97-04 D22 Frontier Common Problems

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm looking at Crew Cab Long Bed Models. I need the 6' bed, and want some ability to haul 4 people. I know that the crew cab on these is more like a extended cab with four door, and with rear seat legroom at 30" its a fair bit shorter than my wife's cramped Honda Fit. The one advantage is that the 97-04 D22 is still pretty cheap.

What are the key maintenance issues to check for on the V6 4x4 models?

itschrisb

Timing belt/water pump service is due at 105k so check to make sure thats been done. Besides that there isnt really much. I just picked up a 04 Crewcab v6 and researched it heavily before pulling the trigger. Besides what I mentioned I couldn't find anything to worry about.

For hardcore offroading the front steering components are a weak link. Otherwise theyre pretty stout vehicles. I upgraded from a 94 toyota pickup and I love it so far.

Id say the only other downside is the aftermarket isnt very strong for these.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

nasko

Adventurer
Depending if it is supercharged or not the knocking sensor and its location is an issue. Exhaust manifolds are not the strongest. As mentioned above if it will be used heavily offroad a brace might help strengthen the steering (there were some available). The weakest link in my opinion is the MPG. While power is not great, the 3.3's fuel consumption is terrible. IMO if I were you I would try my best to get a 2nd generation. Much, much better truck. My 2 cents.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Look for cracked exhaust manifolds and rear main seals leaking, both are common and expensive to repair along with the ks. These are solid trucks that run like tractors. I'm knocking on 300k hard miles and still going.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
The 02-04 is slightly different. The front hubs/spindles/brakes are that from the Xterra. 2001 are that of a WD21 up front.

LI LWB

The radiator supports rust out. You can get a replacement panel fairly cheap and easy to find but if you cant weld or dont have someone to do it for you I can see it getting expensive.
You can replace a cracked cast exhaust manifold with a tube type manifold from the 03'+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier