89 GEN1 LWB Introduction from Charlotte, NC

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Good to see this old machine getting loved, Frank is spot on what i was going to recommend.

chadzeilenga

Nice truck, I love my Gen 1s too. Judgung by the pic you have a plastic after market radiator? I had ordered a new radiator and to my surprise it was plastic so I returned it and got mine fixed.

When I did the head gasket on my 1990 I removed a bolt that is on the side of the block and that way I got all the old coolant/ antifreeze that lingers inside. Next time I am going to try that Sulphamic - Oxalic - Washing Soda flush.

Javy

Yea, I’m no fan of the plastic replacement. I’m hunting for an OEM currently. Wondering if the GEN2 is the same.

Before I put in a cleaned OEM unit, I wanted to be sure the rest of the system is clean
This bolt, is it accessible with engine fully installed?

You can find more details about the flush online. It worked really well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadzeilenga

I spent the morning with an engine clean and a 4 step exterior: clay bar, DA cleaner, polish and wax
d5991259b871ad70ed4c634cf719bd2e.jpg
c6422a84956d414fbf1ee90cfc60fd94.jpg

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
Been driving the Montero around and enjoying it. Have put ~650mi on it so far since I purchased it.

Found a new problem that I need to do some research on with the FSM. I drove to work today (10mi) and had no issues, ran smooth and quiet whole way. On the way home from work, I noticed that the transmission (KM148) was holding onto 2nd gear for too long. It typically shifts somewhere between 2-3k RPM. I was going all the way to 4k RPM and wasn't shifting into 3rd, but the shift from 1-2 seemed ok. I didn't try to go beyond 4k, so I kept my speeds low until I could do some reading and investigation. The fluid level was within range, clean and smelled ok within the last 600mi. I'll start working through the FSM troubleshooting guide and see what I can find out. Any thoughts, let me know.

chadzeilenga

An update:
- Fluid checked ok. COLD was between the COLD marks and warmed up was between the HOT marks. Looked clean and smelled ok. I'm not sure it is SPIII fluid, so I have some Mitsubishi fluid I'll do a drain & fill with.
- Inhibitor switch working, no start in gear, only N & P
- Manual linkage notch was facing directly down.
- The selector lever would shift from N to R & D without the button pressed in. Also would shift from 1-2-D without the button. All other positions required the button to be pressed.
- I completed the D Range Road Test @ 50% throttle. All upshifts were completed, but the speed change points were incorrect (higher), so I attempted to adjust my throttle cable. The instructions/diagram in FSM are hard to understand. I can't tell if the 0-1mm is from the stopper to the end of the dust cover or to the seat? Is this at WOT? Mine appears to be at the red arrow (I slid my dust cover forward to show) I adjusted my cable (1) full turn of the nut. This seemed to lower the shift points a little. The cable also was able to move freely.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I think the orange dust cover needs to slide back, but I’m not sure where to measure the 1mm

Got some other stuff working like a new horn button and original radio installed. Unfortunately, I can't pickup any stations with the radio and FSM calls out a replacement... If anyone has one to sell, I'd be interested.
0a2e80c8d65ff5e98be0679c16c0e295.jpg

Last edited:

chadzeilenga

Messed with radio some today and getting better reception. Seems better when unit is out of dash, so maybe a bad wire?

I installed a 2in receiver to back of Montero and am not sure why it is on an angle:

a3853155f220413e784fb151922d2318.jpg

This is what was on there which can make it tough to level a trailer.

d9ee6e90d87b1c801d8a1df62133d527.jpg

mudraider

Adventurer
So, I spent some time on coolant system tonight. I hooked up a hose to the existing connection that was spliced into one of the heater hoses. I disconnected lower radiator hose and ran some fluid at about 1/4 flow of the hose capacity until it was coming out clear.

Then I reconnected the lower rad hose to the rad and back flushed water up through radiator for a good 20 min. Water was very clear coming out.

Closed up system and once thermostat opened it was a rusty cloud coming through. I probably should back flush a few more times, but I’m wondering if there is anything stronger than the Blue Devil that is safe for the components in system?

Is there anything specific for removing rust from cooling system?

Vinegar

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94