97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Coachgeo

Explorer
For your application it sounds like a top loading CRF Dometic (or similar) would be better. In the box it could sit in a compartment or on a shelf... once you arrive, you can carry it out and chain it to the rear bumper ;) .....
this is exactly what I have..... guess I did not describe it well.... will add "top loading" to original post so it makes more since. Just called it a fridge/cooler for lack of a better term in original post. Doubt you could just pick it up when full. Its not little; for it is one of the largest Dometics you can get. Ended up with it knowing it was a bit big... but was on sale as a refurb/return so I got a good deal.... like 40% off like deal.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pr...lers/electric-coolers/dometic-cf-110-_-139579

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Love the clearance height notice. I'll have to steal that idea.

The clearance height notice is standard for all BC ambulances... It's useful to know when traveling code III towards a bridge. The only factor I need to keep in mind is that it's now a tad over 8'6" rather than the 8'3" on the label.

I find it helpful to have the label in both metric and imperial.

Clearance.jpg

My newer dash has the label in white with yellow print rather than the clear... the clear shows bubbles underneath it.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
But does your newer dash have the correct height listed after modification?

I like the location of the label, and in my case I think I'll show it in feet and inches as well as just inches, because I have seen it displayed both ways. Yes, I can do math in my head, but who wants to be dealing with that as you're about to go under a bridge or enter a parking garage?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The clearance height notice is standard for all BC ambulances... It's useful to know when traveling code III towards a bridge. The only factor I need to keep in mind is that it's now a tad over 8'6" rather than the 8'3" on the label.

I find it helpful to have the label in both metric and imperial.

View attachment 490075

My newer dash has the label in white with yellow print rather than the clear... the clear shows bubbles underneath it.
But does your newer dash have the correct height listed after modification?

Nope... but it's only off by about 3.5" or about 0.09 m. I'm still more or less "Stock" height. Only 4k lb leaves and Moog 808S springs.

patoz

Expedition Leader
3.5" is enough to do some serious damage to your vehicle, so why not just replace the label with the correct dimensions?

I'm even considering mounting a camera on the roof at the rear and aimed forward inline with the highest point, so I can visually confirm it will go under any obstacle. After all, tree limbs in the woods don't have height clearances posted.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

I'm even considering mounting a camera on the roof at the rear and aimed forward inline with highest point, so I can visually confirm it will go under any obstacle. After all, tree limbs in the woods don't have height clearances posted.
Interesting idea. Probably overkill for anything I'm going to do with my rig, but tree branches can be tricky to work around.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Interesting idea. Probably overkill for anything I'm going to do with my rig, but tree branches can be tricky to work around.

Back in the 80's, I was camping in a pay campground with just my Toyota 4Runner and basic camping gear, and I got to watch an amazing show of what happens when a rather larger RV pulls into a campsite around midnight and gets overhanging oak limbs caught between the two A/C units on the roof.

This was an amazing show that went on for at least two hours of him trying to maneuver the vehicle forward and backwards and his wife standing on the ground yelling at the top of her lungs at him. I was sitting around the fire enjoying an adult beverage and laughing my butt off. It finally ended about 4 hours later when a maintenance worker from the campground showed up with a chain saw, climbed up on top of the RV, and cut the limbs away. I wouldn't be surprised if that trip didn't cause that couple to get a divorce!

cjken

Explorer
Mine is just under 9ft tall. (8’7-8’9) including the roof vent.
I keep thinking I want to add a rooftop AC, but really don’t want to go any higher.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Mine is just under 9ft tall. (8’7-8’9) including the roof vent.
I keep thinking I want to add a rooftop AC, but really don’t want to go any higher.
I understand.

As it is I’m debating which direction to install the 100w panel I have on the roof. Length wise down the middle would increase the overall height since the box tail is still higher than the front of it. Across the front of the roof would theoretically increase drag, however, typing it makes me realize it make any difference on something this big. But centred/offset, and if offset to which side?

There is a small (10-12”) square patch near the front of the box roof. I figure run the wiring through it, and under the panel would make for the cleanest install.

I’ll likely put my 4’ level on the roof and see if the direction makes it taller than the height at the back of the roof. Also evaluate if running it crosswise will increase the chances of a shadow over part of the panel,

Coachgeo

Explorer
I understand.

As it is I’m debating which direction to install the 100w panel I have on the roof....,
make a tilt rack that sits on cab top so it can be tilted 4 way. In drive mode tilt end up facing habitat..... tada..... cab roof wing/air deflector; giving you improved air flow increasing your aerodynamics. If you do NOT intend for any solar charging while driving...... then put a protective cover over it as well. Spoke with a german fellow that has one at angle on top front of his habitat on a Unimog for 5-6? years and it has never been damaged.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
E0CF021D-0AFD-4526-A173-B34741901645.jpegFCE3446B-DF08-4286-A7AC-D9958914F7EA.jpeg

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

It’s an almost mint older cabinet that should help with all sorts of projects Ambo & otherwise. An older gentleman had it for cleaning parts on his Model A... looks like it was never used. I’m hoping it’ll make cleaning things easier for me.

I'm just waiting for company to leave so that I can find something to test it on.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've wanted one of those for years, but never had an air compressor large enough to supply it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
make a tilt rack that sits on cab top so it can be tilted 4 way. In drive mode tilt end up facing habitat..... tada..... cab roof wing/air deflector; giving you improved air flow increasing your aerodynamics. If you do NOT intend for any solar charging while driving...... then put a protective cover over it as well. Spoke with a german fellow that has one at angle on top front of his habitat on a Unimog for 5-6? years and it has never been damaged.

That's a great idea... in our case that'd block some of our advertising surface :(

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've wanted one of those for years, but never had an air compressor large enough to supply it.
hmm.... good point..... what psi do they require?

Max PSI is 100. recommended for most work is 60 psi. Average consumption is rated at something like 5.7 cfm. I've used a cheap gun with a <5 cfm compressor and small tank to sandblast a Fj40 frame... I spent a lot of time waiting for the compressor to catch up.

Now I've got a +/- 6 cfm compressor with an 80 gallon tank. I'm sure the gun can shoot more CFM than I've got, but with an 8o gallon tank, it'll be fine. I'm not sure the exact rating of my compressor because it's an old Worthington two stage compressor with a true 2 hp motor on it. It's a beautiful old, made in the USA, industrial machine that's happy to run full time so i'm sure it can out pace me (who can't) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior