'86 Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 turbo diesel, 5spd, 123k. California reg'd, maintenanced

hillbillyhector

many more current pics in my Craigslist ad here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4653620442.html

call or text if seriously interested 707-3218209 (asking 15,500$, I am willing to negotiate on price for the right buyer)

This is a legally imported (older than 25 years for California) JDM market right hand drive van. It has current California reg, pink slip in my name and will never need smog test. (Turbo diesel) a very capable off-road vehicle, many of these vans have made it to some of the most remote areas of the world! (with few mods)

You may be able to find a "cheaper" van, but it will likely need 5k$ in maintenance done, as well as importation fees and full sales tax to DMV for transfer....I have done all the work and paid all the fees.
2spd transfer case, 5spd transmission. Manual locks and windows. Dual A/C blows cold! Rear seating folds into bed, flips forward to face rear, seats 8.

Completely stock other than 15x8 aluminum wheels/oversize M/S tires, torsion bars adjusted to accommodate. Yakima racks, custom lightweight hitch (for rear bike rack)

123k. Mi. Very Recent major service (5k mi ago) including every seal on front rotating assembly: timing belt, water pump, belts...with factory OEM parts. New shocks, recent brake service.

Everything (electrical and mechanical) works. It squeaks and groans a bit (almost 30 years old) every one of these vans does. (I've owned a few) it has a couple small dings/scratches, as well as a couple small surface rust areas (very isolated, the frame/undercarriage/floor is absolutely rust free) for age and mileage, it has obviously been maintained and loved. Better condition and less expensive than comparable Volkswagen syncro van!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 2.34.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 2.34.27 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 859

hillbillyhector

What kind of range/mileage does it have?

cannot speak to the range question accurately...I believe it has a 16 gallon tank...fuel economy varies greatly depending on driving style and elevation change....should be in the mid twenties... I'm sure there are tweaks and tuning that can be performed to squeeze more out...but the drive train is completely stock.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
is there potential for smog requirements to your knowledge?

good on you for getting one of these into California.

pdsftw

Adventurer
Were you driving on Highway 1 in Big Sur recently? I saw one that looked very similar to this recently at the Limekiln Creek Campground. If not, you have a twin, haha.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
"You may be able to find a "cheaper" van, but it will likely need 5k$ in maintenance done, as well as importation fees and full sales tax to DMV for transfer....I have done all the work and paid all the fees."

Is the price on this van based on that statement alone? Or because its legal in Cali? I have been looking for one of these vans over the last few weeks and your price is about 3.5 times higher than anyone I saw I'm just curious does this have any special modifications or things I'm missing that tremendously increase its value? I am finding them with full maintenance with receipts and including extras for camping, lifts, tires, winch etc. for 3-5k USD so yours is 10 grand more than the most expensive one I saw. If you say its because its already imported that is only 2.5% tax on sale price of 5k USD and then 6% local sale tax on the sale price. Now if you are saying being in Cali added tons of money to the equation I understand that. Im just trying to compare the ones I've seen and looked into bring to Detroit and I can get a well maintained 1990 with about 110,000 miles for 4k USD, plus $110 (2.5% import)(which is free actually if under $400), plus $240 (sales tax), plus $74 (plates and title). Am I totally missing something here in this equation? You own one so you know the market better than me Im just curious.

This is a nice clean Delica for sure and I hope it does sell for 15 grand or close to it. Good luck.

-edit. I just did some more searching and can have a LHD euro market Delica shipped and imported and still be 5k under that price. Im just trying to show you the market in case you haven't searched around.

Just so I can have facts to back me up. 800 euro about 1500 USD and plus 2200 shipping plus import and tax and title. LHD manual diesel to my driveway less than 5k USD. Yes it needs work and no I have no idea on the maintenance obviously. The ones in Canada have full maintenance and under 125k miles and they are same price. So I'm trying to understand if you did 10k in maintenance? Or it has some special features.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...ate=1990-12-31&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&noec=1

Heres one with a full camper and its about 3800 USD. Add shipping, import, and maintenance and you still only around 10 grand out of pocket
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...ate=1990-12-31&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&noec=1

And here is the one I have talked about in my statement about Canada. 1990 similar miles, full maintenance and $5200 USD. So you are looking at 6 grand or less to bring through customs and have it in your USA driveway.
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/cto/4700476233.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier