94 Ram 350 Roadtrek camper van....can I convert it to 4x4?

Juliacecere

My neighbor is giving me her mom’s old roadtrek. It runs. 58k miles. Needs a LOT of love inside and out. I’ve really wanted to do a 4x4 Conversion to whatever adventure van I settled on, but considering this vehicle is literally free, I’d save a lot of money not buying another vehicle. I am not a knowledgeable car person, I know nothing haha. Is it even possible to covert this make/model/year to a 4x4??

yota man

You can convert any van to 4x4. It just depends on how much time and money you have. If you aren’t doing the work/ R&D yourself it’s going to cost a fair amount more. If you are interested in learning probably everything about that van mechanically then doing this conversion is the best way you can do that. You will touch every part from the engine to the wheels. Almost everything in between the those two will be changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoinBoardin

Observer
Can't argue with a free van! Quigley looks to have previously done conversions on these. May be able to model their approach in your own conversion.

Another thing to consider would be the need for this. A van with high rear axle weight bias would benefit greatly from good AT tires (maybe a little larger diameter) and a locking or limited slip (e.g., TrueTrack) rear differential. Couple that with a 12 volt air compressor so you can air down when the going gets tough (and air back up when hitting pavement again) you might be surprised what a 2x4 vehicle can do. If you don't get too wild off road, it might be all you need, but maybe not. I say this because my truck (with popup camper) is shockingly capable in 2x4 now that I have a truetrack in the rear axle and 33" AT tires aired down to 15-20 psi. More capable than it was with highway tread stock tire size (29") at road pressures and open differentials in 4x4. Worst case, you make these changes, find you still need more capability, then have 4x4 added in (will be a sizable expense). The mods to make a 2x4 more capable will only compliment the 4x4 conversion.

That all said, 4x4 is a wonderful insurance policy and I can totally understand wanting it right off the bat. Overnight rains can turn an easy drive into a greasy mess where 4x4 is immensely helpful. Or if you're gearing up for a long term trip; its not generally feasible to make such modifications mid-trip. Just wanted to offer up another viewpoint.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Yes it can be done.

The fuel tank on a 94 is still behind the rear axle so no transfer case interference.

The last 4x4 Dodges were 97s.

The only place still in existence that did Dodge conversions 20+ years ago is Advanced 4wd in Salt Lake.

Best of luck even getting Randy on the phone.

For a home built I'd buy a 94-95 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 pickup and use it for parts. Lots of work. Major fabrication required. NOT a bolt in swap.

I own 5 Dodge vans including an 84 B350 4x4.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1stDeuce

Explorer
You might also check with u-joint offroad in Boulder CO. They specialize in Ford vans, but I think most of the stuff they use would work on a Dodge. Honestly, any good 4x4 shop should be able to work a solid axle conversion with leaf springs, which is what Quigly did for years. It's not rocket science, just takes good fab work... :)

And I agree that with the rear axle weight that your Roadtrek should have, running a slightly larger tire and l earning to adjust tire pressure will take you lots of places you'd never think to go.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Didn't get pics, but was reminded by seeing it that there's a late 80's to mid-90's Dodge 4x4 van that I see in town occasionally. It's got an 8 LUG D60 (Or perhaps a 44?) and leaf springs under the front with springs over the axle. Sits pretty high, but looks pretty good for an old POS 4x4 van. If I see it again, I'll snap a few pics. Frame on those was very straight and clean, so pretty easy to hang brackets and a leaf sprung axle under the front.

I've seen several pics of lower riding 4x4 Dodge vans that Quigly did, which were spring under axle. (Like this one...) They look really mild, and being lower, probably drive/ride a bit better...

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You might also check with u-joint offroad in Boulder CO. They specialize in Ford vans, but I think most of the stuff they use would work on a Dodge.

You might be mixing companies. U-Joint is in North Carolina. Moreover, they've recently said they're not even going to work on pre-2000 FORD vans anymore, so I'm guessing the chances they touch a '94 Dodge are kinda low these days. But if one wanted to buy a Ford kit and try to do their best to adapt it, go nuts!

Juliacecere

Hi all!! So sorry for not responding sooner. Thanks for the input. It’s good to hear at least it’s possible ??‍♀️ I talked to Advanced 4x4 and They said no :/ and Ujoint also said no. We all know quigley won’t touch an older van. I have an email out to white feather tho. If anyone has anyyyyy clue of a company or reputable 4x4 conversion expert, let me know!

1stDeuce

Explorer

Juliacecere

Oh ok! Well u-joint said no, but if they took it on it’d be like 30k ?. I’ve reached out to Boulder 4x4 and am waiting for their response!

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Budget and location. I could point you at a half dozen local shops here in AZ that can do the job.

Keep in mind that paying a shop to do the work you will be looking at a 5-figure job if you want it done right. Tires and wheels, a lift for the rear to match the front, sourcing a front axle, springs and shocks, building the suspension. There will be a lot of time to figure the suspension as there are no kits that make this a drop in. Don't forget the front axle. Transmission will probably need a rebuild to attach the transfer case, oh yea a transfer case. Driveshafts. Steering linkage, hopefully reuse the existing steering box. and a mountain of little things from longer brake lines, longer speedometer cable, the transfer case shifter.

It's one thing to do the work yourself with a donor 4WD giving up the parts you need. It's another to pay a shop to source the parts and pay the labor.

D

Deleted member 9101

Dumping 10k into a clapped out "free" van to make it 4x4 seems kinda silly to me.

I'd just get a good set of tires and not try to go anywhere crazy with it. You'll save a looot of time, money, and headaches.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Sometimes it's not about saving time, money and headaches. It's about building what you want. I am all for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles