'96 L400 Delica build and adventure thread!

rock_shoes

Observer
Scratch that. Won't work unless you want to park the Delica in a frame deep puddle or place many pieces of zinc all around the frame and metal work.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

hove102

Adventurer
Subscribed! I fell in love with these things while I was in Australia and I'd love to import one to the US at some point...bring that thing further into the States sometime!

hove102

Adventurer
I knew that they sold the 2wd version here, but wasn't it called something else? The coolest ones to import would be the 4wd L300s...maybe in another 10-15 years we'll be able to import them!

96Delica

Adventurer
Read that whole thread, you can get them now! They have to be 25 years old to import which means you guys are able to get the older L300's.

Sinjins

Well done, Mat! I really like your idea of using the Unistrut / rails for the platform. I'm thinking of doing something along the same lines...but perhaps a hinged platform that could slide into a bench formation when desired. Maybe using wheels in the unistrut...as in using barn door sliding hardware and some sort of latch or a simple bolt through to hold it in place. Question for you though...would you find the 3/4 ply strong enough without any additional support/legs etc. to hold the body weight of 2 people? Do you support it from underneath at all when in use?

Sinjins

Still loving your idea of the elevated unistrut attached to the 3rd row seat anchor positions, as the basis for an elevated sleeping platform! In my case, I'd really like to construct a platform that is in 4 hinged pieces in order to convert from bed mode to a double-sided bench (one side of bench facing rear hatch and the other side of bench facing 2nd row of seats). Mine would need to support weight of 2 adults, but I don't want to need support legs underneath in the middle (so it remains completely open for bin storage underneath like yours!). Any advice for me in that regard? Will be beginning work on this project very soon! (I have series 1 L400 LWB Super Exceed V6).

Sinjins

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I did end up borrowing your idea for the platform for my 96 LWB Super Exceed. Only I made the support structure a bit longer, welded it, and made the platform hinge to turn from a bed into a double-sided bench. I have a set of ball-lock-pins (instead of carriage bolts/butterfly with nuts), for easier transition between bed-mode and bench-mode. Nice thing about the LWB model is you can leave a hinged platform like this inside "permanently" and still use the 2nd row of captains chairs facing-forward as per normal when the platform is in bench-mode. You just have to sacrifice a little bit of leg room in the 2nd row...but if you are careful with your overall platform length the 2nd row remains totally usable. I just wanted to thank you again for posting your platform idea. It is a winner for sure!
View attachment 398219Delica-smweb-camper-box-rails-installed-drivers-side.jpgIMG_20170409_155308.jpgIMG_20170409_183756.jpgIMG_20170409_183742.jpgDelica-smweb-rear-bed-mode-02.jpgDelica-smweb-Camper-Rear-Bed-Mode.jpgDelica-smweb-rear-bench-mode.jpgDelica-smweb-Camper-Rear-Hatch-Open-w-Bikes.jpgDelica-smweb-Front-2017-04.jpgDelica-smweb-wStickers.jpg

marmota

I know it's an old thread but... do you remember, by any chance, what was the width and offset of those wheels? Thanks! :victory:

akorive

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I did end up borrowing your idea for the platform for my 96 LWB Super Exceed. Only I made the support structure a bit longer, welded it, and made the platform hinge to turn from a bed into a double-sided bench. I have a set of ball-lock-pins (instead of carriage bolts/butterfly with nuts), for easier transition between bed-mode and bench-mode. Nice thing about the LWB model is you can leave a hinged platform like this inside "permanently" and still use the 2nd row of captains chairs facing-forward as per normal when the platform is in bench-mode. You just have to sacrifice a little bit of leg room in the 2nd row...but if you are careful with your overall platform length the 2nd row remains totally usable. I just wanted to thank you again for posting your platform idea. It is a winner for sure!
View attachment 398219View attachment 398218View attachment 398226View attachment 398224View attachment 398223View attachment 398221View attachment 398222View attachment 398220View attachment 398228View attachment 398229View attachment 398232
That's amazing! Exactly what I want to do in my l300, any chance you have the plans handy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles