85' Skamper 080S repair and questions

CyberRube2

Hey all, so I picked up this Skamper 080s at almost free price of 100 bucks lol. I knew it was going to need the entire roof re-done but what caught me off guard was the extreme damage in the front overhang corner. I was lied to by the previous owner who said it was crumbled up because it fell forward. It was crumbled up because it was rotted, and he tried just screwing in the aluminum panels.

Here is a video of what I'm working with

1985 Skamper 08S Project - YouTube

and here is a video of the front damage:

1985 Skamper Wood Damage - YouTube

So, my other question is, I plan to redo the front overhang completely and I wanted to know the side boards that are the overhang, do they go the entire length of the Kamper? I dont think they do but I'm curious if anyone may know the answer. It seems to me they are 1x3" pieces on top of each other. See pic to see what I mean:

IMG_0100.jpg

Photobug

I am not sure if you got a great deal or were ripped off. Either way Looks like a lot of work ahead of you.

Not sure how they were built but knowing a little bit about cantilevered wood.... I would guess the wood goes the entire length or a large part of it. You need to have it secured far back to be able to cantilever, you cant just tack on the board to the end and it to be structurally secure.

One option is to scarf in a single board and then another one at a different location along the body of the camper so the two joints do not overlap. A lap joint done correctly or glued joint can be as strong or stronger than a solid piece of wood.

CyberRube2

I am not sure if you got a great deal or were ripped off. Either way Looks like a lot of work ahead of you.

Not sure how they were built but knowing a little bit about cantilevered wood.... I would guess the wood goes the entire length or a large part of it. You need to have it secured far back to be able to cantilever, you cant just tack on the board to the end and it to be structurally secure.

One option is to scarf in a single board and then another one at a different location along the body of the camper so the two joints do not overlap. A lap joint done correctly or glued joint can be as strong or stronger than a solid piece of wood.

The Top board i think does go entire length, which I may be able to do, the bottom ones probably go up to the window. I’ll see what I do. But ya, my plan is to cut them at different areas.

another option so I dont have to peel so far back is to get some aluminum flat stock and make a T or use a thin steel to make a T from the bottom of the front up to top board and back towards window and screw the top board to that

CyberRube2

Ok, made progress on the build. It’s honestly not that hard. I ended up bracing the interior side with some metal plating. The outside I made a brace out of some sheet metal I had and will put the aluminum skin over it. I can hang from it and it moves zero!!! Once I put more support brackets it will be solid. Probably better than factory honestly. Half the crap on these things are just held together with staples and glue.

B1234E14-06F5-441A-BD9C-E9AFD1175661.jpeg

CyberRube2

Finally finished the front damage. Just need to tweak it a bit, clean up the caulking. I may end up coating it in roll on bed liner. Need to research it a bit more. If I can get a good 2-3 years of use on this I’ll be happy. Need to redo the stupid job on the roof the previous owner did and patch up the canvas.

7327C622-0114-40F7-A931-AA9E4118D2E7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles