96' LX450/80 series aftermarket seats.

MOAK

Adventurer
Hello all, It's been quite some time. 42 years ago I bought my first Landcruiser. Five years ago I bought my 2nd Landcruiser and will not make the same mistake I made with the 40 series. That would be, selling it. In five years I have driven it nearly 90,000 miles and along the way have learned a ton of stuff about my 80. At 296,000 miles it is now completely leak free. I would have no hesitation in driving it on 100 more 10,000 mile touring trips. With all of this in mind then, my question to you all is not technical/mechanical related. We do go long distances and 7 to 10 thousand mile round trips, at least annually, are not unusual. We explore locally as well. We have every intention of doing this touring thing of ours for as long as we are healthy enough to do it. If and when the stock engine and transmission ever give up the ghost, then a new engine and refreshed transmission will be in order. In short, this truck isn't going anywhere for a very long time. My question is about seats. The current stock seats were re-upholstered about 12 years ago. They are still comfortable, however, I don't think they were designed for the 6'1" 200 lb guy. After a day behind the wheel I am a bit fatigued, but nothing serious. Mostly from not having enough legroom. Are the Scheel-mann seats worth the cost? Or will I have buyers remorse after our first trip? Here is a photo that shows the condition of our stockers. I prefaced my question rambling away in an effort to let you know my whys and wherefores. Thanks all. 514221514222

Box Rocket

I haven't owned any Scheel-Mann seats but have sat in them several times. I am shopping for a set for my own truck and I think they are worth the cost especially for long trips.

I currently have Leather, Heated seats from a 2011 VW Jetta installed in my 80. They have been a nice improvement over the factory seats. Much more comfortable IMO. Required some custom brackets for mounting but they are working well, until I finally get some Scheel-Mann seats.
D21C25AC-67E3-42D5-A1C3-1B2189AB7AC4_zpsi9ctudpb by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I currently have Leather, Heated seats from a 2011 VW Jetta installed in my 80. They have been a nice improvement over the factory seats. Much more comfortable IMO. Required some custom brackets for mounting but they are working well, until I finally get some Scheel-Mann seats.
D21C25AC-67E3-42D5-A1C3-1B2189AB7AC4_zpsi9ctudpb by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Do you have any info on the brackets you used to put the VW seats in your 80? I just picked up a 100 and the seats are a bit worn. I used to drive a 2011 VW and always liked those seats so I’m intrigued.

Box Rocket

Do you have any info on the brackets you used to put the VW seats in your 80? I just picked up a 100 and the seats are a bit worn. I used to drive a 2011 VW and always liked those seats so I’m intrigued.
I built custom brackets. There are holes in the bottom of the seat runners. I basically built a "crossmember" from 1" sq tube with low profile tabs that bolted to the holes in the runners. Then I cut out some feet and bolted them in the stock locations, set the set in the truck with a new crossmember front and rear and welded (tacked) the feet to the crossmembers while in the truck so they were in the right place. Pulled the seat out and fully welded. It was one of the simpler seat brackets to make.

BigTree4X4

Roaming Nowhere
Interested to see what you decide. I just picked up a 96 LX450 and the seats have never been redone, they aren’t torn but worn. I to am 6’1” and 220.

I had custom cloth seats in my 80 when I got it, I went to corbeaus leather sports and they worked well for about 60K miles, and I finally went full custom. I waivered between scheelamns and cerullo performance. Scheeleman made in germany is always good. BUT cerullos are hand made and stitched to your exact specs in America. money was same, so that wasnt a prob. I went with Merica and I dont regret it at all. These seats are better than italian leather couch in my living room. and they bend over backwards to make sure these seats are exactly fitted and what you want. ask for Gina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles