93 RRC vs. 06-07 Range Rover vs. LR3

DoKarider16

Observer
There have been a few questions on here similar but not quite the same. I currently have a 93 LWB RRC with 300 TDI. Over the past 5 years I have dialed it into our ideal camping light off roading rig to the point that we did a 10 mountain bike trip and lived the whole time out of the Rover comfortably. It has a Baja Rack and we have a roof top tent and I have set up the rear swing outs to carry our spare tire and bike rack (so the bikes swing out of the way for meal prep) and the other side holds all of our cooking gear in an exterior mounted pelican case which puts it easily accessible when the tailgate is down. We have a Foxwing awning, ARB fridge, rock sliders, TruTrac limited slip front and rear, rear tank skid and diff skids. It is setup to be pretty capable off road without being a pain on the road. 2" OME/Bilstein lift. We love this truck. I would like it to be a little faster in the mountain passes and the motor is pretty much stock with no big intercooler and a stock turbo. I know there is a small amount of power we could still gain but I love the 19-24 mpg we get loaded and it will cruise at 80 on the flatter sections no problem.

We have been trying to decide rather to throw some more money at the RRC or go with something newer in order to gain some power and mostly for some of the modern safety features. The LR3 makes the most sense and would be easier to trick out in a similar fashion to what we have but I LOVE the look of the Range Rover HSE. It is just my wife and I on our long camping trips so the space would not be too bad as long as it is close to that of the RRC. I am not particular about the rear seat legroom since I never sit back there. Price range for the newer truck would be to try and find something in the $15,000 range so I know I would be looking at something with close to 100,000 miles on it. I know at the least I would want bumpers, roof rack (I use my Rover for work as a designer so I haul lumber and steel all the time), and rock sliders as well as whatever armor is specific to the Range Rover or LR3.

Interested in what experienced Rover people think of this. The RRC is dead simple and pretty easy to fix. It is comfortable on the road and capable off. The newer options are much more complicated, most likely much safer in a real collision, more comfortable on road and most likely more capable off.

Keep the RRC and dial it in further to fit our needs and just take the two lane roads in the mountains.

Or

Get an LR3 as there are more of them to choose from, easier to set up for off road.

Or

Go with a newer Ranger Rover.

I have even considered Toyota Tacoma's or a full size diesel short bed pickup but don't think I can bring myself to go there.

Thanks in advance for any advice.swingout-in-use.jpgIMG_0392.jpg

jhawk

Adventurer
I've had both an RRC and an LR3. The Lr3 is better in every way outside of personality. I sold my RRC and still have the LR3.

If you are even thinking Toyota go a 100 series, or maybe even a Lexus GX470. I'm thinking one of these will be my new truck shortly.

Jim

XJLI

Adventurer
That's a beautiful RRC you got there. Sure, a newer truck is nice but there is something to be said about a well-maintained classic truck. Your RRC is only going to increase in value over time to make up for any parts/labor you put into her, that won't be the case with the LR3 or new RR.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I'd rather drive my classic for another hundred years. Its simple to work on. Easy to modify. And a more enjoyable driving experience.

aek50

Adventurer
Have a RRC and just got an LR4 for many of the same reasons you are considering switching, so I have experience with both. For the age of LR3 you are looking at and need to fully outfit to your tastes, that is a pretty nice classic. Presuming the truck is still in good shape rust wise underneath, I would stick with what you have. A great setup with a TDI!!! A known quantity vs. the unknown of electrical faults and a new platform. Seems like the LR3s are getting pretty good reliability reviews vs. the older trucks but still, just for a little more speed, stick with what you have. As XJLI said, that will just continue to be a more desirable and valuable truck as time goes on.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Upgrade in a few years so I can save some money.

Then bring that classic with a TDI down to Utah and I'll take it off your hands. ;)

zelatore

Explorer
Well, I currently have an LR3 that's built pretty well, but eventually I know I'll have to move to either a DI or RRC (preferred) for a more serious rig. The LR3 is great but it'll never be the off roader that an RRC can be.

I smell 37s....

LR Max

Local Oaf
If you want to go completely stock, a L322 is the way to go. They are awesome in every way. Get a 06 or newer as they have the 6 speed auto trans. If you are going to modify, the LR3 is better.

The only thing your RRC has over these two vehicles is simplicity, MPG, you already have it, and it is setup. However the newer rovers are actually pretty darn reliable and good to go. A midly built LR3 is stupid capable off road. I know RRCs are nice, but on the highway, you cannot beat a LR3 or a L322. Rides like awesome and they've got power out the ying yang. The V8 (DO NOT GET A V6 LR3) is very stout and you can easily tow with it.

