96’ LX450

MOAK

Adventurer
I’ve asked this question before, about 100,000 miles ago and I always get the same answer. My well maintained 80 series now has 355,000 miles. The head was off at 292,000 for leaky valve stem seals. I’m often told, don’t worry, this engine will last forever. I’ve read about well documented examples of engines last a half million miles. It sees roughly 20,000 miles annually taking in a couple of trips out west. It lives in the carriage house patiently tethered to a charger, awaiting its next tour. Next up is Bears Ears this Sept (again) then Big Bend in Feb, (23) then Continental Divide run in Sept, (23) then on up into Alaska, the long way. (24): so back to my question, how long is forever? Thanks all, be good, do goodE2504355-DF87-4064-BA5E-F54F5EECD549.jpeg

(none)

Adventurer
It's all about maintenance and driving it correctly. You seem to be doing a good job of it.
Since the head has been off fairly recently, it's had the head gasket replaced which can be the weak link. Hopefully the entire cooling system has been replaced by now (hoses, radiator, fan clutch, etc). Now your mission is to just keep it running cool.
Same thing with the transmission. They are very stout, but i always kept an eye on mine to make sure temps stayed within range. Going back to the radiator to make sure the internal water to oil trans cooler isn't leaking and putting coolant into the trans. Frequent fluid drain and fills never hurt.
Essentially all rubber bits are probably rotted or on their way to be by now if they haven't been replaced. Suspension, body mounts, motor mounts.
Have you inspected your birfs lately?

These things are heavy and underpowered, we know they are fairly indestructible if maintained. You've made it this far, so no reason it shouldn't go further.

MOAK

Adventurer
It's all about maintenance and driving it correctly. You seem to be doing a good job of it.
Since the head has been off fairly recently, it's had the head gasket replaced which can be the weak link. Hopefully the entire cooling system has been replaced by now (hoses, radiator, fan clutch, etc). Now your mission is to just keep it running cool.
Same thing with the transmission. They are very stout, but i always kept an eye on mine to make sure temps stayed within range. Going back to the radiator to make sure the internal water to oil trans cooler isn't leaking and putting coolant into the trans. Frequent fluid drain and fills never hurt.
Essentially all rubber bits are probably rotted or on their way to be by now if they haven't been replaced. Suspension, body mounts, motor mounts.
Have you inspected your birfs lately?

These things are heavy and underpowered, we know they are fairly indestructible if maintained. You've made it this far, so no reason it shouldn't go further.
Cool, everything you mentioned has been done. Front end rebuild at 199 and 314. I’m thinking about a temp sensor for the trans, but I do remove & replace a gallon of trans fluid annually, or every other oil change. Go further, I’m thinking a lot further. I’m thinking Farmall, a lot of those tractors have never been cracked open and still run after 60-70 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne