97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I like Pioneer decks myself. They are hardy. You might need a mounting kit as well and a wiring harness from Amazon. I would go with something with a front aux input and a front USB input with iPod controls. That way you can easily plug in external audio sources for long drives where there's no radio. I go for podcasts and playlists (KISW The Men's Room is my go-to podcast).

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I'll shop for those features... those and hands free for the phone (although I wish it could just be left behind)

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
image.jpgimage.jpg
Freshened up the rear wheels a few days back before the rain started... Now the front wheels look crappy.

More of a 20' paint job. Rustoleum rattle can saves the day.

Also had a package arrive in the mail from Abitibi... Thanks Dave. Now I have a working Volt meter to replace the broken one.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Working Volt meter to monitor house batteries

Thanks again.
image.jpg

Also fixed a broken wire to the map light & replaced its blown fuse.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
110v heat

Thought I'd post a pick of the heater I installed... more than a year ago. It fits above the cabinet like it was designed for the space.

Originally designed to mount in the toe kick area below the counter. It had options to wire it for 110/220 v and a range of outputs. Back when I installed it I configured it for 400 W & 110 v.
I find it keeps the chill off the truck... & for less than $0.05/hour. One day I'll add a thermostat, but for the time being it's set up on a timer so it comes on for a while before I need to drive it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Almost got a CD Player out of an '03 Escape. Does anyone know if I can easily pull the female sockets off the back of my radio, and wire them in place of the '03 connectors?

They changed after 97 :(

Some companies make a conversion harness, but after getting the radio, the harness, and shipping, I could buy a new radio for less. Kinda like keeping the stock look... but don't want to pay more for fewer features.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Stereo Update

IMG_5870.jpg

I've wanted more options for music since I got the rig. However, I'm trying to keep things looking as stock as possible yet have better functionality.

The sound is much fuller and louder than the stock radio.

IMG_5873.jpg

Any opinions? It's a newer 2003 Ford Escape CD player with a 60 watt amp versus the 15 watt radio it replaced. It did require a reverse wire harness to plug into the new radio (71-1771) and a harness to fit the OEM wiring from Walmart.

Writeups indicate it'll store 150+ songs on a burned disc. I've not tested that feature, but it did play the most scratched up cd I had laying around without skipping.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
View attachment 378162

I've wanted more options for music since I got the rig. However, I'm trying to keep things looking as stock as possible yet have better functionality.

The sound is much fuller and louder than the stock radio.

View attachment 378163

Any opinions? It's a newer 2003 Ford Escape CD player with a 60 watt amp versus the 15 watt radio it replaced. It did require a reverse wire harness to plug into the new radio (71-1771) and a harness to fit the OEM wiring from Walmart.

Writeups indicate it'll store 150+ songs on a burned disc. I've not tested that feature, but it did play the most scratched up cd I had laying around without skipping.

What are these CDs you speak of? Just kidding. While walking the dogs the other night I saw a tape on the side of the road with the tape all strung out. It was quite nostolgic. I hadn't seen anything like that since the 90s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94