97 Disco hard start

eflatlander

Observer
I have a 97 discovery that is very hard starting when cold. It does not seem to be getting any fuel. If I dump some in the intake vacuum port I can get it started and it runs fine. Fuel pump? injectors? fuel pressure regulator? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks!
Eric

Wander

Expedition Leader
Only when cold?

My 94 had hard starting issues-turned out to be leaking injectors but I ended up replacing the fuel pump and filter as well.

eflatlander

Observer
Hard start

Yes, although it's hard to say for sure it's about 1 below here right now and I don't keep it in the garage. last week we had a blizzard here (Iowa) and I had it at work inside and it started right up.
Eric

ColoDisco

Explorer
I would check the cold start injector. Pull it when cold and stick it in some container and try to start your rig. should spray a bunch of fuel into the intake.

sven

Adventurer
Cold start injector? This isnt CIS fuel injection form a 82 VW Rabbit.

Check if the fuel pressure holds when shutting off the engine. Use a fuel pressure gauge and if the pressure drops off immediately, you either have a leaking injector or a bad fuel pump.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Cold start injector? This isnt CIS fuel injection form a 82 VW Rabbit.

Check if the fuel pressure holds when shutting off the engine. Use a fuel pressure gauge and if the pressure drops off immediately, you either have a leaking injector or a bad fuel pump.

Hence the reason I stated I am not sure! :)

Luckily I have not had any fueling issues on my rig.

ipgregory

Adventurer

Could also be a bad pressure regulator or fuel line leak as well with the same syptoms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior