96 Montero LS 3.0, 12valve or 24Valve?

NickSchmaus

Observer
Hi im new here been reading as many posts as possible. Just got this montero a month ago for cheap, runs great, has 200k miles. Been to the desert a bunch of times, super fun.

Need to pass smog though here in CA and its blowing some smoke during the test (actually pretest) and he said I should change out the valve guide seals. Not sure if hes right about that or not, but ill do it anyways.

How do I tell if it is 12 valve or 24 valve, and are the valve seal sizes the same between them both or are they different (so if I get the 24 valve set will it fit the 12 valve engine anyways?).

Thanks! :peepwall:

Swift_45a

Observer
You're right, the 6g72 came in both 12/24 valve format, here is a thread with the vins to compare yours against known ones:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-help-categorize-Monteros?highlight=1996+6g72
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1201833/site_id/1#import

Alternatively you could call Mitsubishi and they'll give you that info when you call the parts department. I'd recommend buying the valve stem seals from the dealer, too; so you'd kill 2 birds with one stone.

Where in California are you? I have been meaning to do mine as my rig just turned 200k recently and I'm starting to see the smoke at idle. I wanted to put together a tech day with guys here from SoCal and maybe do some wheeling afterward. (I'm near Running Springs-Big Bear area.)

Here is a vid from one of our members here in SoCal who documented what you can expect in the process.

Its a 6g74, but you can get an idea none the less.

PS: Next time post a pic with your engine, I had a 93 LS and can ID that god forsaken engine a mile away. Not a fan of the 72s at all, despite being told they are easier to work on.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
12v has a Dizzy and 24V has coil packs, the only '96 that will have a 12V will be from Puerto Rico as those motors were long gone Stateside as far as I know.

24V

66522420.jpg

12V
1989-mitsubishi-montero-30-v6-5-speed-4x4-2-door-cold-ac-aka-raider-pajero-4.JPG

NickSchmaus

Observer
thanks for the replies, awesome Ill post a pic, im pretty sure i have the 24V version.... double the work yay lol.

I am in north county, San Diego :sombrero:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles