86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
So I learned a little about vacuum advanced timing and where I have caused some problem. So new plan in place now...

I plan to set initial timing at 10* then will adjust my vacuum advance 2* at a time to dial in my idle RPM and A/F mixture. with my cam and lower manifold vacuum I may need to get a canister that comes on at a lower vacuum but will just play around and see. I will try and put vacuum advance at 16 for total timing at idle of 26*, then adjust it up or down to see what happens. I will be using manifold vacuum and not ported for this.

then I will run it up to 3k-4k RPM and check total mechanical advance, 10* initial and what should be 24* mechanical for total of 34*if it needs more then I will have to bump up initial and turn down vacuum the same amount to keep idle happy.

I think I have read that some cammed big blocks like to be around 38* and sometimes higher but not sure where my 496 is gonna be happy.

My issue now is, one I am on ported vacuum which is a mistake and I did not know better, two I suspect bad plug wires maybe, and 3 need new spark plugs, 4 the springs in my distributor may need to be changed.

as I said I have a few small issues combining to make a big problem, but feel I am on the right track to get them all resolved now.

warwgn

Explorer
Ok 3200 RPM and its at 36*, idle 860 rpm shows 18.4* advance, hook up vacuum and it gors to 31.6* then rev it up to 3200 and shows 42.6*

Still has a miss to it but jusy wanted to see where I stand right now.

1leg

Explorer
What Heads are you running. truck heads will not like that much timing. I would think 30-32 total would be all they would like. Also no sense trying to tune with bad plugs and wires. I also like to run a remote coil on HEIs, but if not buy a good AC delco cap, Coil and wires. I have not had any luck with aftermarket parts on street cars and truck. The other thing i like to do on big block is to put heat shield on the sparkplug boots.

What Carb are you running?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-HEI-Coil-Conversion,674.html

warwgn

Explorer
could not resist, I know it has a small miss and is not dialed in perfect but..............

I drove Subzila to work today!!! Was dark out when I left and is supposed to rain like hell today but I hope to leave early today to go to the dentist and get new crown on my tooth if it is in yet.

Anyway, more specs from the gages.....60Mph, 2400 RPM, 17Hg of vacuum, A/F ratio of 13.5, Oil press 47 PSI, Trans temp 125*, H2O temp 195*, Volts 14.5 V, and it runs straight and true even though I have not had it aligned yet. Overall I am happy with it, not thrilled because if I get on it hard it loads up and pops and stumbles so I am sure now that it has a bad plug wire somewhere. I just dont have the $150 on hand to order new plug wires and plugs and the advance curve kit so that will just have to wait till next week to get resolved. Until that time I just wont stomp on it and truthfully I wont be driving it much anyway, prolly just today.

My wife followed me to work in the Camaro since I only got the one seat in it right now, and she verified my speed is right on, got to love a programable speedo!! She said she could hear the radio when we stopped at a light, I had it at 30 to drown out the noise inside. All metal no insulation or carpet and the dang trap door for the fuel tank rattles like crazy, need to screw it back down before I go crazy.

Getting my semi annual bonus next payday so hope to buy new seats and start getting the interior put together so I can start hauling the whole family around in it, something the kids want way more than I do!!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
What Heads are you running. truck heads will not like that much timing. I would think 30-32 total would be all they would like. Also no sense trying to tune with bad plugs and wires. I also like to run a remote coil on HEIs, but if not buy a good AC delco cap, Coil and wires. I have not had any luck with aftermarket parts on street cars and truck. The other thing i like to do on big block is to put heat shield on the sparkplug boots.

What Carb are you running?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-HEI-Coil-Conversion,674.html

hey Jerry, what does that coil do exactly? Does it improve performance or just relocate? I was thinking about getting one, but wanted some input first. Thanks!

1leg

Explorer
hey Jerry, what does that coil do exactly? Does it improve performance or just relocate? I was thinking about getting one, but wanted some input first. Thanks!

They work great, no real performance improvement just allows you to run better coils that last longer. But it won't work on the TBI engines. it's used on the earlier GM HEI distributers.

warwgn

Explorer
Fender fare time.

IMAG1292_zpsf030eafe.jpg

IMAG1290_zps5eaadf5c.jpg

IMAG1291_zps2f32ceab.jpg

IMAG1297_zps47d35a59.jpg

IMAG1293_zps9ba6965f.jpg

IMAG1298_zpsd7fdd190.jpg

IMAG1295_zps9a26d7f5.jpg

IMAG1296_zpsd540cf5e.jpg

IMAG1294_zpse6eb8f3c.jpg

IMAG1300_zpsb17b0d6f.jpg

IMAG1299_zps3d369810.jpg

IMAG1303_zps9784bf92.jpg

IMAG1302_zps204bf06e.jpg

IMAG1301_zps5e6f8c49.jpg

IMAG1304_zps6185071c.jpg

IMAG1308_zps1a4f1302.jpg

IMAG1307_zpsb8c1892d.jpg

IMAG1306_zps68bd0a8a.jpg

IMAG1305_zps8ccbc3e7.jpg

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I have never been a fender flare guy, but this just may have convinced me! Those look really good...nice work! Are you leaving the primer brown look or do you have a color in mind?

warwgn

Explorer
gonna be rust oxide brown for a year or more, then metalic black and charcoal. Got roof racks, bumpers, sliders, and steps to build and interior and A/C. Just a lot of stuff on the list before I do paint.

utherjorge

Observer
Question: you gonna rattle can that whole beast or do something different? How are you going to paint it when you do?

Thanks!

warwgn

Explorer
I have a HVLP spray gun so when it is time I will paint it with that. Prolly gonna set up a green house type plastic sheet paint booth and go at it. Not sure how to paint but like everything else will read up on it and give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier