88 E250 EB Quigley - back in the van game

KlutchInd

I've been lurking and reading here for a few months while searching for a good project van. So many hours reading! My last van was about 7 years ago, 88 GMC G30 with a homemade (not by me) 4x4 conversion. My plan this time was to find a clean, rust free, low mileage van and send it to Chris at UJoint. Then last week this OBS Quigley popped up on Craigslist. I drove about an hour and a half to look at it and for some reason I brought cash with me. Turned out to be more than I could resist and I drove it home. I'm a moto guy so my plan is a mild camper build while still being able to toss a bike, gear and spares in as well. I think the rack will come in handy.

Overall the van seems pretty solid. The motor runs well, although feels a little sluggish even for this big lug. Have all the usual motor tune up parts on order. But it definitely needs some things. First on the list is to get the rusty rockers repaired. Luckily the rust is not past the point of no return. In the process of looking for a good body man.

One thing I learned quickly is how difficult it is to find 16.5 tires now. The turbines are super cool, just wish I could find decent rubber. Not sure what I'm going to replace them with yet. Probably something in 16" with 33's.

I do have a question for some of you Quigley and/or Ford guys. Currently only two of the gauges work, volts and oil pressure. Concerning the speedometer, I found the problem. The cable has been resting against the exhaust, melted and seized up. It's on the short piece that connects to the transfer case after the speed sensor. Where do I find this short speedo cable?

I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions. And eventually some build photos.

88E250_1.JPG

88E250_2.JPG

88E250_3.JPG

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
This thread needs front suspension and interior pics. Awesome van. The short section of speedo cable might be a Quigley part. Mine's all one piece.

cjken

Explorer
Those rims look sweet.
Yes 16.5 hard to find.
Where in NY is that? Looks to be in good shape. How's the underside rust?
Rust in NY killed my first q-van

KlutchInd

I'll work on getting some more pics. Interior is pretty boring...empty. I was afraid that cable might be a quigley part. It looks like somebody replaced the speeds sensor (still not sure what it actually connects to...anyone?) and routed the cable poorly and it rested against the exhaust. So unfortunately I also don't know how many miles are on it. Clock reads 61k, but condition tells me its higher.

I picked it up just outside of Glens Falls which is a bit north of Albany. I'm up in the mtns near Lake Placid, road salt central. I don't plan on driving it this winter until I can get the rust repaired.

A little history, I'm guessing the PO was maybe third owner. He said it was originally bought as a hot air balloon chase vehicle. Blue with balloons painted along the side. Second owner used it as kind of a farm truck hauling wood and things around his property. PO told me it basically sat for about 11 years, which could mean the mileage isn't that bad. It got painted black, inside and out, dash and doghouse included. Was formerly blue like the exterior. He finally talked the guy into selling it after sitting for so long and then drove it for about a year before listing it for sale.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I do have a question for some of you Quigley and/or Ford guys. Currently only two of the gauges work, volts and oil pressure. Concerning the speedometer, I found the problem. The cable has been resting against the exhaust, melted and seized up. It's on the short piece that connects to the transfer case after the speed sensor. Where do I find this short speedo cable?...

Yeah this is a big clue it's Quigley...the vans never had a transfer case so an "extension" was used to make the shorter cable work with the longer powertrain. I haven't looked at a diagram or anything but I'm not sure there's a speed sensor originally. My C6 (you should have the same) is entirely mechanical and doesn't need speed sensor. My speedometer is mechanical and cable driven, so no speed sensor for that either. Maybe the speed sensor is for the cruise/ecm? OR maybe it came with the transfer case but isn't van related at all? I don't know just thinking out loud.

hogasm

Observer
All Truck and Auto in Manteo NC has 33/12.50/16.5 BF Goodrich

I have told others about their prices and some have driven as far as NY to get new shoes.

KlutchInd

Yeah this is a big clue it's Quigley...the vans never had a transfer case so an "extension" was used to make the shorter cable work with the longer powertrain. I haven't looked at a diagram or anything but I'm not sure there's a speed sensor originally. My C6 (you should have the same) is entirely mechanical and doesn't need speed sensor. My speedometer is mechanical and cable driven, so no speed sensor for that either. Maybe the speed sensor is for the cruise/ecm? OR maybe it came with the transfer case but isn't van related at all? I don't know just thinking out loud.

Yeah that's the conclusion I came to. My speedo is also mechanical and I don't have cruise control. Wouldn't there be the same port on the transmission for the speedo cable? I wasn't thinking to look when I was under there.

KlutchInd

All Truck and Auto in Manteo NC has 33/12.50/16.5 BF Goodrich

I have told others about their prices and some have driven as far as NY to get new shoes.

Thanks hogasm. Not sure I want to keep the turbines bad enough to drive to NC. Although they are in really nice shape.

KlutchInd

Looks like I was making it more difficult than it had to be. Some google searching and it seems there are a handful of places I can get an extension or possibly have one made if necessary. Gotta remember its just an old Ford.

More good news is my box from Summit came with my tune up parts. Thanksgiving weekend garage sesh coming up.

KlutchInd

So the old Ford went to Boston this winter. It had a touch more rust than I wanted to deal with and I just happened to find the rig I've been searching for for quite a while. Found it on ebay and flew to Houston to pick it up.

disaster1.JPG

disaster2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles