93 range rover

nvprospector

Adventurer
david despain said:
umm nope. if its got a stock transfer case its a borg-warner unit w/ a viscous coupling unit to bias the power front to rear. so it will never truely have a 50- 50% torque spit. some people do just fine this way. only the first few years had a lockable center diff, they were the same xfer case as the disco 1. its a common enough failure and the cost for the viscous coupling is about the same cost as a used disco 1 transfer case. its a common swap to put a disco case into the classic. you just need to trim the coin holder so the handle has enough room to move to the left for center diff lock.

Forgot that that year had the borg-warner.

nvprospector

Adventurer
Jasonazx said:
Well everyone, I took it out for a spin. Everything seemed ok until I got it into second around 2,000rpm. It started to kind of jerk or hesitate. It almost seemed like a fuel sending problem. It definataly didn't feel like transmission. Anyway, the owner, who is also a service manager at a shop is checking it out this afternoon to try and diagnose the problem... Any ideas of what this could be?

I would first take a look at the distributor rotor or the ht wires. Then check the pump flow regulator and replace the fuel filter. Look at all of your vaccum hoses for cracks. A friend had a similer problem and his was the MAF sensor was going, but this does not happen much on this year so I would save that for last.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
nvprospector said:
I have been looking for a ’93 RR for a long time that has not been already modified. This vehicle is more than capable to do the trip you want and more.
Dang, just parted a 93 out.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Speaking to the rover vs. cruiser deal... out of the box, the cruiser is better due to the factory mods but start giving those same mods to a rover and the rover, hands down, is the better performer.

As for reliability, cruisers have rovers beat, hands down. But with proper maintenance, the rover will go for several hundred thousand miles, as long as it NEVER overheats. Those aluminum blocks hate heat.

alia176

Explorer
Jonathan Hanson said:
There're still not many 4x4s that can match the RR's combination of off-road ability and on-road comfort. Possibly none, in fact.

Oh really?;) Just poking fun!!!

I think you'll find that the RR and FZJ80/FJ80 are about the same class in terms of ride and off road worthiness. Of course, dependability and reliability is a different matter and we all know who will come out ahead on that one!

I've had both and I recommend getting a '95 LWB over pre-95 for couple of reasons:
-better HVAC controls
-his/hers HVAC control (I think).
-more updated systems overall.
-price is very good.
-maybe better corrosion protection

My RRC was a '91 and it was just old school enough for me to wish for a '95 LWB with the updated dash, HVAC and more rear passenger leg room.

Another thing, if you do end up getting a LR, be prepared to become a good diagnotician.

Cheers.
:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier