92 Isuzu pickup reality check / build

GTI-88

Hello all,

I have been wanting a small pickup for the last few years and one just happened to fall into my lap when my next door neighbor happened to need to sell his old pickup to make room in the garage. I don't think I had ever actually seen the truck at this point, but when he told me it runs and drives well, and he'd sell it to me for $500, I said deal.

All I knew at this point is that he is the kind of guy that takes care of his stuff, so a couple weeks later when he was ready to make the deal I was pleasantly surprised. This may be the best example of a stock 92 Isuzu pickup out there at this point. 103K miles on the clock, 5 speed manual, with all the typical maintenance done. Garaged for its life and not driven much in the winter (4x2). Not a spot of rust anywhere except the rear bumper, which I am planning on replacing. Bonus that it came with an aluminum camper top in pretty good shape!

Now the reality check. This thing is 4x2 and has an anemic 2.3L carbed motor making about 100hp when it rolled off the factory line. This is where I need some input. Can this truck function as a forest service road / camping / kayaking / fishing rig that will get me there and back? Not fast or in style for sure... To even keep the thing moving it will have to stay light and agile as possible.

My tentative plan is to do what I can to make this pickup as reliable as possible and make modifications that support 1-3 night camping / fishing trips within say a 300 miles radius. I am lucky enough to live in the PNW and do not have to go far to fill nearly all my outdoor recreation needs.

Short list of to do items are prioritizing reliability and maintenance, then modifications:
  • 100K maintenance / fluids / belts
  • New tires (currently thinking 27x8.5xr14 General Grabber A/TX) I want to keep the tires small to not further dog the tiny underpowered engine, and these seem to be the smallest ATs I can find to fit the 14" rims on the truck
  • Rehab / modify camper top with new paint, insulation, LED lighting
  • Simple bed camping setup in back. Needs to be easily removable
  • Additional exterior lights, LED lightbar or maybe keep it period correct Hellas
  • Clean up and repaint bumpers / trim / etc. Replace rear bumper or fab a tube steel replacement
  • Small lift? This would be a bastard pack / junkyard lift in the 2" range. Need to determine compatibility of Trooper suspension parts.
  • Considering a weber carp replacement for the stock carb and mess of vacuum lines
  • Build a rack on the existing camper top frame for additional storage space
  • The camper top needs to be readily removable to be able to use the truck for typical light truck duty needs
Now I need you all to tell me why this is a terrible idea and waste of time! I have been inspired by some of the budget builds of older pickups I have seen while browsing this site the past few weeks. Its a good reminder that we don't all need $50K+ vehicles with tons of modifications on top, that a lot can be done with a little real world time and money. My daily driver is a VW Alltrack that gets me everywhere I need to go currently, and this will be my weekend knock around truck.

Day 1 photo below, had been sitting in the neighbors garage for the past 3 months, a little dirty but remarkably good shape for a little 92 pickup that are usually beat to heck and rusted through after this many years.

Isuzu Day 1.jpg

If there is interest I plan on updating this thread as I work on the truck and get it out this spring for camping and kayaking. I also want to keep track of money I am putting into the truck as I plan on keeping it to a tight budget, looking for sales, and a healthy dose of DIY.

Chuck1

2 wd drive is ok, if you put a locker in it it would do much better, not a 4wd drive but if you know how to drive it does amazingly well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, kind of a flashback for me. In 1989, I had just returned from an overseas assignment in Germany with orders for my next duty station at Fort Lewis, WA. I was a buck sergeant (E-5) so making OK money, but trying to be frugal and figuring I was going to get out and go back to college at the end of my enlistment, I decided to not get the 4x4 I really wanted and just get a nice "basic transportation" vehicle instead. So I got a 1984 Mazda B2000 pickup, 5 speed manual, no air and just an AM radio, with a vinyl covered bench seat. I threw on a $400 aluminum topper and I was all set.

I drove that truck for the next 2 years while stationed at Lewis. The only time I ever wanted 4wd was during the one (ONE!) major snow storm we got in December of 1990. The rest of the time, 2wd and street tires worked fine.

It was underpowered and slow, but it would also go 400 miles on 11 gallons of gas! Honestly, as long as you're OK with staying off the muddy back roads and sticking to pavement or well-graded gravel (which covers a LOT of the NW), I think you'll be fine. Even better, with the money you save on fuel you can travel further and longer. I went camping near Mt. Ranier, up near Lake Chelan and out on the Olympic Peninsula with my little Mazda.

I called it "the Silver Slug" because it would never be mistaken for a "bullet." For what it was, when it was, it was the perfect vehicle for me. I finally sold it to my brother in 1992 and bought a Montero because I wanted 4wd but that little Mazda never let me down.

Reactions: plh

GTI-88

Martin, glad this brings back some memories!

This is a little bit of return to form for me. My first vehicle was a 2003 Ford Ranger, single cab, 5spd, 2wd, 2.3l truck, no AC, roll up windows, etc. etc. That truck got me down plenty of gravel and dirt tracks in western Washington, but I definitely had to avoid the mud.

That being said I am wondering how much more capable this Isuzu could be with a decent set of AT tires, again just for the dirt roads getting in and out of camp sites, etc. I have an older XJ that I drove for years and with a decent set of AT tires, I rarely threw it into 4wd, and probably half of those times, it wasn't really necessary.

My last 2 vehicles have been modern VWs with all the creature comforts, but it is kind of fun to jump in the Isuzu and feel like I have to put some work into the driving experience, especially with no power steering!

joshuag23

I'm in the PNW and picked up a 2004 Ranger in March! Hoping to spend as much time in the rainforest as possible :) Have you seen @Andrew_S 's S-15 build? I wish there was a small truck category. Such an amazing build.

D

Deleted member 9101

Fortunately for you the truck already meets your 1-3 night camping goal. Throw a Wal-Mart tent in the back and go enjoy nature. The worse thing that you can do to a truck like that is modify it. They work great stock, modifying it will just open one can of worms after another.

If you keep it stock, keep it light, and keep it simple you'll be surprised at how much fun that truck can be.

GTI-88

I'm in the PNW and picked up a 2004 Ranger in March! Hoping to spend as much time in the rainforest as possible :) Have you seen @Andrew_S 's S-15 build? I wish there was a small truck category. Such an amazing build.

I binge read his entire thread and definitely think it’s inspirational for how far you can go with a budget build, hard work, and focusing on your needs vs wants

GTI-88

Fortunately for you the truck already meets your 1-3 night camping goal. Throw a Wal-Mart tent in the back and go enjoy nature. The worse thing that you can do to a truck like that is modify it. They work great stock, modifying it will just open one can of worms after another.

If you keep it stock, keep it light, and keep it simple you'll be surprised at how much fun that truck can be.
More than modifications, I guess I am thinking prioritizing maintenance and reliability upgrades that make sense, and then some simple mods to correct deficiencies. For example the existing headlights are pretty awful. Adding some additional auxiliary lighting doesn’t negatively impact anything, but definitely helps the stock lights

Heading Out

Adventurer
I explored for years with 2wd Datsun pick ups, Good tires, good shocks will cover forest roads
no problem.

Swap the stock headlights for Hella H4's maybe add a pair of good driving lights.

Carry a come along with some good recovery gear, come-along, jack, cable, straps etc.

Drive with some sense and you can go lots of places.

This was my set up for years and worked very well.

Good luck in your adventures!

D

Deleted member 9101

More than modifications, I guess I am thinking prioritizing maintenance and reliability upgrades that make sense, and then some simple mods to correct deficiencies. For example the existing headlights are pretty awful. Adding some additional auxiliary lighting doesn’t negatively impact anything, but definitely helps the stock lights

Sounds like a good plan my man!

GTI-88

I explored for years with 2wd Datsun pick ups, Good tires, good shocks will cover forest roads
no problem.

Swap the stock headlights for Hella H4's maybe add a pair of good driving lights.

Carry a come along with some good recovery gear, come-along, jack, cable, straps etc.

Drive with some sense and you can go lots of places.

This was my set up for years and worked very well.

Good luck in your adventures!
Thanks for the recommendation on the H4s. I didn't realize there are so many replacement options out there for the old sealed beam headlights. Upgrading those and adding a small LED light bar would make a huge difference over stock.

I drove the truck a couple days last week and driving home in the dark I had no idea I had my high beams on! Turned them off and I would have been better off driving with a flashlight strapped to the hood

GTI-88

Small update, I picked up a new thermostat and coolant and plan on flushing the radiator and getting the new tstat in this weekend.

The trucks temp gauge always seems to read very low, only ever approaching C and never really getting above that, at least running around town for 20-30 minute trips. I figure flushing the system and replacing the tstat can't hurt the situation and is on my 100K maintenance list anyway.

I also removed the aluminum camper top and got it set up on saw horses in the garage until I can start refurbing it this spring. I can't deny I like the look of the truck with the topper removed. I am now thinking of a summer setup minus the camper top and mounting my old Thule box in the bed, giving me some dry storage while keeping the bed available for other equipment.

That being said, these are on the way via amazon:

Truck Bed Bars.jpg

I toyed with making some DIY crossbars out of unistrut, but for only $150 the above bars seemed like a great deal assuming they are decent quality. I will update once I get them and see what the quality is like!

When I got the truck I told myself I would get through all the maintenance before any "fun" upgrades, but hey, I am considering the new bars my Christmas present to myself!

Pictures and updates to follow... Also plan on doing a running budget of money I put into the truck, just for fun and as a challenge to see what can be done on a limited budget

Heading Out

Adventurer
Thanks for the recommendation on the H4s. I didn't realize there are so many replacement options out there for the old sealed beam headlights. Upgrading those and adding a small LED light bar would make a huge difference over stock.

I drove the truck a couple days last week and driving home in the dark I had no idea I had my high beams on! Turned them off and I would have been better off driving with a flashlight strapped to the hood

I should have added stay away from the cheap plastic lens lights, spend the dough on quality Hellas.
Be sure to read up on the proper way to aim the E code H4s and add relays so the bulbs get full voltage,
this will make sure the headlights put out the best light for you.

I always wire the light bar relayed to the hi beams with a switch in the cab, this way the bar will light or
dim with the hi beams, but you can choose to use it or not.

GTI-88

I should have added stay away from the cheap plastic lens lights, spend the dough on quality Hellas.
Be sure to read up on the proper way to aim the E code H4s and add relays so the bulbs get full voltage,
this will make sure the headlights put out the best light for you.

I always wire the light bar relayed to the hi beams with a switch in the cab, this way the bar will light or
dim with the hi beams, but you can choose to use it or not.
Thanks for the additional info! That is exactly what I have found for the best way to wire a light bar and is how I plan on doing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94