83 Suburban build - Big truck for a big family!

Beerdy

Observer
The parts have started coming in. Still need to get the cooling system thought out. Not sure if I'm going to upgrade it all, or stick with OEM stuff.
Should be starting this weekend getting the fluids drained and everything prepped.
The exciting part is, my kids are going to be helping me. My dad never worked on cars, so I didn't get a chance to learn a lot of this stuff as a kid. My children will not have that excuse. They are going to turn wrenches and tighten screws, scrape their knuckles and cut their hands, and it will all be documented with video and pictures.
I have four kids from 8 years old to 2, and they are going to create a tv show and blog, documenting the progress of this build. My 8 and 7 year olds are really excited about this. The oldest is going to edit the video that will be shot by mom and dad, and my only daughter (the seven year old) will be running the blog. My 4 year old desperately wants to be with daddy so he'll be excited to get out there and work on the truck, and my 2 year old... well he's 2. He'll probably end up as a gofer.

Jelorian

Adventurer
The parts have started coming in. Still need to get the cooling system thought out. Not sure if I'm going to upgrade it all, or stick with OEM stuff.
Should be starting this weekend getting the fluids drained and everything prepped.
The exciting part is, my kids are going to be helping me. My dad never worked on cars, so I didn't get a chance to learn a lot of this stuff as a kid. My children will not have that excuse. They are going to turn wrenches and tighten screws, scrape their knuckles and cut their hands, and it will all be documented with video and pictures.
I have four kids from 8 years old to 2, and they are going to create a tv show and blog, documenting the progress of this build. My 8 and 7 year olds are really excited about this. The oldest is going to edit the video that will be shot by mom and dad, and my only daughter (the seven year old) will be running the blog. My 4 year old desperately wants to be with daddy so he'll be excited to get out there and work on the truck, and my 2 year old... well he's 2. He'll probably end up as a gofer.

Sounds like an awesome project especially that you have the kids involved! Congrats on the new rig and good luck getting her sorted out. Looking forward to your progress!

Beerdy

Observer
I've been slacking... a lot. I haven't touched this truck until this weekend. I do feel back about that. But all that has changed.
I was originally going to rebuild the engine, but with Summit Racing selling a new crate engine for $1550 shipped to my door, I couldn't pass that up..

I started buying parts that I knew I'd want to replace like the PS pump, radiator, water pump, distributor/plugs/wires, carb, etc. As of last Thursday, I had everything in.
Side story - I took the day off of work so I could be there when the engine was delivered. The guy showed up promptly at 1030 and opened the back of the truck only to see that the 6 foot high pallet of vegetables had toppled over. My engine was behind that, so he had to move all of the produce out of the way, restack it, then get to my engine. I was his first stop, so he didn't even notice that whoever loaded the truck didn't secure the pallet. I hopped up in the truck to give him a hand and even volunteered to dispose of some of the strapping that was supposed to hold the pallet vertical. I was going to the dump anyway, so no big deal.
Anyway, on Saturday myself and an awesome volunteer went to work tearing the truck apart.
We removed the exhaust from the headers back, both drive shafts, and the transfer case, then started to tackle the actual engine.
We got most of that knocked out as well, including the starter, belts, radiator, and the mystery box in the upper left hand corner of the engine picture. We think that it's an engine heater (you can see the 110 plug in the picture).
. The engine is just about ready to come out. When we get it pulled, and I'm going to replace the clutch, clean up any other parts that are going to transfer to the new engine, then reinstall.

Attachments

• ****** IS that.jpg
    ****** IS that.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Drive Shafts.jpg
    Drive Shafts.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Transfer case with helper.jpg
    Transfer case with helper.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 9

rayra

Expedition Leader

Fantastic! All of this is reason enough alone to do the work. The time with and teaching the kids is invaluable. Create in them the skills and self-reliance and confidence that will serve them well the rest of their lives.

As for parts, looks fine. The SBC is a forgiving engine, parts-wise. But caution when you start looking at 'performance' parts as there is such a huge variety that it becomes easy to work at cross-purposes. So if you start looking at upgraded parts fix a goal in mind, horsepower vs torque, high-speed cruising or low speed crawl.

If you haven't ordered your timing chain set yet, I've got a good double roller chain set that I never had the chance to swap into my old high mileage motor. It's been sitting in my parts collection for several years, but still good as new. If you want to use it let me know, I'll mail it to you.

doublerollerset_zpsyquyvhya.jpg

eta heh, didn't read the latest posts first.

How'd the old carb and intake look? bottom side of the carb, th einfamous quadrajet leak spots? Was there a puddle of cooked crud on the floor of the intake manifold, directly under those carb leaks?

cyclic

Adventurer
While you cave the transfer case out, may as well change the input and both output shaft seals. Much easier while you have it apart let me tell you! ( As my front output drips on the driveway AFTER replacing the input seal ) :mad:

superbuickguy

Explorer
While you cave the transfer case out, may as well change the input and both output shaft seals. Much easier while you have it apart let me tell you! ( As my front output drips on the driveway AFTER replacing the input seal ) :mad:

Mine is leaking from the split in the case - why did GM put Dodge parts on their trucks? sheesh ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles