90's Roadtrek...need a Roof Rack Solution and Back Door Tire Rack!

Juliacecere

Here is my 1994 Dodge Ram B350 Roadtrek I'm renovating! I'm trying to find a purchasable or custom solution to add a roof rack, and am trying to find a way to mount my spare tire on my rear door considering it's taking up space under my bed benches. Due to the fiberglass roof and the abnormal height between the rain gutters and the clearance over the roof I cannot find a single solution online to add a roof rack. Raingutter solutions are too short and I don't think installing a rack onto fiberglass is the smartest option lol (I'd like to be able to stand on it...and would rather not drill holes in my roof). Also I can't find a place to purchase a tire rack except for one listing on Amazon with no reviews so...

PHOTO-2021-01-29-00-03-48 2.jpg

However...I found this online and have tried messaging the guy on the camper rental site I found it on and he has not responded to let me know how/where he found his solution. His posting is on https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/marina-del-rey_ca/1992_roadtrek_190-versatile_153308-listing

Anyone out there who can help me out?

Thanks!

bv2pceopygq1q9fx4ugu.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Regarding the tire carrier, since you have external door hinges, most of the options will use the method of a C-shaped over-hinge with a bolt that goes behind the hinge material (What's shown in that photo). Some are meant to attach to the outside door skin at the far end, but this would not be my preference. Some attach to the inside-jamb of the door. You're still drilling holes, but at least they're not visible if you ever reverse the installation.

https://www.vanaccessoriesdirect.co...ries-ram-van-1970-2003?variant=30148373020790 - the Surco TD100 has variants for both the split cargo doors and the single ambulance door. This one would require drilling into the outer door skin. Maybe take it to a welder and have a little bracket fabbed so you can attach to the inner door jamb instead? (That depends on how big the body gap is at the door, I suppose.)
rt-tire02.JPG

Note also that all of these types of carriers are "RV duty" - aka light duty. This is basically a single length of 1" tubing (thin-wall, IIRC from the one I cut up a few years ago for a project). Then the brackets are just welded on. This will work fine for an OEM-weight tire on the highway. Put a big heavy AT tire on, then bounce it down a washboard road, and I'd expect it to fail. This is not to say you shouldn't buy one, but I'd inspect it regularly, and be prepared to have it reinforced by a welder if things start to fail.

Alternatively, you could look at copying the later Roadtreks and have a 2nd hitch receiver added offset to one side. If you have a bolt-on tow hitch, it'd be pretty easy for most welders to unbolt it, add a 2nd receiver, and reinstall. Slide in one of the ubiquitous and inexpensive tilt-down tire holders so you can still open the door, and it will also serve as a step or low table at the rear of the van.
rt-tire.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier