86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Looks excellent man. Don't you sometimes wish buying a new one was easy? That is a lot of work for the dash, but you can be proud when it's done. Innovation rules.

warwgn

Explorer
More work, sanded glazing putty

IMAG0871.jpg

320 sanding after more primer

IMAG0873.jpg

Last time for primer, then 400 wet sand

IMAG0872.jpg

Now the olive drab filler paint

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0875.jpg

IMAG0876.jpg

Flashed then gloss black, all that is left is dry good then 1000 wet sand and shoot some clear.
IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0879.jpg

IMAG0880.jpg

IMAG0881.jpg

IMAG0882.jpg

Found this under the trim, it says Oct 31 85

IMAG0883.jpg

It turned out ok, but it is a little wavy. Next time I will get long blocks and make it flat.

warwgn

Explorer
Oh wanyed to mention it will not stay glossy, would be to much glare off the windsheild. I still need to do more work on it just got impatient and wanted to see it black, and gloss will show all the problem areas so I used it to make it eaiser for round 6. In the long run will go flat black or grey?

warwgn

Explorer
I still plan to erase the Bacon, gonna turn the brown Black and the Tan gunmetal Grey, and thinking of how to do the inside, it is way eaiser to find seats in grey. I still want to find 4 good front seats with integrated belts and plan to use those to set it up like the new Tahoe's with the pass through to the third row seat so the kids can just walk through and not have to fool with flipping seats down and junk, or kill a child fro crawling over the seat with muddy or dirty shoes.

Still have so far to go to get this thing up and on the road ready to take the whole family along, guess the biggest hold up is finding the 4 captains chairs and 3rd row bench that are in good shape and match. After that I can weld in bracing and mounts and what ever else is needed for the mod, then can sound proof and wiring and carpet, and door panels and all sorts of fun stuff. but will be held a little pending the way I go on the headliner and rear A/C. So much of what I want to do ties together and I really hate having to take stuff back apart to redo it to make something else work.

Anywayall I need is a lot of money and a lot of time followed by a lot more time! I was planning to drive it to Albuquerque next summer, but if I cant get the A/C figured out and going by then we will have to wait till winter or not go. it's 1076 mile form my house to the Parents and with the wife and 3 kids and all the junk they take it would be terrible with out A/C, and winter means X-mas so even more junk to take, and twice as much to bring back.

But for now I just need to finish the dash pad and the bezel projects so I can start getting the inside looking like a complete vehicle again and get all the wiring hanging down buttoned back in to place.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Hope it happens! More time would be excellent to have. It took me a toal of 18 hours just to the deep cleaning I did this past weekend and that wasn't even doing anything else. I fixed little stuff here and there, but nothing major.

warwgn

Explorer
Stopped by the pull a part yesterday to just look, and now I need to go back with some tools as soon as I can. Found a 91 Burb with all the rear A/C stuff still in it and looked like it was in good shape, it also has a good windsheild, rear doors with the defrosters in the glass, full head liner and sun visors, back passenger doors in real good shape, drover rear 1/4 panel that I need, and a few other goodies I am sure. Found some other stuff I may get too, like this gem:

IMAG0892.jpg

IMAG0893.jpg

and this power steering cooler

IMAG0894.jpg

Hope it's all still there when I have time to go back!

warwgn

Explorer
A light came on in my mind while I was sitting at the VA hospital waiting on my appointment, lots of time to think in that place. Anyway I decided to finish the dashpad with a little texture!

remember it was all shiney and glare ready?

IMAG0922.jpg

wel this was the idea I had

IMAG0923.jpg

only took a few min and I was done, it looks really good in person. I also have a can of ruberizied undercoating that may go on top of this, just gotta wait and see how it dries and how durable it seemd.

IMAG0924.jpg

IMAG0925.jpg

IMAG0926.jpg

prolly put it in this weekend after it dries real good and see how it looks.

warwgn

Explorer
Ok so it is official, I have 4.11 gears with a gov lock in the rear. Still need to take the front cover off, but the rear oil was perfect, very clean!!

IMAG0980.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0982.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

Not the best news in the world, but better than an open diff, and ok ratio for my combo of trans and engine.

Spargman

Adventurer
That oil is nice and clean...it's been a long time since I opened up a truck that wasn't mine and the fluid was <black!!

warwgn

Explorer
Yep cant wait to pull the front, I expect it to be the same I hope. Bout to move some money around get this burb back in service, it has been idle for to long!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles