85 Ford Fiesta Camper Van

D

Deleted member 9101

The 351 is a damn good motor...but its also 30+ years old. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

The carb will most certainly need to be rebuilt and every gasket on the motor will need to be replaced. All the belts and hoses will need to be replaced. The ignition coil is probably shot and the motor will need to be flushed throughly before it's run. The tranny and rear axle will also need to be flushed and filled. Don't be surprised if the rear main starts leaking or the tranny input seal blows.... Those seals are way past their prime.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the carb. I'd throw it and the manifold that it sits on in the trash where they belong and get a modern manifold designed for low rpm power and a 4bbl fuel injection kit. You'll make more power, use less fuel, and not have to change jets or adjust it. If you are up to it, you can swap the cam out for one with a modern profile and pick up some power and fuel economy. I'd also toss all the emissions crap in the trash along with the carb.

Fill the cylinders full of oil, let it sit for a few days, then try to turn it over by hand. 10 years is a long time for bearings and rings to go with out lube. You can also get an adapter that lets you prime the oil pump using your drill before you try to start it.

If it's cheap, and rust free, I say go for it so long as you have planned on and can afford to rebuild everything yourself. If you are not comfortable tearing down a motor or pulling a transmission, this might not be a good project for you.

Photobug

@Photobug, are you willing to share the price on this one? It might help folks decide if it's worth it or not. Interior condition means a lot too. It does look taken care of. I'd still look newer for the reasons I've stated above but at the same time I appreciate classic stuff. I know, hard to think that 1985 is classic but it's getting to be.

The owner is asking $4800. I know it will need windows resealed, new tires and some repairs of interior. All mechanical repairs are being made by the owner and his son.
Spark plugs wires valve cover seals, belts. I don't know about hoses but I am comfortable replacing hoses.

I will have to reseal the windows up top
New tires
Rebuild tables and maybe rebuild kitchen to work with our tools.
New water heater.

One thing I really like about this is the layout.
Behind the driver and passenger there is a dining table that folds down to an extra bed on the left
On the right is the kitchen.
Behind that is a narrow bathroom on one side storage opposite it.
All the way in the back is another dining area.

Not that I ever want more than my wife and I onboard, but I like the idea of 3 potential beds and 2 dining areas. Room for the dogs below while sleeping up top with a spare area to hang out if someone wants to stay up later or get up early. I am looking hard for something like this layout in a newer rig.

Photobug

The 351 is a damn good motor...but its also 30+ years old. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

The carb will most certainly need to be rebuilt and every gasket on the motor will need to be replaced. All the belts and hoses will need to be replaced. The ignition coil is probably shot and the motor will need to be flushed throughly before it's run.

I have a 2003 Ram I replaced all the fluids after I bought it. I do most of the work myself but have a shade tree mechanic help me with anything beyond my skills. The current owner and his son have it running and are doing a lot of what you suggest.

Eb1970

Here's my 1988 Fiesta. Fuel injected 351, but I have no issues with carburetors. I have a 1970 bronco that is carbureted and it runs great. The windows on mine all leaked, poorly installed like most rvs. I like the 3rd generation's looks, and the chassis of the econoline has been kept similar from 1975 to current.

Attachments

• campervan 12.jpg
    campervan 12.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 10

Photobug

Here's my 1988 Fiesta. Fuel injected 351, but I have no issues with carburetors. I have a 1970 bronco that is carbureted and it runs great. The windows on mine all leaked, poorly installed like most rvs. I like the 3rd generation's looks, and the chassis of the econoline has been kept similar from 1975 to current.

Thanks for sharing. Did the 98 come fuel injected? Looks FWD, did you make the upgrade yourself?

Does yours have the head in the back or bed/table in the back?

Eb1970

Thanks for sharing. Did the 98 come fuel injected? Looks FWD, did you make the upgrade yourself?

Head in the back. It's a 88, it came injected, 1987 was the first year for fuel injection in these vans.I did the 4wd conversion, 2005 super duty axles, it didn't cost that much because I did the work myself and shopped around for parts, timberline does make a kit, it's 4 link, I stayed with radius arms on mine. Working on repaint as you can see, and remodeling the interior.

Attachments

• campervan14.jpg
    campervan14.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 10

Photobug

Some photos of the layout of this van. I have been looking at alternatives in Class B vans and see nothing like this. I like the Class B vans but this particular layout really ticks all the boxes for me.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 5.45.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.20.58 AM.png

Photobug

More photos that make me think this is a unique layout.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 6.58.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 6.58.41 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 6.58.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 6.58.30 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier