89 GEN1 LWB Introduction from Charlotte, NC

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
I'm new to the forums. I picked up this 89 Montero recently and am in the process of going over it and catching up on maintenance. It's really clean and original with no rust. I'll get up to speed with the archives and learn more about these.

Attachments

• Montero.jpg
    Montero.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 53

PacS14

Adventurer
Hi All,
I'm new to the forums. I picked up this 89 Montero recently and am in the process of going over it and catching up on maintenance. It's really clean and original with no rust. I'll get up to speed with the archives and learn more about these.
Welcome! I can't see the attachment on Tapatalk, but post more pictures!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

cnutco

Adventurer
Welcome! That thing looks amazingly clean! Yes, more pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadzeilenga

Will do, it’s in garage right now while I go through the mechanicals and fluids.
beac2d8e49b30e787a37daafca65efff.jpg
f6de262aee679595f2cb86527fa51ab9.jpg
b81327c99287939e19e7a372bf5d7c57.jpg

PacS14

Adventurer

Will do, it’s in garage right now while I go through the mechanicals and fluids.
beac2d8e49b30e787a37daafca65efff.jpg
f6de262aee679595f2cb86527fa51ab9.jpg
b81327c99287939e19e7a372bf5d7c57.jpg

Man congratulations! That Monty is really clean! Keep us updated and feel free to add as many pictures as possible.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Great looking Gen I, congrats and welcome. Plenty of helpful info/people on this forum, I know I've learned a vast amount. Keep us updated.

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
Spent some time in the garage tonight.

-Got the oil changed and OEM filter put on.

- Cleaned all the brake dust off and inspected pads

- added a little seafoam to the PS reservoir as I have a sticky pump at idle, can barely turn the wheel. Seems ok at driving speeds. This weekend I’ll get the fluid flushed out and some fresh OEM stuff in.

- Drained the coolant and refilled with Blue Devil flush and distilled water. Tons of rust in coolant system. Going to drive around for a few days with that in there and then do a few more drain and fills until the water is clear coming out. I saw some block drain plugs mentioned in manual, but couldn’t find them anywhere, will check the forums to see what I can find out.

Other than that, ran great when I put back together tonight.

Anyone know what this temp sensor is for on thermostat housing or the Mitsubishi PN?
69d2cb521b5a43b13c845091fa75332d.jpg

chadzeilenga

Got the radiator and block flushed and a new batch of Blue Devil put in to run around with. Coolant was rust red when it came out. I would like to install an original radiator as I think this one is not.

Have a Check engine light, likely from that broken temp sensor in prior post. Need to change that out.

Also found that my sticky steering was due to loose PS belt, all good now.

chadzeilenga

I’ve identified the broken sensor in prior post to be the AC Temp Sensor, but cannot find a PN for it anywhere. It is a 2-wire configuration. Anyone know where I can find the PN?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 23

plh

Explorer
grab ASA from Mitsubishilinks.com, should be able to find the part number of that sensor in the part number database program.

chadzeilenga

grab ASA from Mitsubishilinks.com, should be able to find the part number of that sensor in the part number database program.

I just got this last night so that should go a long way in finding what I need! Thanks.

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
Spent some time on the Montero tonight. Got all of the lube points refilled with grease. Some of the new parts PO put on like lower ball joints were completely dry...! I must have put at least a half tube in for all of them. Rides much smoother now.

Snugged the trans pan bolts and wipped down the lines, pans to check for any current leaks. Nothing on the driveway.

I think my CEL is related to the broken temp sensor. I located the diagnostic plug, but only had a DVOM, so I was unable to read the signals to confirm. New sensor is in the mail, so won’t be long. Any recommended ways to get codes? Is there an adapter plug that can be bought?

Is it even possible to access block drain plugs with engine in vehicle? Just curious cause I’m about to start changing out the distilled water/cleaner that is currently in there.

chadzeilenga

The ASA got flagged by my antivirus as malware, anyone else have this issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles