'87 VW Syncro Van in Powell River BC

Yukondoit

https://victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/d/87-vw-syncro-van-4wd-rare/6355655441.html

(Note: Though located in Powell River, I'm regularly in Victoria and Vancouver and will consider meeting up with serious potential buyers between here and there.)

Selling my 2.1 L Syncro w/16" wheels, rear locking differential. We'd be keeping it were it not for a health condition that makes my gimpy left leg increasingly sore if I have to work a clutch. So we've now purchased a '91 automatic Westfalia, which is much more comfortable for me to drive (my wife likes it too).

The Syncro is reliable, easily cruises down the highway at 120 kph (75 mph), and I was planning to do an engine conversion so we could more easily zip up those long mountain grades, but will leave that option to the next lucky owner.

I'm asking $25,000 Canadian OBO ($20,400 US as of Oct. 21, 2017). If interested, since craigslist won't let me post a link, please contact me for the link to the CARPROOF report. The only item that won't be reflected on this July 2016 report is the minor accident that occurred on Feb. 3, 2017. See details on that accident in the "NOTE" below.

I've put almost $10,000 worth of work into it since I bought it in Apr 2014, including:
--new GoWesty heavy-duty steel bumpers (Fix Auto, Jul 2017)
--new radiator and cooling fan (Fix Auto, Jul 2017)
--alignment checked (Fix Auto, July 2017)
--new rebuilt Delco starter (Jenkins Automotive, Powell River, Mar 2017)
--new front & sliding door seals + upper door lip seals (from Bus Depot, installed by Fix Auto, Powell River, Oct 2016)
--new v-belt and valve covers/clamps/gaskets installed (Aug 2016)
--seam rust repair (Fix Auto, Jul 2017)
--rocker panel gnarly protective black paint that I had done shortly after buying the van has now been extended to fender flares (Fix Auto, Jul 2016)
--tow hitch new wiring (Vanderkemp/U-Haul Sales & Service, Powell R, Jun 2016)
--tailpipe, muffler (from Bus Depot, installed by Jenkins Automotive, June 2016)
--rear axle joints replaced, both sides (Van Wonder, North Vancouver, Mar 2016)
--front outer CV boots replaced (Van Wonder, Mar 2016)
--inner boots, one replaced, the other packed (Van Wonder, Mar 2016)
--oil pressure switch & wiring (Van Wonder, Mar 2016)
--catalytic converter, pre-cat connector pipe, and manifold connector y-pipe (Van Wonder, Mar 2016)
--clutch assembly & resurfaced flywheel (Jenkins Automotive, Nov 2015)
--triple-electrode NGK spark plugs & new spark plug wires (Aug 2015)
--Hi-Lift jack--never used

I have all the receipts.

It also has one original 14" spare tire in the carrier underneath the front of the van, and one full-size spare (16" with new Pirelli tire) that could be mounted with a GoWesty or similar rear bumper swing-away tire carrier.

Items needing attention at some point:
--small coolant leak--appears to be easy fix
--rear wiper doesn't work
--fuel gauge is inaccurate, shows a quarter tank more than it really has!
--front heater fan doesn't work

NOTE: Due to minor head-on collision with an on-coming, out-of-control SUV on snowy Denman Island, BC on Feb. 3, 2017 (I was going approx. 15 kph, they were probably closer to 20 or 30, at time of impact), a new front body panel, radiator, cooling fan, and new GoWesty heavy-duty bumpers have been installed, along with the fresh paint job on the front end. The repairs were worth $5,500 ($5,000 covered by insurance). Bottom-line, the accident was a blessing in disguise as it's resulted in essentially a brand-new front end that has the van looking better than ever.

This is a solid vehicle that's pulled me out of some tight spots in the Powell River backcountry, and she's been great for long road trips, mainly to Victoria, Vancouver, Seattle, across northern Washington, and up into the snowy Okanagan and Kootenay mountains of BC. She's ready for your further TLC and eventual engine upgrade to enhance the beastliness!

00r0r_gyxeKFz2H7k_1200x900.jpg

lost1

It is a nice Syncro. Saw it the other day in the Canadian Tire parking lot. My wife had to stop me from gawking:Wow1:
I need something smaller than my Unimog for the Powell River backcountry...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior