92 K1500 DD/Overland Temp

k5-cj5

1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB 5.7 NV4500/NP241. Building this up as a Temp overlanding rig while I work on my 89 Suburban V2500. This truck started out in rough shape, but I took it on a trade deal.

Replaced the front worn our seats with buckets and console from a 99 suburban (GMT400), replaced the tire with Cooper Evolution MT 285 70 17s. Swapped out the broken door panels and added the stereo, CB, and truck box. It had a plastic bed liner (never liked those much) so I took it out.

Replaced pitman arm & idler arm.

Took it on its maiden voyage to check out mining claims and blew the power steering pressure line (replaced on trail) but now the steering pump needs to be replaced, will be doing that this week.

Planning to use Durabak for the body eventually.

Red truck.jpgRed truck clean.jpgRed truck bed, box, antenna.jpgRed truck deck, mount, cb.jpgRed truck hood.jpgRed truck new door panels.jpg

Jacobm

I love the look of these old GMT400s, one of the last classic, honest work trucks.

I'd be tempted to get the tintable bedliner and keep the red exterior, are you considering that or just going with standard black?

k5-cj5

Going red Durabak with UV protectant for the truck, aside from inside the bed and possibly along the bottom being black.

Watt maker

I had a 92 K1500 ext. cab just like that, except in that old man tan color. I drove the heck out of that truck. I miss it.

Flazer

Observer
Question, since gmt400.com is sorta dead and has old info.

For your seats, can you still easily get into the rear of the extended cab? This was my worry, that I would need to seek out a seat with tilt like from a two door Tahoe or a truck with buckets. I really want the center console.

Great looking truck, let's bring back the GMT400 extended cabs as cool exploration vehicles.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Watt maker

Question, since gmt400.com is sorta dead and has old info.

For your seats, can you still easily get into the rear of the extended cab? This was my worry, that I would need to seek out a seat with tilt like from a two door Tahoe or a truck with buckets. I really want the center console.

Great looking truck, let's bring back the GMT400 extended cabs as cool exploration vehicles.

I once owned a 1992 z71 extended cab and I could get in the back seat pretty easily. Just about everyone could that I remember. I had the front bench seat that was split 60/40, the passenger seat would slide forward and the backrest would tilt forward.

TwinDuro

I’m digging it K5-CJ5! I’ve basically got the same truck, just a standard cab and really enjoy it. Low-range, 1st gear on the NV4500 is ridiculous in the best way.

Keep up the good work and can’t wait to see the Durabak paint job

Flazer

Observer
I once owned a 1992 z71 extended cab and I could get in the back seat pretty easily. Just about everyone could that I remember. I had the front bench seat that was split 60/40, the passenger seat would slide forward and the backrest would tilt forward.
I have the same 60/40 bench. My concern with putting in front seats from a 4 door vehicle is that the passenger seat would not have built in tilt and slide to access the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles