93 W250 cummins Ram project

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Yesssss ! Already addicted lollll

last saturday ,i was sitting right next to my running pickup .......what are you doing she asks ? listening to my truck ! she turned around with a weird look ...hahahahaha!

Dan

Well then you now know its true.... Cheers Chilli....:Wow1:

Dan,

In your part of the world the Sunraders are few and far between. Out west there are many on Craigslist all the time, some are even off the Toyota / Datsun's that they came on and can be had cheep. Off the body you should spend less than $1k of course the problem is getting it back to your home to do the build.

I went with a Russian Diesel heater $600-$650usd that works great keeping the camper warm, however boondocking you may need one of the units that heat the engine coolant as well. If I find myself parked where it's gets below 0F I just keep the engine running. ( No leaks in exhuast and 2 CO2 det. ) The Espar's are 3X the cost and not worth it in my op. if you need to keep the engine warm 1 or 2 nights a year. I went with a German 110v hot water heater ($125) and a Convection Oven / Microwave ($200) to eliminate the need for propane. ( 3500 watt inverter, 4 6V Golf Cart Batteries + 500 watts of solar with swichable power to charge from the Cummings. )

I agree, pop tops are not good if you like cold weather camping. I am fitting a sliding door between the cab and camper for security, noise, and insulation. ( no need to heat the cab when I am in the camper.)

If you cut the back wall for access it is easy to reinforce the opening as the gage of steel that is used is not that thick, I would not cut the roof of the truck as is done in many class c motor homes to make access to the cab easier.

If you go with a slide in and don't bolt your camper to the truck you have to really watch the tie downs. I have had happy jacks and torque lifts and both get loose when you go off road. This is main reason I like the type of system that tiger uses. I have had no frame flex issues and never have to worry about the camper coming off the truck.

Safe travels,

wheelie

Wheelie
I saw that Avion camper on craigslist, good price if you want to put a lot of rehab work into it.

I don't think there are that many avions for sale....the wife and I saw the avian, heading west on HWy 94 20 miles west of Wisconsin last night.
We were in our Quigley E350 coming home from a family fun New Years

Rick D

i used a fourwheel pop up on my 93, worked out well for years, but it is a little hard to head when its really cold

Attachments

• newfront1.JPG
    newfront1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 36
  • nerrear.JPG
    nerrear.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 33

BigDan

Observer
sorry for the delay ...was out of my region for a while ....

@ freedom traveler .....I looked all over the place , never found one in my area ( 200 miles around ) ...I wish id find one !

@ Rick , some say that thermo foil might isolate enough .....

Dan

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I don't think there are that many avions for sale....the wife and I saw the avian, heading west on HWy 94 20 miles west of Wisconsin last night.
We were in our Quigley E350 coming home from a family fun New Years

There is one for sale on Duluth Craigslist if you are interested in one.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
View attachment 316297View attachment 316298View attachment 316299View attachment 316300View attachment 316301

Great looking truck. I had a BF 10.6 Great camper just too wide and heavy for an expedition build in my op... If your staying on paved roads it should work out, we know these old Dodges can handle the weight.

I have went with old Sunrader bodies on my last two builds due to weight and the fact that they fit the width of N. American Pickups with no overhang, big advantage off road and in tight towns in Mexico / Central and South America. They are still much taller than pop ups so you still have to be careful but if you insulate right you can camp in any climate. The side door setup is nice when you set up camp.

If you are looking for extra range a cheep way to get it is to find an old Ram Charger tank that sits behind the rear axle. ( Same frame width, easy to build mounts. ) This gets you an extra 34 gal. for a fraction of what that tank companies are getting.

My project is about 80% but I thought I would attach some pictures to give you some ideas.

Good luck and safe travels,

Love this set up! What i wanted to build

BigDan

Observer
To get the RAM in great shape ,I have to redo all the floor pans and subframe of the club cab .....

anyone ever did this..........cant find a decent cab .

I wonder if the jobber panels are up to par quality wise .....I heard that they are of lower quality ...will it give good results

Dan

PhilipE

Observer
The after market panels are not to good of quality. The fit isn't good ether. Just keep looking for a good cab and do not be afraid to travel to a rust free area to get it.

I live in Indiana. I went to Wyoming for my replacement cab.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
i live in Ontario, im waiting on the dollar to improve so i can go to Texas for my replacement truck. rust repair is so not worth the time or money in most cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles