86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
Little preview

20131209_203030-1_zps109c0de9.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Ah, a fresh big block mounted on an engine stand sure makes ones juices start flowing doesn't it :drool:

Looks great!

warwgn

Explorer
Scary moment, I bought a compression tester the other day so I could check what I was getting and glad I did. Ran the oil pum for a bit and getting 68 PSI so started turning the crank and decided fo put the gage on the cylinders. 1, 3, 5, and 7 get about 95 (just turning the crank with a ratchet and it's cold and new rings). Then go to the other side 2 gets 90, 4 gets 80, 6 gets 90 and 8 has nothing! I run the pump again and turn the crank and nothing still but hear it leaking.....

Pull the valve covers and start looking and get it to top dead center and back the rockers off completley and get it to 40 PSI. Start wondering what I did wrong and about then notice this..

20131212_220552_zpsa05cc069.jpg

Look at the other exhaust springs and that all have the seat like this...

20131212_220556_zps779c2188.jpg

Now I am glad I bought the spring compressor!!

Take the spring off and turn it back over so it's the same as the others (dang that other engine builder...)

20131212_220719_zps9e7dc213.jpg

Put it back together and adjust the valves and still only 40, take the rockers loose and turn the crank a few times and nothing. ******.... say heck with it and put valve covers back on and run the pump again and decide to turn the crank while running it and kapow it built compression. Started turning it again and now it gets 80 as well. Temp is about 48 in the garage and I am worn out so done for now.

Since it has large ring gaps for the Keith black pistons and I am only turning it by hand I expect when I fire it up and break it in, I bet when I check it warm after a few hundred miles it wil be up in the 120's or more when using the starter.

Fun night!!

warwgn

Explorer
Got the engine cross member mostly bolted in but got stopped cause cant get my drill in there to make 4 more holes to finish bolting it up.

20131214_135532_zps9cc6cea8.jpg

But my wife is out xmas shopping and she is awesome so is stopping by harbor freight to pick up an angle drill and some new bits for me so I can finish tomorrow. In the mean time I swapped over the pertronics flame thrower stuff into my new summit distributor and got it ready to go. Might be putting it in tomorrow if the weather holds up.

CumminAlong

Observer
Just found this thread, very nice work thus far! You certainly have more patience than me especially with that dash bezzel...sucks about the 496 but looks like she's going to be a mighty beast when it's all done!!!!:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles