe between the tan and white.

I love all things green. But I would consider doing white line x on the bottom.

I’m getting a little longer in years now. Two tone trucks are more desirable to me than they used to be. Wrapping is definitely an option- I have a good friend who does that for a living. A green pinstripe would probably draw it together. I bet a white line-ex job on the cap would look really cool...but probably cost at least as much as paint. I hate to paint it myself. I’d rather have it green than crappy looking and white. I don’t like a bunch of stuff hanging on my truck. While I do like the “off road” look....I don’t want to take it too far. I honestly only have the swing out spare tire gate because the 35” spare uses up a lot of bed space. Otherwise....jacks, shovels, straps,etc live in a tool chest at the front of the bed. It’s one of the reasons I quit using the big basket....it screams “Hey look at me....I’m into OVERLANDING!” Pshhhhh! Nah man. I’m just a good ole’ boy who likes old ford trucks and camping (especially if I can mix the two). Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. I am still considering all the options. I can honestly say the cap and it’s color are growing on me just the way it is. Just had to get used to seeing the old truck with it on there. I’ll figure it out. Keep the ideas coming.

Pangle

Wanderer
I would personally use white monstaliner and do it myself.. Take you a few hours and 150$ or so bucks. Pretty much will last forever.

Seabass

Idiot
I would personally use white monstaliner and do it myself.. Take you a few hours and 150$ or so bucks. Pretty much will last forever.

You know....,that ain’t a bad idea. I ordered that kit where they send you a chip of every color. That stuff is pretty slick. I may need to look at it again. Might even be a tan color that could work. I appreciate the suggestion!

Pangle

Wanderer
Sure, I have used it for many of my builds and swear by the stuff.. Obviously prep is important for a quality job. Also the Tan they have is Called "desert Sand" I did one of my ambos in it. I think for the money its the best product i have found.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You know....,that ain’t a bad idea. I ordered that kit where they send you a chip of every color. That stuff is pretty slick. I may need to look at it again. Might even be a tan color that could work. I appreciate the suggestion!
Tan would look good. Or monstaline the truck green to match the canopy, lol

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I’m getting a little longer in years now. Two tone trucks are more desirable to me than they used to be. Wrapping is definitely an option- I have a good friend who does that for a living. A green pinstripe would probably draw it together. I bet a white line-ex job on the cap would look really cool...but probably cost at least as much as paint. I hate to paint it myself. I’d rather have it green than crappy looking and white. I don’t like a bunch of stuff hanging on my truck. While I do like the “off road” look....I don’t want to take it too far. I honestly only have the swing out spare tire gate because the 35” spare uses up a lot of bed space. Otherwise....jacks, shovels, straps,etc live in a tool chest at the front of the bed. It’s one of the reasons I quit using the big basket....it screams “Hey look at me....I’m into OVERLANDING!” Pshhhhh! Nah man. I’m just a good ole’ boy who likes old ford trucks and camping (especially if I can mix the two). Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. I am still considering all the options. I can honestly say the cap and it’s color are growing on me just the way it is. Just had to get used to seeing the old truck with it on there. I’ll figure it out. Keep the ideas coming.

I'm with you. I hate poser trucks that look like a rolling yard sale. Nobody needs a rope hanging on the outside of the truck. If your shovel is mounted outside, and has no scratches, you might be a fauxverlander.

Seabass

Idiot
Cable locks can make theft more difficult. But mostly it’s just that I don’t personally care for a cluttered up look....and Pappawheely is right. I see tons of people in my own little town with brand new high lift jacks, winches, tow straps- and my personal favorite- a shiny new chain hanging off the tow hooks. None of the stuff has ever been used. Jeep guys seem to do it a lot. Don’t get me wrong....they have really cool vehicles and are working hard to make them that way. I just don’t get into that. People love attention and promoting an image through their vehicles appearance. That fine. I don’t want to. My crap is all scratched, bent, broken, or greasy from use and I keep it put away. My truck is cool enough. It’s very “off road” like it sits. I only want stuff that helps me out. I like modifying my vehicles to make them perform better for what I need them to do. For me- anything else is a waste of my money. I have a horrible ribeye steak addiction and it’s expensive. So I need my money for that and not things hanging on my truck that I never use. My buddy described my ride like this.....”I see your truck cruising down the highway and I think- he could going on a long trip, or just decide to drop off the shoulder of the road and drive right up that steep bank and never spin a tire....and maybe do an engine swap once he gets to the top.” He also happens to know I like to carry plenty of tools. But I guess its whatever makes a person happy. I ain’t gotta pay for- or put the crap on their vehicles.....so let em’ have at it. And this has been a serious detour or hijacking of a thread.....luckily it’s my thread and I can take it where I choose!!!!

Seabass

Idiot
Today the truck does “truck stuff.”
64b272441295c3dffd09af368f25cd03.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
Kind digging the green actually. Reminds me of the two-tone Eddie Bauer look that Ford rocked a lot of

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It’s absolutely growing on me. I have two of these old trucks. They are basically identical- the difference being that the other truck has a 460 and a flat bed. It’s my work truck. Unfortunately a few days ago something screwed up with the clutch and it’s not really drivable. I already have a new clutch but am in the middle of spring planting and can’t stop to put the new clutch in. So...,I’m driving the diesel. Point is- I’m in it all day and getting to see it a LOT! So yeah....I’m actually starting to dig the green.

Seabass

Idiot
I’m in a spot I thought I’d not be in for a long time. The other day I had a guy walk over to my truck and try to buy it. I brushed him off, thanked him for the compliments he’d payed and went on my way. But it got me thinking. I kinda figured I’d keep the truck a lot of years since it’s a bit of a collector’s item. After all - it’s one of the last obs F-350’s to roll off the line. It’s a factory 5 speed and is in very good condition overall. Before I bought the truck there was a laundry list of “wants” that I decided I had to have. It met almost everything on that list. The only thing missing was a Detroit in the rear axel. But an easy enough add on.

So here’s the rub.....I got to looking at these trucks. They are worth way more than they are worth. I’ve got a dollar figure in mind that I think I MIGHT be able to get out of it and it would be enough to buy a 2011-2014 F-250 extended cab long bed with a 6.2 gas and power windows. My price range would put me looking at trucks with 100-150k miles. I have found one that already has a nice set of bumpers, 4.30 gears, and a factory e-locker. It’s just what I’d want. But since I really like base model trucks that are white there’s an almost unlimited supply of well maintained fleet trucks available.

The last consideration is an automatic transmission. I have two of these OBS trucks and both are 5 speeds. I admit I get tired of shifting all the time. Sometimes you just want to drink a cup of coffee on the way to work while you are shifting and steering at the same time. It gets old. My wife has a Super Duty with a gas and auto and it’s great. This is another point.....she can’t drive a manual and I’ve given up on teaching her. It would be nice to have something else she could drive if her truck is down, or if I’ve “celebrated” a little too much and she needs to drive us home and we are in my truck.

Just wanted some opinions. I don’t really want to sell my truck- but it’s just a mater of smart economics that’s driving my thinking. The truck is worth a decent chunk of money for what it is. These trucks are in HIGH demand right now. I also don’t love diesels like some do. They have their place.....I’m just not sure it’s with me. Thanks in advance fellas. I’m looking for honest opinions. Don’t hold back. My skin is thick.

MTCK

Observer
Worth more than they are worth is a good way of summing it up. I turned my nose up at the modern conveniences of a new rig until I bought one for a daily driver. The feature I like most is not having to pull maintenance on it constantly. If you’re over it might as well cash in on the romance folks seem to have for driving a 22 year old rig with a bunch of miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles