95 econoline reverse light harness?

Justgosurfin

I have a dodge manual trans and need to wire my reverse lights to it. Anyone know where the wires are normally run or where the fuse is?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I have a dodge manual trans and need to wire my reverse lights to it. Anyone know where the wires are normally run or where the fuse is?

So you are replacing the factory auto with a dodge manual? If that's the case you need to find the plug that connected to the transmission range sensor that was on the drivers side of the transmission, there will be a black wire with a pink stripe, that goes to the lights, connect that to the sensor on top of the manual trans with a battery positive to the other side, put the manual in reverse and they should light up!Screenshot_20181102-153728_Gallery.jpg

Justgosurfin

Sweet, thanks!

Yea it’s a Cummins and nv4500, PO did the swap and never connected the reverse light. I have the dodge plug and pigtail just wanted an idea of what to look for before going digging under there and you had the info. Thanks again!

Justgosurfin

We’d like to see more of the swap. Which Cummins? Pics?
PO did the swap thank god. It’s a 12v 5.9 with VE pump from a ‘90 ram, intercooler from a 2nd gen. I’ve turned up the pump a bit and have a he351 turbo to install at some point after Xmas probably. Projects always take over my life so I need to chill for a month or two haha. But I’ll take some pics of the engine in the vehicle this week sometime. Although I didn’t do the engine swap I did rebuild a 4bt and looooooove the simplicity of these things, not to mention the extra space available to work on things with an inline 6 instead of a v8 or 10. They’re just noisy. I did rebuild the trans though and took a bunch of pics. Ugh still so much to go through for a summary post including adding up all the receipts! I think Mike the PO still has swap pics somewhere, ill check.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Although the 5.9 is noisy.... the 7.3 isn't very quiet. In larger RVs the 5.9 is known to get excellent fuel economy. So you should have an excellent setup there.

Working in the engine bay of a van with a 7.3 is a major PAIN in the but. As much as I like the rig and the power plant, I dread the notion of working under the hood. I've had a new set of glow plugs sitting in a drawer for a few years... replacing the original glow plug relay with a Strandcor Relay got the original plugs working. The original was cracked in half, charred, and completely dead... It turned out the 7.3 with 16k+ hours had been starting without any glowplugs because the relay was dead. In weather below freezing it was a bear to start... now it starts easily. Someday when I have nothing better to do, I'll replace the plugs and it should start even better in the cold.

Justgosurfin

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Although the 5.9 is noisy.... the 7.3 isn't very quiet. In larger RVs the 5.9 is known to get excellent fuel economy. So you should have an excellent setup there.

Working in the engine bay of a van with a 7.3 is a major PAIN in the but. As much as I like the rig and the power plant, I dread the notion of working under the hood. I've had a new set of glow plugs sitting in a drawer for a few years... replacing the original glow plug relay with a Strandcor Relay got the original plugs working. The original was cracked in half, charred, and completely dead... It turned out the 7.3 with 16k+ hours had been starting without any glowplugs because the relay was dead. In weather below freezing it was a bear to start... now it starts easily. Someday when I have nothing better to do, I'll replace the plugs and it should start even better in the cold.

Pics eventually. Sorry still busy every evening.

Yea before the lift and especially before I started messing with the fuel pump I was getting 22-24 cruising around 70. With the fuel screw turned up and without dialing down the smoke (it doesn’t spew black soot but is definitely more than it should be) I got around 16 doing 70-75 mph on our 700 mike trip a couple weeks ago. If you’re able to and thinking of doing the swap it’s 100% worth it. Dynamat type stuff, closed cell foam and Mlv under the doghouse made it dramatic improvement to cabin engine noise.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
No worries, I'm patient.

I'm certainly not up to swapping out the 7.3... even if there was a small savings, it wouldn't be worth the expense and effort to do a swap.

I've not done a long haul at 70+, but I have seen a high of 20 mpg on the highway (in a mountain snow storm), 16 mpg combined, and regularly get 12 mpg in town (for a 9k lb 8'6" high rig).

Justgosurfin

So you are replacing the factory auto with a dodge manual? If that's the case you need to find the plug that connected to the transmission range sensor that was on the drivers side of the transmission, there will be a black wire with a pink stripe, that goes to the lights, connect that to the sensor on top of the manual trans with a battery positive to the other side, put the manual in reverse and they should light up!View attachment 481834

Nevada, does the blk/pnk wire go from the fuse, to the switch, to the lamp and grounded by black?

Or is the switch on the ground circuit with the blk/pnk wire normally sending + to the lamp?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
The top diagram is the correct routing, I can't think of any rigs this vintage that switch the ground for activation.

Justgosurfin

Found black wire with pink strip here going to the tail lights via harness along driver side wall/ceiling corner. Continuing to did but I’m having a hard time finding the source. Are the stock trans position sensors mounted on the shift column or the ford transmission?

Attachments

• B1DC38D9-8DEA-46A3-A534-5A86C8899DD4.jpeg
    B1DC38D9-8DEA-46A3-A534-5A86C8899DD4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 1720CAB6-8099-41B2-80CE-F1CD0FA48C37.jpeg
    1720CAB6-8099-41B2-80CE-F1CD0FA48C37.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
You are going to have to find the plug that went to the original transmission sensor, it will be along the frame under the drivers seat area where the auto transmission would have been, if the PO didn't butcher everything, it will be a connector that looks like this with different color wires, find the pink wire with an orange stripe, then find the black with pink stripe, then find the reverse light switch on the NV4500, it should be near the top on the drivers side of the transmission near the shifter, it will be a 2 prong connector screwed into the trans, connect the pink/orange to one prong and the black/pink to the other prong, then test it by putting the trans into reverse with the key on, it should light up the backup lights, you can tap the black/pink anywhere after the transmission connector for backup camera!

-09271715530674_AIO.jpg
One thought that just hit me, do the backup lights work on the van now? if so you just need to tap the black/pink wire near the connector on the transmission to get the signal for the backup camera!

Justgosurfin

Ok. Day off today so I’m hoping to get this sorted. I didn’t see a loose connector or the two colors combos mentioned under the van the other night but will dig deeper today. Perhaps he removed it.

So it’s pnk/org from fuse, switch, blk/pink to lights it looks like. Do you have a diagram that or list that breaks down the wire color scheme in the vans?

I traced that blk/pnk wire from the cab up to the steering column yesterday.

I’m assuming the reverse lights have the ability to work but they are not functional until I get this switch connected. I was just asking about the camera for the future.

Thank you! ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles