86 Isuzu trooper diesel - Georgia - $2500

Jared Bybee

Observer
http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/4034709154.html

This would qualify as "needs TLC"

From ad:
Looking for an owner who can appreciate what this vehicle is.
Rare 86 Diesel turbo trooper.5 speed.4x4 works.will run and drive but based on how far you are from me,I would advise a trailer.
Rack on top is one modified from a land rover.Cost $950 new.
119k miles,have owners manual and original dealer invoice with all options and selling price.
Even with the issue slisted below,this is a steal.SUV is SOLID.
1)needs turbo or rebuild this one.
2)needs some front end work,mostly on passenger side.upper ball joint is bad.
3)tires are crappy.they roll,hold air but are worn.This vehicle was mostly a farm vehicle when I found it.
4)sliding glass on passenger side is plexiglass.works fine.
I have a lot of pics,I can even do a video if needed for serious buyer who has cash.I have Alabama title in hand.
334-4 zero 2-1 2 eight 0

trooperT\diesel

1980s ZOO nut case
this is going to be info over load:snorkel:, but ive trimmed it as best i can..

normally my first question is rust how much, but for the diesels.....rust is 2nd to the up-graded dealer engine block.

does it have the oil vapor tank under the hood, behind the bat? it was part of the up-graded gen3 short block.
makes it more or less a given that it has the replacement block with the reinforced engine rods.

with out this tank in my opinion, theres really no added value to the auto. its the same value as if it was gas powerd, do to the insane risk of a rod letting go do to damage done before you had it..you don't know if it was ran under 3,000 at all times or bashed against the limiter of 4,300 rpms in 1st or 2nd gear at WOT :Wow1:
SANY1353.jpgtruck2520008.jpgtruck2520011.jpgtruck2520014.jpg

other then that the two diesels ive goten have toasted there tranys largely do to the fact that these tranys use engine oil and most places just slap gear oil in them and call it good. to source a trans, you have to get one from a 86/87 trooper thats gas powered. youd be nuts to try and find one out of a diesel trop or pup 86/87 as theres just not many out there...
just swap the housing and front bearing retainer and it will be a carbon copy of the original trans gearing and all...though the work of dropping and installing the trans is no easy thing!!!!

there are 4wd trannys in 81/85 that fit the diesel but there all 4sp. mix it with the 4.55 gears in a trop and you got a good ride for 3K at 60 mph with 31s.

also the doors, door glass and side glass for the 2 door are getting really hard to find, as they where only sold 84/88 though there was the rare RS in 89 that brings other issues that don't relate to the 86 your looking at.

also under stand this is a 86 model and it still has the early 10/8 axils not the 12/10s that the 88 ups do...its just fine for off road with the stock engines as there about 100hp or less...but dont go trying to feed 150+hp though them in off road spinning and abusing them, as they will not last to long!!!!
OE LSDs are nearly non existent only two years of the rare turbo impulse car in about 87/88 have a LSD that fits the rear 10 bolt..for the front 8 bolt, i really don't think one was ever made word wide..
as a alternative i swapped a 88/91 disc brake 12 bolt in to the rear of one of my 86s braking power jumped near 50%:Wow1::Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles