85 Surf-roamer (4runner camper)

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hi guys,

I've always liked pop-up truck campers but the 4wd here is an '85 4unner and not a pickup. I like trying to do what I can with what I have (or can get for cheap), so here's the low-budget adventure rig.

The wagon:
1985 Toyota 4Runner
22RE w 5 spd
4:1 low-range from AA
Lockright rear locker

OME shocks
OME front springs
Rear add-a-leaves and shackles

Chicago Electric 8000 winch
All-pro front bumper

31x10.50R15 BFG AT
15x6 Toyota SR5 Steel

The camper:
1988 Four Seasons Magnum pop up (abt 7.5' floor length)

To make them go together, I trimmed the seams on either side of the tailgate opening (I think they made it narrow to discourage the use of truck campers), fold down the rear seat, remove the rear seat bottoms and remove the tailgate strikers.

Sorry about the night pics...I'll try for more later.

I think I'll find some airbags for the rear axle--it's not the lightest camper ever. I'll mount the license plate to the camper and put a light on it. I think I'll get one of those rows of 3 red marker lights to put on the back of the camper too...the truck taillights are blocked at some angles. I'm also working on improving the seal between the cab and camper. There's some pipe insulation between them now but there are a few gaps.

I think it'll make a great mobile ham radio shack, bluegrass jam crash pad, amateur photography base, and home-away-from-home for the dogs.

Eric

P1010533.JPG
P1010531.JPG
P1010532.JPG

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Interesting.

How do you keep rain water out of your interior?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Thanks! The gears are stock 4.10's. I don't know any numbers about the camper weight...my guess would be around 1100 lbs empty.
As for the interior, hopefully the cabover will keep rain away from the back of the cab and the water will drip off the camper side overhangs without running into the bed. The camper's only been on there two days--I will report back later! If water does get in, it shouldn't be too big a deal...there is no carpet, just herculiner, and all the drain plugs are removed.

Eric

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I would love a pass through--that was in my original plans. I'm not sure about it now...this camper has the L-shaped dinette with a bench going across the front with the water tank under it. I think it'd be tough to put a pass-through on this one. Maybe I'll take out the front bench and tank someday and start cutting but I'm not sure yet.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Passthrough

Interesting rig, for sure.

I used to have an '85 runner, and I personally think that a pass-through would be a waste of effort.

The seats are pretty low on the runner (close to the floor), and even if you removed the center console and stuff, I imagine it would be difficult to pull yourself up out of the seat to utilize a pass-through.

In reverse, going through from the cabin and getting into the driving position would be a challenge.

Looking at the Toyota-based Winnebago’s that were built a few years ago, I doubt that the pass-through was really used very much.

I'm just saying that I don't think it would be used enough to justify the necessary modifications. Keep the L-shaped dinette.

I know it's common on the big Euro rigs to have an emergency pass-through (crawl through), so that you can move the rig in the middle of the night if you have to, but depending on where you plan on going in this rig, I'm not sure it would be necessary.

But that's just me...

instantninja

if you do want to put a pass through, you could sill keep the L-shaped dinette, just have the part of the bench that goes infront of the pass through hinged to move out tof the way. you would have to remove the water tank, but you could get two smaller ones to go in the parts on either side of the pass through. it might be some work, but if its what you want, it will be worth it.
if it was me i'd have a pass through.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pass-throughs, but I just question if it is worth the trouble on this particular rig.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Howdy howdy...sorry, I've been away from the computer for a while.

The convertible L-shape with passthrough is an interesting idea. I may save that for further on down the road though. Right now I'm working on some basics (latches for the cabinets that swing open when on the road, fixes for peeling laminates, get a working propane system, and see if the fridge works. If it does, it needs a new door seal. It's also getting a small solar -charging system. I hope to keep the camper electrically-seperate from the truck.

I got to try a little trail-testing last night after installing the helper-leaves. The stability is better than I expected. When I first put the camper on there, I wondered if it would be able to handle anything more than a curb without flopping on its side. I'm pleasantly surprised!

P1010565.JPG
P1010567.JPG
P1010569.JPG

Wow this thing is killer we love it!

Hi guys,

I've always liked pop-up truck campers but the 4wd here is an '85 4unner and not a pickup. I like trying to do what I can with what I have (or can get for cheap), so here's the low-budget adventure rig.

The wagon:
1985 Toyota 4Runner
22RE w 5 spd
4:1 low-range from AA
Lockright rear locker

OME shocks
OME front springs
Rear add-a-leaves and shackles

Chicago Electric 8000 winch
All-pro front bumper

31x10.50R15 BFG AT
15x6 Toyota SR5 Steel

The camper:
1988 Four Seasons Magnum pop up (abt 7.5' floor length)

To make them go together, I trimmed the seams on either side of the tailgate opening (I think they made it narrow to discourage the use of truck campers), fold down the rear seat, remove the rear seat bottoms and remove the tailgate strikers.

Sorry about the night pics...I'll try for more later.

I think I'll find some airbags for the rear axle--it's not the lightest camper ever. I'll mount the license plate to the camper and put a light on it. I think I'll get one of those rows of 3 red marker lights to put on the back of the camper too...the truck taillights are blocked at some angles. I'm also working on improving the seal between the cab and camper. There's some pipe insulation between them now but there are a few gaps.

I think it'll make a great mobile ham radio shack, bluegrass jam crash pad, amateur photography base, and home-away-from-home for the dogs.

Eric

View attachment 35239
View attachment 35240
View attachment 35241

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior