91 FJ80 - Trans flush proceedure?

blackyman7

Hey, I bought a non-running 91 Land Cruiser a few months ago and just got it up and running. I took it around the block and the engine was running great, but I quickly realized the transmission wasn't running right. I took it right back and found the dreaded strawberry milkshake in the radiator. I have flushed the cooling system as best as I can, replaced the radiator, and I think I have it all cleaned out.
I have drained the transmission pan, but I'm a little unsure of the best way to make sure its all the way flushed. I have a new trans filter and gasket on the way. Once I drop the pan and clean it out that way, what else do I need to do to make sure its safe to run again?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You will need to go to a shop with a transmission fluid change machine. This machine will pump ALL the transmission fluid out and replace the old fluid in the complete system with new transmission fluid. This includes the converter, lines, cooler and other parts not drained when the pan is removed.

Dropping the pan only drains about 1/2 the fluid. The converter and other parts of the transmission are not drained by dropping the pan.

MOAK

Adventurer
You will need to go to a shop with a transmission fluid change machine. This machine will pump ALL the transmission fluid out and replace the old fluid in the complete system with new transmission fluid. This includes the converter, lines, cooler and other parts not drained when the pan is removed.

Dropping the pan only drains about 1/2 the fluid. The converter and other parts of the transmission are not drained by dropping the pan.
Correct. In fact it’s only possible for us to drain 1 gallon out of the 3 that’s up in there.

I have a 96 LX450, and contacted my local Toyota dealer. They have the machine to fluch, service my transmission. I told heim specifically, I want 100% of my original fluid removed....he said it takes 16 quarts to flush and remove, and right behind it with my supplied 16 quarts of Amsoil, with three quarts that get wasted...$310 for the service with my fluids...money well spent in my mind......i hope.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Did your Toyota dealer also install a new transmission filter during this $310.00 "Service"?

If not NOW you git to drop the transmission pan, lose 7-8 quarts of your new tranny fluid you just installed just so you can change the transmission filter that your transmission flush did not do. All the flush did was pump new fluid through your old filter.

Doesn't make a lot of "Cents" to run all that new fluid through and old filter full of crap!

Yes, a new filter gets installed with the fluid change. Its not until Dec 20th, I also told them Im gonna be right there, over his shoulder wathing every move and dont care about their "due to insurance policy, no customer is allowed" sticker on the wall", mostly because I trust no-one and the majority of people simply dont give a crap about vehicle #XXX in their work day, and second because I've never had it done.
. Why would someone change a fluid w/o changing the filter?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It's done everyday at quick oil change shops around the country.

They sell the customer a transmission fluid flush and send em on their way!

Changing the transmission filter is way to labor and time intensive for those business's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles