93 or 96 SR build thread, not sure yet. Need help deciding.

Prescott

Observer
Ive decided to finally put it out there and somewhat introduce myself to the community. I originally bought a 1993 Montero SR and loved it. Beautiful paint, cared for, stock; Exactly what i was looking for. For a bit i did small things here and there, and bought a ton of extra parts from rockauto just in case. I like having spares. of everything. I did the back bench area so I could have a nice lay down spot and a little more storage, replaced the back windows with sliders, and a few other small things that needed tending to. I was able to get out in the dirt a few times and have quite a bit of fun with it before it decided to lose all compression after a day of spirited off roading.

Earliest photo that I have of it
2EE77458-BAB5-4CFB-B681-86ED5ADDD924_zpsxr5sbzdr.jpg

This is when things started getting less fun for the Montero. I was warned and quickly found out that replacement parts are not always around and finding someone who has the exact part you need is going to be difficult. I tore down the motor completely and got it to my machinist who honed it, decked the heads, valve job, blah blah blah. Keep in mind I did all of this right before the wonderful summer months here in AZ. Luckily for me I do not have to drive for work so I wasnt worried about having the Montero down for a period of time.

In the mean time, I found a blue 1996 SR on craigslist for a few hundred bucks and went to go look at it. I have one Montero already that doesnt run, why not have another!. I knew eventually I was going to have a few and knew I would want a 2.5 as well. So I picked it up and got it towed home. Its not in bad shape at all and has some things I like. I figured if nothing else I could take a few things like the locker out of it and throw it in the 1993. Who knew at that point. I had the cash and didnt really care.

WIth work getting busy and the days getting much hotter I found myself less excited to sweat it out in the garage to finish the motor. Well turns out there are a couple positions within my company that I could apply for, however it would mean I need to drive. So the race is on, and now you're all caught up.

So I was faced with a decision
1. get another car to rat around town
2. buy a motor
3. build the crappy 3.0 in my garage.

Being an AC/maintenance tech and outside all day, #3 was the least appealing. I spent some time looking at other cars and really didnt get excited like I was about the Montero. So buy another complete motor to swap in was the choice for me. I have talked to some of the guys here on the forum and Pampena motorsports was mentioned to me. I tried getting a hold of them to no avail. Called, emailed, facebook, nothing.

Lucily for me a motor became available to me through an extremely generous local forum member. Ive been on tons of forums before and getting a text from someone who had plans for their motot but was willing to sell it to me, (for a darn good price), was incredible. I am so thankful and if that member is OK with me divulging info, i would happily give him all the credit.

With that being said, I will be picking up my 24 valve sohc next weekend. Buying it was the easy part. Deciding what vehicle to put it in is causing me to lose sleep. This is where I hope some of the guys here will be able to assist me. Heres what im faced with.

1) The 1993 is a known good driver. No scary secrets that I dont know about. No electrical gremlins I dont know about, no screeches, clanks or clunks. It has the 3.0 12v in it.
2) The 1996 is completely foreign to me. Never drove it, never started it, bought it with a hole in the block the size of texas. It does have a body lift and 35s though with the locker. That montero though has the 3.5 DOHC in it.

So this big long introductory post to ask this simple question....

What vehicle would you put this motor in. A couple things I am considering for each.

The 96 is cool because it has the soft 8s, 35" tires, rear locker and everything the 96 SR came with. Visually I like the 96 more i believe.
The 93 is a solid runner.

My biggest hurdle is finding what vehicle the 24v sohc will go into more easily. Im pretty sure I have everything I need both ways but less hassle might be key. I figure once this gets running I will throw my supercharger on it in October when it starts to cool off. Thats a whole other thread topic.

So,

1) Which vehicle would you use and why?
2) Which will require less hassle
3) If my plan is to supercharge it, should I just get Megasquirt to begin with?
4) Transmission interchangeability?

My computer is not posting pictures right now so as soon as it does I will post more pics of everything.

Thanks everyone

JD

PA_JERO

Adventurer
As far as you know, the only thing wrong with the 96 SR is the hole in the block? I remember that truck on craigslist I'd it's the same truck, looked really nice. Does the harness in the 96 look ok, nothing stupid done to it. And is the SOHC 24 valve a 3.5?

If it were me, I would keep the 96SR. Assuming the SOHC is a 3.5, it's the exact same block the 96 SR needs. If the DOHC heads are still salvageable, the heads will bolt onto that block.

Prescott

Observer
As far as you know, the only thing wrong with the 96 SR is the hole in the block? I remember that truck on craigslist I'd it's the same truck, looked really nice. Does the harness in the 96 look ok, nothing stupid done to it. And is the SOHC 24 valve a 3.5?

If it were me, I would keep the 96SR. Assuming the SOHC is a 3.5, it's the exact same block the 96 SR needs. If the DOHC heads are still salvageable, the heads will bolt onto that block.

Yes as far as I know that is all thats wrong with it. The harness looks good. Yes 3.5 SOHC.
Unless there is a huge advantage I really dont want to swap the heads. Again, one of my goals is to be rather quick about this. Maybe down the road I can do that. Id have to pull the heads to even see if it is salvageable.

Also, the motor im getting has been gone through and has new seals so im good with that

So that 1 for the 96.

image.jpg

Last edited:

PA_JERO

Adventurer
The motor will not be a direct swap in either truck. More work will be involved with mounting the new 3.5L SOHC into the 93. Frame mounting locations are wrong I believe and the ecu/harness will not run that motor.

The 96 being a DOHC 3.5 and the motor you are getting is a SOHC 3.5. If you want to just drop the SOHC 3.5 into it the 96 and give it a try, go for it, that's un known territory for me. But there are significant differences between the SOHC and DOHC top ends. Injectors, heads, and intake plenums. Will the DOHC plenum fit onto a SOHC motor? May have to do some research on that or just do the AZ thing, trial and error, learn on the fly.

If it were me, I would buy that motor, pull the heads, pull the motor put of the 96 and make 1 good motor for the 96.

Best options
#1 what I said above^^^^^ and sell the 93 for a small amount to buy new gaskets for the project.
#2 see how you can retrofit the SOHC motor into the 96 and make it work with DOHC ecu and harness
#3 buy a 12 valve 3.0 and fix the 93 (major waste of time and money)

I have a set of DOHC heads by the way, let me know if your interested.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You may be able to run the SOHC motor as is if you install the knock sensor off of the DOHC onto the new motor, that's if the dual stage intake fits the SOHC. PA_JERO you know if that goes?

Prescott

Observer
All very useful info. Maybe ill see about the DOHC heads. Buying the head gaskets is probably all I will need to get. I think I read somewhere that I will need the 3.5 DOHC timing belt which makes sense so I will pick that up too. Maybe ill pull the heads tomorrow and send them to a machine shop to see what condition if they are in unless pa_jero is interested in selling his.

Prescott

Observer
Spent 800 dollars today at Big Two Mitsubishi. I'm 26 years old, have a 401k, Roth IRA, full coverage insurance, and a life insurance policy yet buying parts from the dealer seems like the most responsible adult thing I have ever done.

Got a lot of really good parts and will document everything when I get everything together.

Finally decided definitively that I will use the block from the motor I bought, the twin cam heads from another amazing member, (those are at the machine shop now) in the blue 1996 and go from there. This weekend is going to be a little bit cooler so ill be in the garage getting that done and taking pictures.

With all that being said, I will be getting rid of the 93 I have. Possibly parting it out so let me know if you guys want anything.

Last edited:

Toasty

Put the suspension seats from the '93 into the '96! It's a labor intensive project unless your '93 has the same color seats a the '96 and you swap the seats themselves into the newer truck.

Prescott

Observer
Put the suspension seats from the '93 into the '96! It's a labor intensive project unless your '93 has the same color seats a the '96 and you swap the seats themselves into the newer truck.

unfortunately they are different color otherwise I would just swap them. I like the seats in my 93 more. COuld do a whole interior swap but I'm pretty sure Ill hate life after that.

Toasty

I did an interior swap including seat fabric, seat heaters, door cards and carpet and it took me 2 days. I wanted cloth, heated, bouncy, manual seats but all my colors matched so I didn't need to swap plastics and dash.

Prescott

Observer
If I end up doing an interior swap, I will be going with cloth. I miss having cloth seats in anything I own

Prescott

Observer
Picked up the parts from Big Two Mitsubishi. Its a lot of money but it is worth it when you see the quality of everything.

Dropped the valve stem seals and cam seals off at Johnny Rackleys and they will have my heads done tomorrow. I will pick them up and add some pictures. The block will be here this weekend and assembly will begin. Not looking forward to pulling the motor in the 96 but this weekend is supposed to be cooler so thats nice.

When I pulled the motor in the 93 I left the transmission in. Do you guys have a preferred way of pulling the motor or putting it back in? I ask because it seems like every make and model has their own special way. BMW was always so much easier to pull the tranny with it because of some gnarley bolts on top of the transmission.

evomaki

Observer
Prescott, are you putting the DOHC heads off the 96 with hole in block, onto the good SOHC engine you sourced? If so that might be the way to go. The wiring harness and routing looks quite a bit different between the DOHC and the SOHC. Really I should say routing. I think that was mentioned earlier. I have a 95SR parts car and a gen 2.5. The connectors look mostly the same but the routing of the harness is pretty different. Getting that to fit might be a tough job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94