97 Dodge CTD w/ 98 Sun-Lite -- Slow Build - Picture Heavy

schmugboy

Observer
I'll see if I have any pictures. It's not very pretty in the curved sections. The bottom of the edges have aluminum, the aluminum roof goes behind this aluminum extrusion and water follows that path. Then the water sits in the bottom of that extrusion where it migrates upward into the plywood sides of the roof causing rot.
Thanks for the pictures that helped in my understanding. After this next trip, I hope to find some time to look at some of the seals with all the off-road vibration and jostilings the camper has received.

schmugboy

Observer
Kerry, thanks for the pictures. No sooner did you post them, that we had a nice rain storm and I had my first two leaks (or at least I thought they were the same). I noticed some water on the floor, that seemed to be dripping from the heater. I assumed it was from the wind blowing it through the heater exhaust. Whilst driving to the river, I had to perform a hard braking manuever (why do people cutoff old trucks hauling trailers like I can stop on a dime.) Anyway all of a sudden a bunch of water comes pouring out the front corner of the camper onto my windshield. Well I couldn't figure it out while driving, so when we arrived at the camping spot I opened the top, and more water came out. Looked inside did not see any water inside (other than the heater), so I assume it came in through one of those corners that you show as taped and just sat there until I popped up the top. When I got back I started looking around for more evidence, and as I was replacing bulbs with LEDs one of the outside lights on that side was full of water, like water leaked in, but couldn't escape. I drilled some holes so at least the water would go somewhere.
One picture of me pulling my friends raft, he neglected to tell me that he just threw the oars on the trailer floor under some "heavy" bags. Needless to say after 2 hours of driving and 11 miles of dirt road the oars were lost. What a bummer.
The LEDs I bought are nice, but really thick where they plug in, almost would not fit.

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5

schmugboy

Observer
Went to the mountains after the river trip and again had a leak from the front of the heater, but no rain. So I took the front off and shined a light, one of the t-connectors on the water hoses to the sink/shower was leaking right over the heater. I could not reach my hand back there, so I'll have to remove the heater, the sink, or the stove to gain access. But I did notice my son had not turned off the 12v water pump. Once I turned that off, and relieved the pressure the leaking stopped. So something to address in the spring.
Had a nice spot, but man some rough 4x4 roads to get there, and nothing like dragging your pumpkins when you get high centered. Saw some elk, so I guess we will be back at the end of November. Really considering buying a better battery (or small lithium battery backup) just in case the heater drains the battery (happened in a popup camper to me once) and more solar than the 6 watts I have now, which only maintains.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6

schmugboy

Observer
Seeing the cold front coming through I figured I better winterize the camper, even-though I have at least two more trips planned. I would be interested to know how people handle camping in the winter. I was trying to decide to either blow the lines clear or fill them with antifreeze. I chose antifreeze at the moment, hopefully it works out.
This would be another area that the groups opinion would be appreciated.
Then came the snow, which we usually don't see much in our valley, but it gave me a reason to test the "polar guard" that came with the camper, which looks like fancy reflectix. Last winter when I experimented without it, I had a ceramic heater and it barely kept it much above 20 degrees over outside temps. But out in the woods, there is no electricity, so I'll be trying to see if the heater can keep it 50-55 which is what we had on our trip to the mountains with it being 40 outside. It's supposed to be 25 tonight, and neither of my boys want to try it with me.
Also, can you believe that the snow has canceled their online school classes :unsure:

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 8

schmugboy

Observer
Last comments and questions before I sign off. Has anyone demounted their camper while boondocking, I am thinking I might give it a try this next time, but a little worried leaving my camper out there by itself while I drive around to fish, hunt or hike.
I know most of my posts are not much of building yet, hopefully that will come in the spring as I'm trying to figure out what I like and don't like. And more importantly do I have the time and skill to make changes.
List of to do items now are:
-Recaulk or etrnabond (flex seal the same thing?)
-Replace the fridge with my ARB50 - the fridge barely hits 40 at max, I've hooked up some fans, but maybe have to rethink the problem.
-Cut a hole in the storage area for better access, sucks lifting dinette seat to get to stuff
-New battery more than likely AGM with 100ah based on cost
-50-100w portable solar panels (especially if I install my ARB)
-maybe cut the tail-lights off like I saw on this forum from freeskier125, that's going to take some nads
-remove the 4" pvc pipe that is supposed to transport our fishing rods, it just gets in the way and I would rather have a door to access stuff
-really want to try an awning, but scared to drill into camper
-same with roof rack

Happy camping

schmugboy

Observer
You may need to remove the fridge and turn it upside down overnight.
Thanks. I'll add that to my spring to do list. I have a blow out valve on order, is there any concern about making sure the entire system (Lines and tank) are totally free of water. This seems like a better altertative if I plan to use it during the transitional time before real winter.

schmugboy

Observer
So my "experiment" if it could be called that went as expected. The "Polar Guard" material was marginal at best. It at least kept me from feeling a cold draft from the temperature differential in the overhead versus heater area, and there was no flapping of the canvas from the wind. But getting it correctly mounted was a chore.
Started at 8pm inside temp was 60 degrees and outside was 38 and battery voltage was 13.1v. The heater first kicked on at 10pm which of course woke me up, 48 degrees inside and 30 degrees outside. Then it ran off and on for the next couple of hours so no sleep until about 12:30 then it was quite for a bit or I was to tired. 47 degrees inside and 25 degrees outside. Finally at 5 was a nature call so I went inside the house it was 48 in the camper and 30 degrees outside and batter was at 12.5v. So it seems I have a 2.5 season setup or I have to run the heater more. Might have to go get my little buddy as back up and my 0degree bag. A little disappointing, but from everything I've read this seems to be normal for pop up campers.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Your experience seems typical. I always plan to have bedding adequate so as not to require heat at night. I bought a garage thermostat which goes down to 35 degrees so the heater will kick on to stop the pipes from freezing if necessary. RV forced air furnaces are too loud to sleep with in my view. I can lean out of bed in the morning and reach the thermostat so I can turn on the furnace and warm things up before I get out of bed. 12.5 volts means you used about 10% of your battery power. You'll need to open windows with the little buddy. When I was doing comparative testing the other day, I turned on the Little Buddy with no ventilation and went in the house. A couple of hours later when I came back, it was off. I assume the oxygen depletion sensor turned it off due to lack of ventilation. On the water system--my tank has a drain so I open the drain and blow out the lines. I also have a water heater which must be drained. The hot water lines to and from the heater have bypass valves so I can bypass the heater itself and blow out the hot water lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles