89 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia

otiswesty

Regular guy
A couple of pics of my 1989 Vanagon. I have a 2002 G500 also, we use the van for family trips and the gwagen is for solo or dude trips. The pic at the campsite is my 2 teenage sons. We all sleep in the van, the big kids in the top bunk, my 12 year old in a hammock over the front seats and the wife and I in the lower bunk. Pretty cozy.:costumed-smiley-007

Attachments

• Anza1.jpg
    Anza1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 179
  • anza2.jpg
    anza2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 193
  • anza3.jpg
    anza3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 408

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Super sweet man!

I love those lower lights! I wish i had picked them up before they discontinued them.

Did you do the linex type lower section? How do you like it? I thought of doing it but not sure on cost vs. benefit.

Awesome van thanks for posting!

Wandr

Observer
Very nice indeed! I have never seen those lower lights. I love those. I did the line-x as well. I love it! It cost me about $450.00. I like the looks of it and it is great for stone chips and such! Did you make a hammock in the front? I have never seen those for the Vanagon.

Wandr

Observer
I really don't know if it added any weight. I can't imagine it is much if it did. I have seen some vans carry the line-x to the front of the van kind of like a bra. I thought about doing that as well. I am very happy with the install. It is pretty thick. Those lights are awsome too bad they are discontinued.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Very nice indeed! I have never seen those lower lights. I love those. I did the line-x as well. I love it! It cost me about $450.00. I like the looks of it and it is great for stone chips and such! Did you make a hammock in the front? I have never seen those for the Vanagon.

The hammock is a product I got from Gary Lee in Canada. I also bought one of his swing away tire carriers and hatch ladders. Great products. For the hammock poles and brackets, I used a set out of my old 1978 Westy. Works just as well as it did in the years of camping we did in the "pea green love machine." It is just a different piece of canvas that Gary Lee makes.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/frontbed/frontbed.htm

The line-x on the bottom I put on after I needed a bit of bodywork on a lower panel due to a campground stump in the dark, otherwise the van is original paint. The down side is that the textured black tends to hold onto dirt more readily than the glossy paint, so it will be browned out on the bottom after a dusty trail run. The only places that I have found to be susceptible to rock chips are the front of the rear wheel fender lip and the front surface of the van. But it is a nice look. I have seen the front line-x bra done and it looks decent, the problem would be keeping it clean, if you are into that.:ylsmoke:

The fogs are ProjektZwo, I picked up a set a couple years ago for a bit of $. They are German made, but aftermarket. The plastic housing is a bit flimsy, but looks good in that space.

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
Recent trip out to Wallowa Lake, Road to Imnaha, Hell's Canyon

:smiley_drive:

Attachments

• Post 002.jpg
    Post 002.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 30
  • camp2.jpg
    camp2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 47
  • wallowa.jpg
    wallowa.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 30
  • road.jpg
    road.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 63
  • camp1.jpg
    camp1.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Post 001.jpg
    Post 001.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Post 005.jpg
    Post 005.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Post 003.jpg
    Post 003.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 28
  • HCyn.jpg
    HCyn.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Post 007.jpg
    Post 007.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 26

otiswesty

Regular guy
Haven't posted here for a while, but we have had the van down in Baja at Los Cabos Storage right next to the airport. Fly in from Oregon, arrive at noon, on the beach with cold Pacificos by 12:45. We went down to drive the Syncro home last month, here are a few pics...

Ligui.jpgSantispac.jpgSanIgnacio.jpgCactus.jpg

otiswesty

Regular guy
We stopped in Malibu and just had to snap this shot of two super sweet rigs in the lot

SweetRigs.jpg

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
After a couple years SOB, the aux battery was dead and we had to use the cooler. Maybe simpler is better...

Cooler.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz