9000 lb Winch for '02 DII with ARB Winch bumper?

Lono

Adventurer
Hi all,

I posted here as opposed to the "support gear" forum since my question is Discovery II specific, hope thats ok.

Looking to not reinvent the wheel here and see what people have successfully installed in similar applications without ridiculous mods or fabrication.

As the title says, I'm looking for a 9000 lb. class winch for my 2002 Discovery II with an ARB winch bumper already installed.

I'm going to stick with the usual suspect major manufacturers like Warn and Superwinch. Warrior seems to be a reputable contender if anyone has a fitment suggestion for one of those. Of course any suggestion regarding a winch that worked for you would be appreciated, regardless of brand.

It has been suggested to me that the Superwinch Talon 9.5 would suit my needs well at a great price point. The main question (and I suppose this applies to any make) is, does it matter on this truck if I run the "i" model with integrated solenoid on top or do I need to run the model with the side-mounted solenoid. My truck has always run fine temp-wise with two big Hella 4000's in front of the grill, which I can happily remove if the combo of those and the integrated/top-mounted solenoid proves to be too restrictive. My point being that with those alone in front of the grill I've never had a problem.

Expecting to pay in the $1000.00 range, plus or minus. Preferably more on the "minus" side if possible. I know Warn has some rebates going currently.

I'm looking for specific model suggestions if possible, based on what people have installed on their trucks or what they happen to know works on this application.

Also, if anyone had an idea on how much time a shop might charge for installing one of these, I'd appreciate the input on that too.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies to this.

Steve O.

Last edited:

fishEH

Explorer
Just about any 9K Warn or Superwinch would be good. You have to ask yourself if you want steel cable or synthetic line. I'd go synthetic line with a hawse fairlead. Some Winches have the solenoid
pack integrated into the housing, usually represented by an "i" in the model #. Some bumpers sit very tight to the truck and require cutting the grill, this is where having an integrated solenoid pack could be a drawback. I don't think this is a concern with the ARB bumpers.

If you want a new winch I'd try Amazon. If you want a deal, try to find a used one on Craigslist or boards like this.

As far as cost of install.... I would try to find a local LR club to help. Most guys would be happy to help for the cost of beer, and it shouldn't take more than an hour.

troy

Adventurer
I have a warn XD9000 that came with my truck. Also the ARB Bumper. Everything fits and works as it should. I also have a pair of Hella's and the truck runs plenty cool.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Steve, if you're still waiting in May I'd be happy to install/help you install. I did the superwinch in my ARB along with rotating the lever housing as sometimes the lever can hit the ARB housing.

Lono

Adventurer
Guys, thanks a million for the input, suggestions, and offers. I ended up speaking to a guy at ARB. I learned that ARB designs it's bumpers around The Warn line. After talking too few other people on the phone I ended up with a Warn VR10000. At only $579.00 with a $50.00 Warn rebate it was hard to pass up given that it's a genuine Warn and not a cheap re-badged import. I'm tight on time with the next Overland Experts Module (which is mostly recovery) coming up on the 20th so I'm gonna have my shop install it this week. As always, thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra