SOLD - '85 4Runner (22RE) SR5 4x4 with FlipPac camper conversion - $6500 OBO

jvdberg

Always had a dream to put a FlipPac on a 1st Gen 4Runner, as it would create a great overlanding vehicle for exploring the Southwest. Realized this dream in 2013 when I bought a FlipPac as an almost completed conversion project from a fellow forum member in 2012. In 2012 Life happened, and I decided to move back to South Africa for at least a couple of years. But not before doing an Amazing road trip from Tucson, AZ to Sacramento, CA in 2013!

Really sad to let it go, but the time has come after all these years to sell my baby:

GPTempDownload-73.jpg

Vehicle History:

Bought the 4Runner in 2008 form a local guy in Tucson, AZ. Got the FlipPac as an almost completed project of a fellow forum member in 2012. Autobodyshop completed the glassing on the FlipPac in 2013. Used it as my daily driver until it was stored in Davis, CA in 2013. Started truck back up for the first time last month!

The Good:
'85 4Runner with NO major rust! (Around 240k miles on the clock)
Almost one of a kind 1st Gen 4Runner with FlipPac combination!
4 Brand new Tires (See pics).
Old Man Emu suspension - including steering stabilizer. (probably only done 5k miles on the OME).
Did oil change before test driving last month for a short distance.

The Bad:
Some surface rust - as to be expected on a vehicle this age - as it spend it's life mainly in AZ and inland CA.
Did not test 4x4 - but was working great when parked in 2013.
FlipPac in tent in 'OK' condition but will need replacement in a couple of years.
PO replaced the steering column stalk with a non-SR5 one - so no way to test the cruise control.
PO did apply bed-liner to the truck floor.
PO did a what looks to be a Maaco respray of the truck as the original paint sun faded.
Had to patch the main EFI harness as something chew trough it while it was in storage. But seems to be working fine after patching. Harness will need replacement.
Interior is rough, but to be expected I guess at this age.
Bought the FlipPac without torsion bar (Replacement is $349), so I did the torsion bar delete mod some other folks did.
FlipPac has a few sports on seams where water is penetrating, will with have to do some fiberglass repairs.

The downright Ugly:
Truck has been standing without being driven since 2013. Started up (although idle is rough until heated up) and is running.
Brake pedal very squishy - will need to replace brake fluid at least.
Needs pinion angle alignment on rear due to (default) OME 2.5" lift.
Can't remember if it was #3 or #4 cylinder spark plug hole that had to be helicoiled due to a suspected spark plug cross treading. But gave no problems yet
No windscreen wiper fluid container.

Will post more details below, if I recall any more pertinent information.

Please PM me if interested.

GPTempDownload-47.jpg
GPTempDownload-45.jpg
GPTempDownload-41.jpg
GPTempDownload-73.jpg
GPTempDownload-28.jpg
GPTempDownload-76.jpg
GPTempDownload-55.jpg
GPTempDownload-69.jpg
GPTempDownload-6.jpg
GPTempDownload-3.jpg

jvdberg

will you sell just the Flippac?
is it in davis now?

Hi! Thanks, would really prefer to sell it as a unit as this stage. But let's see how it goes....

Yes it's currently located in Davis, CA.

Other details I realized I forgot to mention:
Manual transmission.
Brand new battery
New 6 Ton Jack

Jay61

Nice truck. If it would not cost so much to get it to Georgia I would be moving money around right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior