'92 2wd to low SAS 4x4 conversion

Muttle

Observer
This is my 1992 2wd Pickup build. It might be a slow build or it might, not only time will tell.
I purchased this truck after I had broken the frame on my previously SAS's 87 pickup. Coming from a 22re powered Regular cab on 37's, I decided a more street-able truck would suit DD/ weekend wheeling duties a bit better,considering the terrain closest to me. I've wanted a low solid axle truck for some time now and the IFS 4x4 frames make it really difficult to tuck everything under the frame rails with reasonable up travel. I'm not a huge fan of swapping frames, especially being in the rust belt with mid 80's Toyota's. The most logical choice was to go with a 2wd for three reasons. Around here they seem to be less prone to serious frame rust, they have a more pronounced kick up in the front section of the frame like a older solid axle truck and last but not least, they are cheap.

I scored this little 22RE powered gem off the second owner with 132 000km's (82 000 miles)
This is a picture of it the day before I bought it.

49762741282_0aa1903f16_c.jpg

After driving it around for a year and only putting a LCE header and exhaust on it, I decided it was time for it to go under the knife.
I tossed it up on stands and grabbed some scrap tires from work to get an idea of what it would look like once complete.

49762412091_956500a311_c.jpg

after parting out my SAS'd '87 I had kept very little. One of the few things I had was the front axle housing. I had previously trussed the axle, but at this new ride height I did not want the truss to come into contact with the oil pan. So off it came.

49761881338_1e84e2cc66_c.jpg

I eventually got around to chopping off the front suspension and removing the rusted out 2wd front fenders.

49761881318_b8c7583f61_c.jpg

To make things easier to clean up, I removed the engine.

49762411966_691e0dccfb_c.jpg

Sadly the truck fell on the back burner and sat like that for about 8 months. Once I had some motivation again I grabbed the sand paper and spray paint and went to town on the engine bay.
Washed and sanded.

49762224948_77c666cf38_c.jpg

In primer

49763082587_d345de84e3_c.jpg

Painted with stuff migrating back in the engine bay

49762224678_b0a8ea2f49_c.jpg

I also got around to grinding out the rust spots on the inner fenders, painting and undercoating.
After a nasty Canadian winter my LCE header was starting to get some surface rust on it so out came more sand paper and high temp paint.
While waiting for paint to dry I busted out the JB weld to smooth over my pitted knuckle balls.

I grabbed a rear axle from a 86 4runner off a local forum member and just tossed it underneath so I could move the truck around easier.
I decided I would like a little lift in the truck so I ordered up some OME heavies for the front so I could get started on mocking everything up.
Ended up that I had to wait about 3 months for some back ordered items to show. In that time I had my IFS front hubs machined down to fit 3rd Gen 4 runner brake rotors, and installed extended studs.

49763291957_0a79d4d0be_c.jpg

After not welding anything for 2 years I decided to start small and boxed the steering stops on the axle

49762962256_ab301792db_c.jpg

Cut some holes in the frame for shackle tubes

49762435923_dd31e87c1a_c.jpg

I eventually became bored from the back order. Tossed part of the front end together, rolled some 33"s under it and sat behind the steering wheel making engine noises.

49763286322_d41596d5fb_c.jpg

Finally my front springs showed up.

49762975086_58cefd25b8_c.jpg

This past weekend I welded the passenger side frame brace in and mocked up the axle and springs.
Currently the front hanger needs to be moved back to get a slightly better shackle angle but over the next couple days I will drop the engine back in to get an idea how much clearance I have. As of right now between the top of the spring at the center pin and bottom of frame I have 10 inches of clearance. YAY 2wd frames.

49762457118_362651e670_c.jpg

Hope I can keep this momentum up.

Last edited:

john doe

Looks great so far. I am looking forward to see how everything works out. I know on my mext build I will be taking my time to make it lower yet still very functional from the beginning. I am curious to see how much up-travel you loose once weight is applied.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Awesome idea! I can't believe that I never thought of using an old 2wd for a SAS project. Nice job so far, keep up the good work.

So... are you going to 3.4 swap while you're at it?

2scars

Adventurer
Oh, you need to hurry this up, this is going to be really cool. I love the low SAS idea. My brother just swapped his 2nd gen 4runner and it came out wayyyyyyy higher than I would've wanted, especially in VA. He had to put on 35s to make it look right and then 5.29s to make that right. I will stick with IFS for a long time I think. This is going to be great though, thanks for sharing.

Brandon

OSV

Adventurer
after parting out my SAS'd '87 I had kept very little. One of the few things I had was the front axle housing. I had previously trussed the axle, but at this new ride height I did not want the truss to come into contact with the oil pan. So off it came.

would a 22re 4wd oil pan have given you enough clearance?

there is an old thread on pirate about turning a 2wd drive frame into a 4wd sas frame.

keep us posted how it goes.

Muttle

Observer
Looks great so far. I am looking forward to see how everything works out. I know on my mext build I will be taking my time to make it lower yet still very functional from the beginning. I am curious to see how much up-travel you loose once weight is applied.

I'll be keeping an eye on the up travel. My last build had around 3 inches of up travel before it hit the bump stops, made for a rough ride down the Forestry roads around here.

Awesome idea! I can't believe that I never thought of using an old 2wd for a SAS project. Nice job so far, keep up the good work.

So... are you going to 3.4 swap while you're at it?

At this time I won't be doing an engine swap, down the road it is a possibility. If I were to do one I would go with a 2rz/3rz or jump up to the 1uz which was the plan in my old truck. The 3.4 is a good engine I just am not a huge fan of V6's

Oh, you need to hurry this up, this is going to be really cool. I love the low SAS idea. My brother just swapped his 2nd gen 4runner and it came out wayyyyyyy higher than I would've wanted, especially in VA. He had to put on 35s to make it look right and then 5.29s to make that right. I will stick with IFS for a long time I think. This is going to be great though, thanks for sharing.

Brandon
I had a similar issue when I first SAS'd my '87, it was a lot higher than I wanted but after reworking the suspension again I cut about 6 inches out of the height.

would a 22re 4wd oil pan have given you enough clearance?

there is an old thread on pirate about turning a 2wd drive frame into a 4wd sas frame.

keep us posted how it goes.

It might have given me more clearance, but it was easy enough to cut the truss off as is. I do have a 4wd pan if I do in fact need it for clearance issues.

Looking awesome!

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll try and keep this updated as I go.

Muttle

Observer
didn't get up to much today.
Swapped out the rag joint from the 2wd steering box to the 4wd one

49763328927_014a51b3a3_c.jpg

Finished welding the shackle tubes in

49763313437_bd22806e98_c.jpg

Broke out the plasma cutter and cut off the rest of the axle shock mounts. Then decided to throw the engine back in so I could check clearances once the axle is back under.

49763336147_5a469b351b_c.jpg

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
Some good progress Matt! Any bites on the Tundy? You think you will have this thing together for summer trail fun?

I'm picking up my new wheels next Saturday and throwing them on. Lemme know if you want to take the black ones off my hands.

Muttle

Observer
Some good progress Matt! Any bites on the Tundy? You think you will have this thing together for summer trail fun?

I'm picking up my new wheels next Saturday and throwing them on. Lemme know if you want to take the black ones off my hands.

I doubt the truck will be ready for this summer, it needs a fair amount of parts still. No real bites on the Tundra, I have it priced high right now, will probably drop the price once I'm back from my trip to the states. Guess there's not much demand for a Supercharged RCSB Tundra, everyone wants Crewmax ones. Hopefully the right buyer comes along soon, I have to many projects that need attention before they rust away.

Damn rights I want your old wheels, they are the exact ones I was going to order. Let me know bud

Muttle

Observer
so I went to my shop for a few minutes tonight. I ended up tossing the axle and springs back under to take some measurements. Since I don't have my transmission in there I used the jack to get the engine tilted to the stock 5 degree angle. As you can see below there is lots of space, just putting the engine in dropped the height of the springs 9/16".

49763336132_0a8a79861b_c.jpg

Measurements:
Top of spring to bottom of Frame = 9 7/16"
Top of axle tube to bottom of oil pan = 7 1/2"
Even though there is quite a bit of space between the axle and oil pan, I think I will toss the 4wd oil pan on it for peace of mind.

The added weight made my shackle angle much better. I might keep the front Spring hanger there and take down the measurements. I would guess the truck is still missing about 400lbs of sprung weight, so I think the shackle will move more towards where I want it once the truck is back together.

49763006861_8c6a3a76d5_c.jpg

Last edited:

ejwan

Great progress!
I am also doing a 2wd to 4x4. I didn't know there was a difference in oil pan I am interested to see how much clearance you gain with the 4x4 Pan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94