DoKarider16

Observer
I really appreciate all of the input on this. We LOVE the RRC, I can see the advantages to the LR3 and I really like the L322. Just looking around in the cockpit the newer Range Rovers seem confusing with all of the stuff in them. My RRC with the TDI only really needs two wires to run and once started you could work around those. The safety aspect is really the biggest difference that can't be bridged. We have never had a major collision, but have two daughters driving now.

Right now planning on keeping the RRC for now. Still think I will go drive a few LR3s and newer Range Rovers and see if I can get more attached to one.

thanks
Craig

nick325i

Adventurer
I would definitely keep the RRC especially if you have a nice one. They are getting harder to find and the aftermarket is growing. I have seen some very nice defenders and RRCs built recently. I know it might seem like a backwards step in some ways but a crate 4.6 would solve your power issues.

On the hwy, L322 and/or LR3 are nice. If you really want more power I would go with a 06-09 RRSC. They are surprising offroad but their capability is totally dependent on the computers doing their job so keep that in mind.

To me the older rovers are an offroad vehicle you can drive on the road and the newer ones are road vehicle you can take offroad. They definitely both have their place and I would hate to give up either. The one difference is, I would have trouble ever selling my RRC but I will eventually swap the L322 for a newer/different modern rover to meet our needs.

Last edited:

sydneyman

Observer
The one difference is, I would have trouble ever selling my RRC but I will eventually swap the L322 for a newer/different modern rover to meet our needs.

this puts it very well for me. good luck, whatever you do, you'll enjoy it im sure. we rover guys are spoiled for choice!

Jwestpro

Explorer
I really appreciate all of the input on this. We LOVE the RRC, I can see the advantages to the LR3 and I really like the L322. Just looking around in the cockpit the newer Range Rovers seem confusing with all of the stuff in them. My RRC with the TDI only really needs two wires to run and once started you could work around those. The safety aspect is really the biggest difference that can't be bridged. We have never had a major collision, but have two daughters driving now.

Right now planning on keeping the RRC for now. Still think I will go drive a few LR3s and newer Range Rovers and see if I can get more attached to one.

thanks
Craig

Driving a stock LR3 or RR is going to be fun but simply not a fair comparison. It would be like driving a fully stock RRS on those original little tires as opposed to yours with the bikes on the back and gear loaded.

So, if you like, we could meet sometime and let you drive my LR3 with all the stuff on it and real tires. It might help you think it through more realistically.

One thing I think you are very correct about is the safety factor. I've seen some older rovers not fair too well in roll overs especially. Discovery 1 and 2 and RRC, P38 is a marginal step forward but the LR3 and 2003+ RR really took a giant step forward on structural design. I'm not 100% certain but I think the body and frame between 2003-2005 RR vs 2006-2009 RR are pretty much the same in terms of structural design.

Rephrased: The structural build quality of the LR3 body shell is far above my 2004 or 1996 and this isn't even getting into things like air bags and collision avoidance. When you factor in the other aspects of the overall "safety" package, there's really no comparison. It's things like the braking, traction control, quick handling for avoidance, 10x better lighting at night to see things sooner, etc.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I suggest keeping the RRC and adding an LR3 to the home fleet as a daily driver. After a year or so, you'll have enough imperial data to make the choice that's right for you, and you'll avoid buyers remorse, sellers regret, etc.....

nick325i

Adventurer
On the hwy, L322 and/or LR3 are nice. If you really want more power I would go with a 06-09 RRSC. They are surprising offroad but their capability is totally dependent on the computers doing their job so keep that in mind.

Interesting enough after posting this, we took our L322 on a trip this weekend. About half way there we had some sort of ABS issue that popped up (apparently it's been doing this every few days but my wife didn't bother to tell me this until we were on the road 3 hrs away). It's not a big deal. I'll take it by our local Indy shop Monday but the terrain response is totally disabled until it's corrected, I.e. no locking diffs, EAS, traction control, etc. on an offroad trip that would be an issue.

By the way, I don't want to make this a reason not to buy one at all.....overall, it's been a very reliable rig but it's something to consider. If I was to buy a vehicle to replace a RRC, I would lean towards a JK Rubicon or 4Runner Trail...please don't hate me for saying that! I'm still a rover guy and love many vehicles with "quirks". For long trips, I love a new Rover. The comfort is almost incomparable but they are complicated vehicles.

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
I think you'd be nuts to ditch the RRC, especially for a newer Rover. Buy a used Subaru with airbags for the girls and keep the Classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior